Gransnet forums

Chat

Yma O Had. Amazing song

(21 Posts)
Zoejory Fri 18-Nov-22 13:35:37

www.youtube.com/watch?v=emPhXdwhQoE

How come I've never heard of this song? They were discussing the songs for the football on Jeremy Vine and this was shown.

I was blown away. I had goosebumps. It really is spine chilling

Interesting back story to it as well.

I'm cheering for Wales

downtoearth Fri 18-Nov-22 13:55:32

I agree about the goosebumpszoe
Very rousing and uplifting,the power and the passion wow.

Llamedos13 Fri 18-Nov-22 16:51:32

Oh my goodness what an amazing spine tickling song, I’ve been playing it over and over.Dafydd has an incredible voice, Thanks for posting this.

rafichagran Fri 18-Nov-22 17:05:27

Lovely, uplifting and arousing, I loved seeing the supporters singing their hearts out too.

BlueBelle Fri 18-Nov-22 17:08:25

Fantastic that the way to get the crowd going
2 questions
1 how can two areas sooooo close have such different languages?
2 how come wales has so many good singers it can’t be a coincidence?

Casdon Fri 18-Nov-22 17:41:52

‘We’re Still Here’
My children are mad fans and were there at the Austria match. They are going to the fanzone in Cardiff for the World Cup matches, they normally follow them all over Europe but it was so expensive to go to Qatar. They sing Yma O Hyd at all the Welsh matches, so the fans know the words - and they know how to belt them out too! I think Wales has so many good singers because they do it all their lives, right from infants school, and they are so proud to be Welsh, everybody sings at the top of their voices.

Callistemon21 Fri 18-Nov-22 18:43:32

1 how can two areas sooooo close have such different languages?

Do you want the thesis or the précis?

Anniebach, Casdon Help!

Callistemon21 Fri 18-Nov-22 18:50:07

I think Wales has so many good singers because they do it all their lives

I think it's in the genes Casdon

I sang all my school life but I can't really sing. DD can, it must be from her Welsh side.
Although I did sing Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau on Sunday.

Zoejory Fri 18-Nov-22 19:01:27

Well I've googled the lyrics and this afternoon I've been doing my best. But I'm struggling to understand how to pronounce any of the words so I think I shall just have to hum along.

And yes, the Welsh are certainly winners when it comes to singing.

Grannynannywanny Fri 18-Nov-22 19:07:19

Wonderful singing! Many years ago I was on a coach tour with a group of friends and we quickly realised that a large group of Welsh rugby fans had also checked into our hotel in Dublin.

The atmosphere and sing song in the hotel bar that night was fabulous. We thought surely they must have sung together in a choir back home. But no, just a group of men who all loved to sing and all seemed to be blessed with beautiful singing voices.

Grannybags Fri 18-Nov-22 21:14:36

Wow that's amazing! Love to hear the Welsh singing anything

MissAdventure Fri 18-Nov-22 21:45:07

It is beautiful.

It has made me think of Annie, has she posted recently, does anyone know?

TwiceAsNice Fri 18-Nov-22 21:57:17

I am Welsh ad we all love to sing. We learn the anthem as soon as we go to school. I sing it with tears in my eyes when I watch the rugby on the television. I used to go to the matches when they were played at Cardiff Arms Park and Barrie John and JPR Williams were playing , absolute legends both of them.

I think a lot of Welsh people have good voices and to hear a Male Welsh Choir is heaven ( not that I am biased as Max Boyce used to say) He sang Hymns and Arias at all the early matches and all the working men’s clubs.
Happy days!

Kate1949 Fri 18-Nov-22 21:57:29

That was lovely.

Shinamae Fri 18-Nov-22 22:07:05

My mother was from south Wales, Abercynon to be precise and that anthem makes me really emotional…🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿.. I live in a lovely part of Devon but would move to Wales in a heartbeat if I could afford it…

Shinamae Mon 21-Nov-22 18:56:31

Wales are just walking out on the pitch, I really really hope they win…🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿….

Redrobin51 Mon 21-Nov-22 19:31:26

All my closest friends happen to be Welsh and have fantastic voices both speaking and singing. That is a wonderful song. I am watching Wales v USA at the moment, unfortunatelyWales seem to be struggling at the moment. Hope both Wales and England progress out of the group.

Shinamae Mon 21-Nov-22 19:37:08

Have to say USA have been all over Wales and they have just scored….🤦‍♀️

Casdon Tue 22-Nov-22 10:00:16

They improved! Even the dog enjoyed it, he was wearing a banned bucket hat too.

Shinamae Tue 22-Nov-22 10:04:24

Fabulous…😁… have to say I heaved a huge sigh of relief…🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Pittcity Tue 22-Nov-22 17:02:39

I heard it on Breakfast news yesterday.
They were reporting from 2 primary schools. The English one had a Neil Diamond impersonator and they sang Sweet Caroline. The Welsh had a male voice choir singing Yma o Hyd.....no contest!