Gransnet forums

Chat

Do you like 'a hearty stew'?

(174 Posts)
kittylester Tue 04-Oct-22 12:49:49

I follow a few cooking sites and, this morning, a recipe for 'a hearty stew' appeared in my inbox.

My heart sank. Not sure whether it is a throw back to school dinners, my mum's cooking or what.

I do sausage casserole, braised steak, coq au vin etc etc but the thought of hearty stews really depress me.

Anyone else?

Nannagarra Sat 08-Oct-22 15:54:45

I still use my Le Creuset dishes in the air fryer. Granted, they are not large, heavy ones. They’re ideal for our needs - the perfect size and withstand anything I do. They ‘breed’ in my kitchen cupboard (I can’t resist buying them); they have to multiply as DiL has a penchant for them.
It did make me wonder when they were discussed upthread if some of you are extraordinarily strong!

Aldom Sat 08-Oct-22 15:22:08

Witzend like you I too have a large, oval, orange Le Cruset pot. Because of the weight I can't use mine. Recently, shopping in John Lewis I noticed a pot just like mine. On going over to look at the display I discovered the price is now around £234!!! I remember that I paid £60 in the 1970's for mine. Someone got a bargain from you in the charity shop.

Witzend Sat 08-Oct-22 12:54:51

Le Creusets weigh a ton. I inherited a large orange one from MiL but hardly ever used it because of the weight - it ended up at a charity shop.

kittylester Sat 08-Oct-22 12:48:22

Kalu

The slow cookers sound good but as my two Le Creuset casserole pots will probably outlive me, I will just have to continue using them.

My Le Creusets have put weight on recently - especially the big blue one.

pascal30 Sat 08-Oct-22 11:27:49

I just love cassoulet with white beans, duck, pork and sausage

Kalu Fri 07-Oct-22 13:20:00

The slow cookers sound good but as my two Le Creuset casserole pots will probably outlive me, I will just have to continue using them.

MissAdventure Fri 07-Oct-22 12:42:49

I use veggie sausages or burgers.

GrammarGrandma Fri 07-Oct-22 12:14:53

I'm a vegetarian but use quorn pieces for version of goulash etc, which are quite "hearty."

SparklyGrandma Fri 07-Oct-22 08:57:21

After reading the posts, I might make a veggie one today - with onions, herbs, carrots, lentils, marmite gravy, potatoes, broccoli and sweet potatoes. ☺️

nanna8 Fri 07-Oct-22 06:09:43

You lot are making me really hungry now ..

Hetty58 Fri 07-Oct-22 04:18:49

Bean, mushroom and veg stew with potatoes and dumplings (the simple flour, water and herb kind) served with cabbage - is just what I fancy when there's a chill in the air. I've got two slow cookers so there'll be baked stuffed eating apples in the other one. Custard made with oat milk on top, of course. I end up with huge vats of food, good for guests or it goes in the freezer as 'ready meals'.

Shirls52000 Thu 06-Oct-22 23:19:53

Love a good hearty stew on a cold day, done in the slow cooker with dumplings on too

Nannagarra Thu 06-Oct-22 21:29:41

Of course, other retailers are available.

Nannagarra Thu 06-Oct-22 21:28:35

All this talk of slow cookers reminds me of something which may be of interest. DS bought me a large one but I’ve recently seen smaller ones in Poundland for £10 or George in Asda for £13.

crazyH Thu 06-Oct-22 21:20:19

I made a yummy beef stew yesterday. Had some today and the rest is in the freezer.

Patsy70 Thu 06-Oct-22 21:16:39

Just had a chicken stew with leeks, carrots, sweet potato, onions, garlic, pearl barley, new potatoes and herb dumplings - delicious!

Harmonypuss Thu 06-Oct-22 20:55:27

I the some chicken, carrots, onions, potatoes and stick into the elective pressure cooker earlier, although I do alternate between chicken and beef (with dumplings and pearl barley) from September to March and there's only me here, it's a good, hot meal and doesn't cost too much either

Shizam Thu 06-Oct-22 19:12:21

Helenlouise3

I love a stew, but served with potatoes rather than dumplings. However being Welsh, my favourite has to be cawl made with either shin/brisket, or a cheap cut of lamb. I make a big pan and it lasts me at least 2 days. cheap as chips as well.

If you have a recipe for cwl helenlouise would love to hear it. My lovely Welsh mum who died when I was a child often made it. I’ve tried to recreate, but doesn’t match hers. My Welsh granny reckoned it saved my brother’s life when he was very poorly in hospital with him whooping cough. Such memories.

Doggie6 Thu 06-Oct-22 18:27:26

I love a good stew with oxtail veg, pearl barley, lentils, and mixed herbs, yum is it cold enough yet

Mapleleaf Thu 06-Oct-22 18:04:51

I love a good stew, casserole call it what you will. So much goodness bubbling away in one pan, yummy.

Ali08 Thu 06-Oct-22 18:01:33

Greciangirl

Tomorrow I am making a beef and vegetable hotpot made with minced beef.
It’s all cooked in the one pan.
So convenient.

I got the recipe from a little cookery book called 101 One pot dishes.

Is this it?

Ali08 Thu 06-Oct-22 17:45:20

Years ago, working in London but living in staff housing in Sudbury Town, I came back from a weekend home and started cooking.
Over time, my flatmates all came in and asked what I was making?
"Broth!" Lots of veg, some ham on the bone, I was dreaming of the mushy spuds at the bottom.
Each girl said they'd pass, but thank you. Oooh more for me, although I was surprised at my Scottish pals turning it down!
When it was ready, I got my bowlful and headed to my room to enjoy it.
After a couple of spoonfuls my Scottish room mate asked, "What are you eating?" "The broth I made." She came over for a look. "That smells amazing! Could I have some, please?" Of course. The smell drifted around our flat and in no time at all they were requesting that I make more - so much for them not wanting it!!
My mum was pleased her recipe went down so well....I only wish I could remember the actual one I used! Lol
Stew, broth, soup....YUMMY STUFF!!

Greciangirl Thu 06-Oct-22 17:35:12

Tomorrow I am making a beef and vegetable hotpot made with minced beef.
It’s all cooked in the one pan.
So convenient.

I got the recipe from a little cookery book called 101 One pot dishes.

Nannylovesshopping Thu 06-Oct-22 17:29:44

Brassiere Zedel, my all time fave restaurant, their fish stew is unbelievably good, can never get mine as good, french onion soup, magnificent! Just wish it were nearer!

Bijou Thu 06-Oct-22 16:07:56

Because I am not allowed to use frying pan or boil anything because of my disabilities I have a lot of stews cooked in the slow cooker. I use a lot of frozen onions, mixed vegetables in them also pearl barley or lentils.
I have memories of my mothers rabbit and cow heel stew.