Gransnet forums

Chat

What Do You Have at Home that Others Think is Abnormal? ?

(79 Posts)
FannyCornforth Sun 02-Oct-22 09:07:01

Hello smile
Following on from NotaGran’s thread…
What do you got in your gaff that is on a sliding scale from Slightly Quirky, to Incomprehensibly Bonkers?

M0nica Tue 04-Oct-22 10:18:19

Not sure Biglouis we also have a houseful of antique and inherited furniture and both DC also have housefuls of inherited and secondhand furniture - oh, and housefuls of books as well.

DGD (15) is also buying and painting secondhand furniture, shops in charity shops, and books.......!

biglouis Mon 03-Oct-22 16:27:06

No one who owns a lot of books and talks to plants can be all bad.

Apart from a TV stand and my white goods all my furniture is antique or inherited. I expect thats pretty odd.

ShazzaKanazza Mon 03-Oct-22 16:12:53

We have a lot of large old family framed photos. Great great grandparents of our kids. We were going to put them in our bedroom but the kids thought it was weird so we put them in DHs study and they still think it’s odd why we would want them up.

FannyCornforth Mon 03-Oct-22 16:02:40

Juliet I very recently learned that you need to drill a hole in the chestnut for top notch spider deterrence. It’s the smell, I imagine
? ➡️ ??

Juliet27 Mon 03-Oct-22 15:56:23

henetha

Lots of shiny new conkers scattered around the house, which I picked up in the park yesterday, in the hope that they really do keep spiders away.

I found a spider resting on one of ours!!?

Joseanne Mon 03-Oct-22 15:52:00

A table tennis table.

Lovetopaint037 Mon 03-Oct-22 15:09:47

aggie

I have about ( maybe more ) paintings that I have painted at classes , all framed , in the bottom of various cupboards and a few on the walls behind my chair , in a dark hall
My family can’t think why I keep doing them when I won’t sell them !
I don’t think they are good enough , but love doing them !
I can’t bear to bin them either !

You are me!!!I could write the above. My paintings cover 28 years of painting my grandchildren from babies to adults plus other members of the family.

Ali08 Mon 03-Oct-22 13:20:11

Elless

I have spiders everywhere, keep meaning to get a house sign saying ‘Cobwebs’ to put up. Love peoples faces when the notice the one in the living room ?

I love the sign on your gate, & definitely get that house name plaque, it's brilliant!!

I don't much care for spiders, though if they stay away from me I'll let them share my house happily. In your house, I'd be wondering if any were actually real and about to abseil down to me?!

Ali08 Mon 03-Oct-22 13:17:16

aggie

I have about ( maybe more ) paintings that I have painted at classes , all framed , in the bottom of various cupboards and a few on the walls behind my chair , in a dark hall
My family can’t think why I keep doing them when I won’t sell them !
I don’t think they are good enough , but love doing them !
I can’t bear to bin them either !

Oh thank you, I thought I was alone in making things - crochet, decoupage, art, etc, etc, etc - and then not selling them as I think no one else will possibly find them good enough to buy!
We are a right pair!!

pascal30 Mon 03-Oct-22 11:27:49

My two spare bedrooms are studios...

Elless Mon 03-Oct-22 11:15:31

I have spiders everywhere, keep meaning to get a house sign saying ‘Cobwebs’ to put up. Love peoples faces when the notice the one in the living room ?

Sallywally1 Mon 03-Oct-22 03:50:08

We have a very large stuffed toy dinasaur which my then 18 year old son brought home having imbibed several beers. 14 years later he, the dinosaur that is, is still in the shed.

Nothing to do with me. Which goes first DH or Dino?

It’s not as if it is a big shed either. Our neighbours must think we are crazy.

Mollygo Sun 02-Oct-22 23:01:11

Music stands, ukuleles, a banjo, a flute, different recorders and sundry bits of percussion.
Oh and two electric bats for annihilating mozzies and flies!

Zoejory Sun 02-Oct-22 22:56:44

A stuffed alligator. It's awful. Wrapped up in bubble wrap in the attic.

My great aunt lived rather a giddy life, travelling all over the show picking up allsorts of oddments

Gin Sun 02-Oct-22 22:51:33

A fireman’’s brass handbell that belonged to my firefighter father in WW2. Sits on the windowsill in the dining room.

A collection of about fifty hippos, miniature models of course. They are made of wood, glass, silver, pewter, ceramic, malachite, jade etc all collected when DH was travelling world-wide. A devil to dust!

Callistemon21 Sun 02-Oct-22 22:17:40

Kalu

Whenever I leave the back door open in the summer, I drag out DD2s life size cheetah from childhood to sit at the open door to ward off a neighbouring bullying ginger tom who pesters the life out of our cat. It works. ?

Well, it would scare me if I popped round for a brew, Kalu!

kittylester Sun 02-Oct-22 22:00:16

We have the top of the gate post from our last house. Mo idea why!

Grammaretto Sun 02-Oct-22 21:57:11

Until recently I had a special freezer for my woollens to keep them free from moths.
I decided I couldn't justify it anymore so offered it on Freecycle only to find that the couple who came for it were going to keep it in their garage to put their beekeeping equipment in and stop wax moths!

Deedaa Sun 02-Oct-22 21:55:56

Well I've got lots of books and art materials but that seems quite normal to me. One of my favourite possessions is an Ichthyosaur vertebra and DD has a very big model T Rex in her garden, does this make us odd?

V3ra Sun 02-Oct-22 21:37:35

There's no way a standard removal lorry could get up to our house (ambulances and fire-engines can't either). We did warn them and sent pictures before they took on the job.

Baggs have you made your house insurance company aware of the lack of emergency access to your house?
When we had a house fire it took four fire engines to get it under control, and even then we lost most of the building and virtually all the contents.

Mizuna Sun 02-Oct-22 21:05:24

Nell8, my daughter is addicted (in my humble opinion ?) to popping bubble wrap. Although she's 43 and married, when she comes to stay with me on her own I bring out a huge roll of bubble wrap which takes up far too much space in my limited cupboards. I also have a stash of polystyrene which my little grandson likes to drill and cut, and that takes up more space. And makes a mess! Eccentric, but I wouldn't change it all for the world.

Witzend Sun 02-Oct-22 20:50:53

Getmanshepherdmum, I’d love a piggy like yours!
Our 2 big fat wooden hippos also have their own festive wear at Christmas - felt reindeer antlers. Most becoming!

JackyB Sun 02-Oct-22 18:55:27

None of my boys understand the concept of the washing up bowl. In fact it's just not a thing here in Germany but I couldn't manage without one.

Also they dislike the headrests which came with our settees (I think I agree with them).

And then the house is cluttered up with stuff that DH has bought, intending to do various renovation projects, but never started on.

So: washing up bowl, headrests, bits of wood, Louvre doors, bits of insulation - can't explain them to outsiders.

Nell8 Sun 02-Oct-22 18:43:44

Lots of bubble wrap that's had its bubbles popped. I hang on to it in case I've missed a bubble. It's such a satisfying pastime.

Musicgirl Sun 02-Oct-22 18:37:10

Two acoustic pianos in the music room and a digital piano in the conservatory (originally bought so that my children could practice when l was teaching but they have now grown up and left home).