Gransnet forums

Chat

What don’t you have at home that others consider normal?

(231 Posts)
NotAGran55 Sun 02-Oct-22 06:05:42

Topic borrowed from MN.

My husband and I have never worn slippers since we were young children.

NotSpaghetti Sun 09-Oct-22 16:31:11

ajswan
My son would prefer a laundry service to ironing.
Maybe that's what I'm missing!

Sheian62 Sat 08-Oct-22 08:19:29

Dishwasher, tumble dryer

M0nica Thu 06-Oct-22 07:10:12

....and then made cottage cheese from the milk that went off so quickly in summer.

watermeadow Wed 05-Oct-22 18:00:20

No television.

DaisyL Wed 05-Oct-22 11:24:51

People often say 'I don't know how you have the time for....' whatever it is that they don't like doing - with the implication that if you prefer reading to gardening (their particular hobby) you are somehow lazier and by implication inferior. It's very nice to relax in front of Netflix in the evening - and we all have time for the things we want to do!

Chardy Wed 05-Oct-22 10:52:47

dolphindaisy

At the moment - a fridge, ours gave up last weekend and can't get a new one till this weekend. How on earth did we manage without them?

Taking you literally dolphindaisy
Every home had a cold larder and put the milk bottle/container in a dish of cold water.

dolphindaisy Tue 04-Oct-22 19:44:32

At the moment - a fridge, ours gave up last weekend and can't get a new one till this weekend. How on earth did we manage without them?

Grandma29 Tue 04-Oct-22 19:23:49

Dish washer, tumble dryer

Doodledog Tue 04-Oct-22 18:20:37

Well that's me told, isn't it? grin

I wasn't being confrontational (accusing people of 'droning on' might be though!) You asked where people found the time and I pointed out that having Netflix doesn't mean you have to have it on all day. Sorry if that's 'banal discourse', but you started it grin.

Candelle Tue 04-Oct-22 18:16:43

I am not quite sure what it is that you want me to say but you seem very confrontational.

When I wrote ' where do people find the time', I meant nothing more or less than that.

Surely it goes without saying that our lives are all different, some people have more time than others to watch television and some people make more of their time to watch television. By doing so, that eliminates something else, whether it is sitting reading a book or contemplating their navel. Time has to be found.

In my life I could make time to watch television but that doesn't suit me so I don't. In that sentence there is no implied criticism of any one who does find the time to watch Netflix and I am at a loss as to why you drone on about it.

I know family members who pay for Netflix but barely watch it, which to me is a waste.

Shall we end this rather banal discourse? I stand by my comment of 'where do people find the time?'.

Doodledog Tue 04-Oct-22 16:36:40

Absolutely, that's your choice.

There is no right or wrong!

Oh yes, I know - I was responding to the 'where do people find the time?' question.

Zetacatty Tue 04-Oct-22 16:33:59

I’ve never owned a deep fat fryer. But I think I’ve got everything else!

Candelle Tue 04-Oct-22 15:34:21

'Doodledog

Lucca

CAndelle
As for me, we don't have: Netflix (where do people find the time?

There are those who don’t have a busy busy full life you know, or who can’t get out and about .

Yes, and those who do have a busy life but like to choose from a broader range of programmes than are on the main 5 channels.

Just because you have a few streaming services (or more than one TV for that matter) doesn’t mean that you are sitting in front of them day and night'

Absolutely, that's your choice.

There is no right or wrong!

Doodledog Tue 04-Oct-22 15:12:03

Lucca

CAndelle

There are those who don’t have a busy busy full life you know, or who can’t get out and about .

Yes, and those who do have a busy life but like to choose from a broader range of programmes than are on the main 5 channels.

Just because you have a few streaming services (or more than one TV for that matter) doesn’t mean that you are sitting in front of them day and night.

Candelle Tue 04-Oct-22 13:46:54

'Lucca

CAndelle

There are those who don’t have a busy busy full life you know, or who can’t get out and about .'

Lucca, I am well aware of just how much a boon a television can be to those infirm or alone.

My comment should not be taken as a critisicm of those who do enjoy Netflix and/or similar subscriptions!

My children, both with very busy jobs both have Netflix but only manage to watch the odd series.

I was merely stating that we don't haven't time to watch everything we have chosen to record. Maybe we are 'greedy recorders'. Having a subscription service would only compound matters and send me into a complete spin.

I enjoy silence or the radio during the day and only put the box on in the evenings, hence not having enough time to watch everything that looked interesting.

My choice!

nipsmum Tue 04-Oct-22 12:58:32

Dishwasher
Tumble
Air fryer
Sky
Alexa or equivalent

Yammy Tue 04-Oct-22 09:44:41

Only one T.V.
An exit[gate] out of the back garden
Gas to cook or heat

Frankie51 Tue 04-Oct-22 09:16:21

Central heating or a boiler. I've never had central heating and I do find when I go into a house with it I feel overwhelmed by the stuffiness . I have a log burner (clean burn)., 2 gas stoves a small electric heater in the bathroom and one in the bedroom which are only used when it's cold for half a hour at the most. I have an instant gas hot water heater in the bathroom which supplies all the hot water. Thermal curtains and blinds and door curtains keep the house cosy.

Vintagenonna Tue 04-Oct-22 08:27:29

Alcohol.

I think there is some around somewhere but not sure where.

MerylStreep Tue 04-Oct-22 08:26:28

LillyFlower
I’m assuming that you don’t have a SMART tv so therefore had to buy a fire stick to turn it into one to enable you to watch streaming services.

JackyB Tue 04-Oct-22 07:34:32

suzikyoo

Twitter
Facebook
Instagram
Tiktok
Alexa
Gardening tools
Wheelbarrow
Icing tube
Scented candles
Pressure cooker
Netflix
Britbox
Sky
(but I do have fun in other ways!!)

What is an "icing tube"?

Should I have one?

(Apologies if this has been since explained, I'm still ploughing through the thread)

Lucca Tue 04-Oct-22 06:19:45

CAndelle

Mom3 Tue 04-Oct-22 06:10:46

Don't have a big screen tv. The small one we have is fine. No air fryer. I don't know how you get along without a tumble clothes dryer. No electric toothbrush.

Lilyflower Tue 04-Oct-22 05:55:08

MibbsXX . Sorry to hear that. Hope it all improves soon.

I don’t wear slippers either as I don’t think they are elegant enough. Complete vanity as I have Renauld’s Syndrome and permanently cold extremities. (I wear socks and indoor-only shoes’.)

Otherwise:-
Kitchen island
Any paid for video/audio media subscriptions (though I hijack the kids’ through their generous sharing)
Smart technology anything
Potential spyware like Alexa
Knickknacks
Pets (though I love other people’s cats)
Sleepwear (I sleep in clean underwear)
Modern furniture (I love antiques and older pieces)
Plastic windows, frames or doors
But I have and use a microwave, Dyson, robot vacuum, dishwasher, tumbledryer, air fryer, fan oven, slow cooker, stand mixer, electric knife, iron and ironing board (fanatical ironer), window vacuum, leaf blower, petrol mower, car.

They are the staff!

Aldom Tue 04-Oct-22 05:44:31

MibsXX

Money
Food
Security

Well said. Sending you some flowers flowers