Gransnet forums

Chat

Are people really feeling the pinch?

(99 Posts)
Sago Thu 24-Nov-22 19:38:42

I am organising some focus groups in 6 different parts of my home City.
Some of the groups are to take place in areas that are considered poor.
Each respondent will get £50 for 90 minutes.
I honestly thought people would be beating my door down but no.
I am quite frankly astonished.

Kate1949 Fri 25-Nov-22 09:48:50

We've attended these focus groups in the past and been paid. Most have paid us in cash.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 25-Nov-22 10:17:57

Well I have gone to these focus groups for a few years and have covered assorts of subjects. For example, outdoor wear, transport, etc. earning each time something between £25 and £80 plus refreshments, and often money off vouchers for various brands. It was sociable and paid in cash (concealed in an envelope) I can’t remember ever giving my bank details to anyone. Shame I am not in your area Sago or I would certainly go

Sago Fri 25-Nov-22 10:19:40

Grannynannywanny

Maybe I’m just not looking in the right places but I’ve never seen anything like this advertised. If I did my immediate reaction would be it’s a scam.

Presumably bank details have to be provided to receive the £50. That would be enough to put me off.

Cash on the day! We would never take bank details!

Sago Fri 25-Nov-22 10:23:44

Barmeyoldbat

Well I have gone to these focus groups for a few years and have covered assorts of subjects. For example, outdoor wear, transport, etc. earning each time something between £25 and £80 plus refreshments, and often money off vouchers for various brands. It was sociable and paid in cash (concealed in an envelope) I can’t remember ever giving my bank details to anyone. Shame I am not in your area Sago or I would certainly go

Thank you Barmy.
We did one a few years ago for a big company, we had a very shy young girl who attended, she had anxiety and took some persuading but came.
She put forward an incredible suggestion to the customer insight team, they were blown away by her.
She was then offered some work experience in her college holidays, this then led to a full time job!

Grannynannywanny Fri 25-Nov-22 10:39:01

Cash on the day? Sign me up!!

Ilovecheese Fri 25-Nov-22 10:48:49

Forgive me, Sago, but you do seem to be a bit resistant to any idea that it is maybe your marketing that is at fault, instead of your potential clients being lazy or greedy or so rich that they can't be bothered.
Perhaps be a little more open minded to some of the suggestions on here that don't agree with what you assumed to be the case.

Barmeyoldbat Fri 25-Nov-22 11:05:45

Sorry I love cheese I have worked in Marketing for many years, nothing wrong with Sagos approach

25Avalon Fri 25-Nov-22 11:14:45

I do wonder. I find it hard to get bar staff which I thought would improve with the cost of living going up. Maybe it hasn’t taken hold yet. Coffee shops are still flourishing but then maybe a little treat in a warm place with friends isn’t as expensive as all that, although people are often driving to get there.
I expect come December/January they will bite your hand off Sago.

Sago Fri 25-Nov-22 11:23:07

I never used the words lazy or greedy.
That is your interpretation.

I merely expected a better response in these hard times.

I spent some of yesterday with a vicar who runs a community project, he was really hoping it would attract some of his poorer parishioners, he is posting flyers and putting the message out via the Church Facebook group.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Nov-22 14:25:17

Sago

Whitewavemark2

People who are feeling the pinch are probably working more than one job or longer hours and have little time or energy to attend this sort of time wasting meeting.

How rude!

It’s not a time wasting meeting, I cannot say too much but it’s regarding a utility that is vital!
Everyone moans about companies and organisations and this is a chance to give feedback.

No “time wasting” want my opinion. I explained myself incorrectly. It what I think those very hard pressed folk working every hour god sends would think - and prefer to spend any spare time with their family.

It was not a judgement on the meetings

Sorry to confuse.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 25-Nov-22 14:32:37

Want should read wasn’t.

Blondiescot Fri 25-Nov-22 14:36:32

I'd do it in a heartbeat - but I've never seen anything like this advertised in my area.

TanaMa Fri 25-Nov-22 14:48:01

There are so many people 'feeling the pinch' at the moment with tales if woe BUT despite the economic situation at the moment I am amazed at the number of people who can afford to be at the World football in Doha - families with 2 or more children. I wonder how.many of those attending are on benefits and will be expecting the Govt to come to their rescue?!

Yammy Fri 25-Nov-22 14:54:49

I think we are all far more sceptical these days and wonder why all that amount and where will the personal information go or be shared. As others have said maybe it needs to be advertised in a different way or in places people in need might go like Food/clothes Banks.Or the local Evening rag.
Also if some of it is happening in quite well-off areas as a control, I don't think people will be willing to share how comfortable they are.
Certainly not in "Homes of Distinction, areas.

Sago Fri 25-Nov-22 15:20:18

Yammy No personal information required, it’s purely a customer insight exercise to assess local peoples perceptions of this organisation, wether they feel they are well served and how they perceive the competition.

Yammy Fri 25-Nov-22 16:13:55

I m pulling your leg Sago, I can remember the fuss about who got one free and who didn't. A neighbour of ours got a petition up to stop the old lampposts from being changed as she felt she would no longer be eligible for her free copy. The snobbery around that rag.
I think the idea of the local vicar giving them out or how about the local leisure Centers, even the local slimming clubs but word it so that it does not feel like a free handout.
I think the people you are dealing with are a proud lot and would not want their neighbours to know they were needing the money or using cheaper servers.

AreWeThereYet Fri 25-Nov-22 16:20:04

Mr A and I have both done surveys after being 'picked up' on the street, with a minor financial gift (voucher I think it was) at the end. But we would only do it if we weren't doing something else - on those occasions we were probably wandering around with nothing much planned so didn't mind taking the time out. Despite being told it would only take 15 minutes it always took considerably longer. No details asked for on any occasion. Haven't been asked to do one we had any interest in for a long time.

welbeck Fri 25-Nov-22 16:55:47

TanaMa, don't be silly.
why do you assume the people at the football can't afford to go.

Peaseblossom Sat 26-Nov-22 11:13:00

I would do it, if it was near me, if it was easy to get to as I don’t have a car.

Mallin Sat 26-Nov-22 11:23:53

Iam62…. Yep I’d have thought it a scam too. But wouldn’t have answered even if known for certain it was not. For what good will these meetings make? Daft, I personally think.

henetha Sat 26-Nov-22 11:26:19

I'd do it but don't suppose these meetings take place anywhere near me in rural Devon.

JaneJudge Sat 26-Nov-22 11:27:41

Can I come? grin

cmcpne Sat 26-Nov-22 11:32:36

Gosh sago I bet you thought you were making a valid point but so many people ready to shoot you down in flames
The £50 is a good reward for giving feedback and I would have been like you and expecting to get all sessions booked up quickly.
Hopefully you will get summed later interest. I would certainly apply in my area.

Tempest Sat 26-Nov-22 11:37:22

It’s never a simple reason why people can’t take you up on your offer. When young married and broke I always wanted to go to these events but if they were held during the day I couldn’t go because I was working full time if it was an evening event I could not go because finding and paying for a childminder was too difficult and expensive so not worth it after all. Depends what age group you want but most people with families are running around trying to make ends meet, an extra £50 would be great but how to find a free couple of hours much more difficult.

Toetoe Sat 26-Nov-22 11:38:27

I would love to attend something like this if in my area . Do you have any links to finding out more information. I'm in Dorset