Gransnet forums

Chat

Senior Moment Alert!

(53 Posts)
OnePennyJenny Fri 02-Dec-22 19:48:18

Just spilled a glass of water all over me as being lost in thought turned into falling asleep sitting up 😂😂😂

Anyone else done this one before lol

annodomini Mon 19-Dec-22 12:37:44

I once drowned my laptop when I dropped off with a mug of tea in my hand. An expensive repair followed.

kircubbin2000 Sat 17-Dec-22 21:55:48

I was just about to throw the washing in the fridge.

Kamiso Sat 17-Dec-22 01:52:45

This morning I threw two knives into the washing machine but fortunately the loud clattering stopped me throwing in the very pretty side plate inherited from the in laws!

AussieGran59 Sat 17-Dec-22 01:25:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nanna8 Sat 17-Dec-22 00:57:53

AussieGran59

Last night I reached for my nasal spray, stuck it up my nose and hesitated. It didn’t feel right. It was my eye drops.

I wonder what would have happened. Maybe you would be able to see through your nose ! Good job it wasn’t the nasal spray in your eyes though. I was spraying a blowie the other day and didn’t have my glasses on and sprayed it all over my face. Horrible smelly stuff but I didn’t drop down dead and buzz at least.

AussieGran59 Fri 16-Dec-22 22:42:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Barmeyoldbat Mon 12-Dec-22 15:16:31

Nanna I use to help older people learn to use the computer, I had one lady who use to do exactly the same and I use to say to her. Mice don’t fly in fact the only thing she ever learnt was how to play cards

nanna8 Mon 12-Dec-22 00:34:28

Just on a lighthearted note. When my Dad was alive we bought him a laptop so he could send emails ( which he never managed but that’s another story) . He needed a mouse as he couldn’t manage with his hands so we bought him one. He told us it didn’t work and we found he was waving it around and clicking it like a tv remote! Dear old Dad, he saw the funny side when we explained it.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 11-Dec-22 13:25:50

Just tipped what I thought was the remains in a packet of sugar into the sugar storage jar. It was flour

Auntieflo Sun 11-Dec-22 12:29:25

Just now I had an email from A....n , to say that my order will arrive today, and here is the code that you must say to the driver/ delivery man. So I took a screen shot, just in case I mislaid the email.
Then I checked to see if the photo was clear. While there I clicked on one of the emails, as it looked interesting.
Then I wondered why I wasn't being directed to the site!
Screen shots are good, but not that good.

Nannabumble70 Sat 10-Dec-22 16:32:11

Blossoming

I did exactly the same with the milk but put my keys in the fridge

AreWeThereYet Sat 10-Dec-22 16:10:54

I spent ages this morning trying to turn my phone on by pressing the button at the bottom. Complained to Mr A that my phone had died. He just looked at me as if I was mad and pressed the button on the side. Then realised it was my Kindle that had a button at the bottom. Also found out recently that my mouse won't turn the TV on.

Lexisgranny Sat 10-Dec-22 10:43:28

I think I started having senior moments in my late forties.

1. Wondered why I was limping when I got to work and realised that I was wearing two black shoes, identical, aside from the fact that one had a 2” heel, the other a 3” heel.

2. I held up a massive queue at an airport in the USA when asked for my name. I gave my maiden name, which didn’t really tally with the married name on my passport. Two very burly gentlemen didn’t seem too happy when I confirmed that I had not actually used my maiden name since my marriage 25 years previously. I was alone on a business trip and no-one could vouch for me, took a while for them to accept the ‘mental’ block excuse, and behind me was a queue growing more and more restless.

I suppose I should be relieved that I can now genuinely claim a senior moment for any unfortunate lapses.

Yammy Sat 10-Dec-22 10:18:56

I think I might be on the way, this senior has just tried to answer the landline with the TV controls and had a good grumble about B.T.blush

Witzend Sat 10-Dec-22 10:15:27

nanna8

Glad it’s not just me like this. I have put cups of coffee in the fridge ( just love iced coffee, not ), looked for my glasses when they were perched up on top of my head, constantly have to ring my phone with the fixed line to find it, go upstairs to fetch something that I can’t remember etc etc. Someone told me if you are worried about it then you are ok and it is not the onset of dementia. I cling to that thought !

That’s true re dementia, nanna8, in my experience anyway.

The moment the penny really dropped (cue my sinking heart, since we’d already been through it all with FiL) that my mother really did have dementia, was when she phoned her bank about something (she’d always been very clued about about finances) and could not remember, literally the instant she’d put the phone down, what they’d said.

Normally, any such incident would have had her fretting and worrying like mad. But within seconds she’d forgotten it completely.

Shinamae Sat 10-Dec-22 10:09:27

A few times now I’ve been looking for my mobile phone before realising I was actually talking on it 🤷‍♀️🤦‍♀️

Witzend Sat 10-Dec-22 10:07:25

My ‘best’ was a while ago now. Started to make a couple of dozen fairy cakes for Gdcs’ school fundraiser - only to realise, a few minutes after I’d put it in the oven - that I’d put the mixture into two nicely greased and lined sandwich tins!
Too late! Already well past any possible transfer.

Added buggeration factor - besides having to start again - was that I had to go out for more eggs.

Bellanonna Sat 10-Dec-22 09:55:21

Me too, with the landline nanna8. I was put out recently when the landline wasn’t working and I had to search high and low for my mobile. I haven’t yet put coffee in the fridge but I also search for glasses that are either tucked into my jumper or on my hand. But as you say, at least we realise!

nanna8 Sat 10-Dec-22 00:14:30

Glad it’s not just me like this. I have put cups of coffee in the fridge ( just love iced coffee, not ), looked for my glasses when they were perched up on top of my head, constantly have to ring my phone with the fixed line to find it, go upstairs to fetch something that I can’t remember etc etc. Someone told me if you are worried about it then you are ok and it is not the onset of dementia. I cling to that thought !

FarNorth Sat 10-Dec-22 00:02:15

Good for your heart and circulation Wyllow3 smile

Oldnproud Fri 09-Dec-22 23:41:06

I spent a whole morning teaching teaching (one-to-one), then discovered at lunchtime that there there was a clothes peg hanging on the front of my cardigan. It must have been there since I'd hung out the washing at breakfast time. No one had said a word!

Yammy Fri 09-Dec-22 23:22:45

I looked for two days all over the house for a candle to wrap for Christmas. DD phoned and said the candle you gave me last time we visited, can you get me another one, please? Yes, my candle was half burned somewhere near Leamington.

GrandmasueUK Fri 09-Dec-22 21:45:58

I’ve just spent half an hour looking for a Christmas present I got for my daughter. I put it in a safe place only yesterday. Phew just found it! It’s wrapped up and labelled now thank goodness.

grannydarkhair Fri 09-Dec-22 21:44:16

Three days in a row this week I’ve made a pot of tea or so I’ve thought each time. Got comfy and settled on the sofa, feet up, cosy blanket over me, tray with pot, etc. on a wee table next to me. Let the tea stew for a few minutes, then poured myself a lovely cup of - hot water. The teabags are right beside the kettle so no excuse at all.

Wyllow3 Fri 09-Dec-22 21:32:06

Blossoming

I once put my keys in the fridge and a bottle of milk on the worktop.

Sigh do that all the time.

Fortunately I still notice..

worst thing is (except good for knees?)

Need something from upstairs.

go upstairs, forget what for, but something upstairs triggers something else needing doing. do the thing. OH yes, and might as well take dirty washing down.

go downstairs, recall first necessity for going upstairs, en route something that need to go upstairs. Go upstairs, put "thing" away, come down. Decide to give up on upstairs thing.

Go downstairs. 5 mins later, need the toilet. Its upstairs.....