Gransnet forums

Chat

Face masks

(36 Posts)
Teacheranne Sun 04-Dec-22 00:07:51

I’ve just had a tidy up of the drawers in my bedside cabinet and put all my face masks in a storage box, along with some spare sanitiser, to go in my spare bedroom wardrobe. I was surprised at how many I had accumulated, basic disposable ones, home made cloth ones and some medical grade ones which my sister sent from the US.

I could not quite bring myself to throw them away but don’t want them in easy reach any more.

I was wondering what you have done with yours?

Urmstongran Mon 05-Dec-22 08:57:33

I’ve got some new ones left in a packet on the bookcase somewhere, but to be honest I’ve stopped wearing them. No one wears them anymore round here (staff nor patients) at our GP surgery or dentist and no one on the bus to the Trafford Centre and back last week either. That said I did see a couple being worn in the square over the weekend. Shops are getting busy. But so are the pubs, bars, restaurants and leisure centre hereabouts and no one is wearing one - but each to their own decision regards health or anxiety issues. Obviously if it becomes mandatory again (which I doubt) I will comply.

Joseanne Mon 05-Dec-22 08:33:32

^I am far more concerned at the moment for children contracting strep A and loosing their lives.>
👍

Casdon Mon 05-Dec-22 08:27:11

NotSpaghetti

That's good Casdon. Thank you. Does it actually say "modified" on your card? I suppose, logically, it should do.

My next one is this week and I couldn't find anyone who knew about it.
I was intending to ask when I got there.

Sorry, only just saw your question NotSpaghetti. The vaccine name says ‘Comirnaty Bivalent’ on my card! I know it’s the modified Pfizer though, as the nurse told me.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 05-Dec-22 07:09:47

I still wear FFP2 masks if indoors in a crowded space. I had covid this summer and was quite ill with it.

Do not want to repeat it.

rosie1959 Mon 05-Dec-22 07:03:55

I think it is more important to keep on eye on your own health and pick up if you are positive. I no longer wear a mask because I personally don't feel it is necessary for me I have had covid twice this year and it was very very minor.
But I still test if I feel even slightly off and if I test positive I keep away from others. Covid does not appear to effect me negativity thanks to our vacination program but do not want to pass it to others who may have a more severe reaction.
Then again I stay away from others if I have any type of infection.
I am far more concerned at the moment for children contracting strep A and loosing their lives.

BigBertha1 Mon 05-Dec-22 06:30:37

My many coloured masks are in my knickers drawer...daren't throw them away. A box of medical masks and a box of tests in the kitchen cabinet. It hasn't gone away. We both had Moderna on our last booster

Teacheranne Mon 05-Dec-22 00:03:20

Just remembered that last time I went to The Eye Hospital I had to wear a mask. I have an appointment next week so must check if they still have to be worn. It’s very hard wearing a mask while having eyes tested as the glass lenses get steamed up!

I also still have no lovely Christmas ones that I made but I think if I do wear them again, I would wear the medical grade N95 ones from the US which I understand are more effective than cotton fabric ones.

It is nice though to no longer have a supply of masks in open view near the front door!

Joseanne Sun 04-Dec-22 15:58:30

I was grateful that I had one stuffed in my coat pocket when I arrived in Vienna last week. On public transport everyone was wearing them and there were signs and announcements all over. However passengers were taking them off the minute they got on the escalator.

shysal Sun 04-Dec-22 15:34:31

I am still wearing mine as I am immunosuppressed, it is second nature to me now and no hardship at all. I must fish out my Christmas ones and put away the poppy ones.

nadateturbe Sun 04-Dec-22 15:30:44

Same here Yammy. Be prepared.
Our surgery still requires them Optional at dentist.
Our local pharmacy staff all wear them. That speaks to me.

Georgesgran Sun 04-Dec-22 10:19:20

I’m taking DD2 for a hospital appointment twice a week - masks are compulsory and non-wearers are asked to use one/given one, unless exempt.

Pittcity Sun 04-Dec-22 10:13:16

I have just found my Christmas ones in the bedside drawer.

Alioop Sun 04-Dec-22 09:45:31

We still have to wear them at our doctors, you can't get in the surgery without one. They make you go to to the chemist outside to buy a disposable one for 50p if you forget yours. It's the only place I really wear one now.

Yammy Sun 04-Dec-22 09:42:04

nadateturbe

I have a variety of masks in a drawer in the hall. I still wear them in busy places. Others still do too.

I do the same variety in a hall drawer and take one when I think it might be needed. Also found lots in last year's winter coat pockets that I have thrown away and one just in case in handbags and car doors.

kircubbin2000 Sun 04-Dec-22 09:38:03

The only couple of times I wore a mask was for a hospital appointment. I had a snoody scarf thing the rest of the time.

TillyTrotter Sun 04-Dec-22 09:23:45

I keep some in a S size sandwich bag in my handbag. Wearing mask in a Chemist’s, the Cinema, or crowded shops. Folks are coughing - could be just seasonal chills - but whatever it is I want to avoid getting it if possible. Still have hand sanitizer with me in my bag - and using it.

BlueSapphire Sun 04-Dec-22 09:21:09

A mask in every handbag and the rest are in kitchen drawer; have virtually stopped wearing them now.

25Avalon Sun 04-Dec-22 09:09:56

A mask in every coat pocket along with a handful of dog treats. I don’t use it very often as I don’t go on the bus or into supermarkets. A lot of pharmacies still like you to wear them as we did when we had our flu jabs. Useful for any situation you might feel uncomfortable in.

Redhead56 Sun 04-Dec-22 09:04:03

Keep one in my bag or pocket and car along with wipes and gel. A habit I won’t drop just in case, all the time the rest tucked away in a draw.

Parsley3 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:59:07

I am still required to wear a mask if I go to the surgery or dentist and when I got my booster. I was given Pfizer and the nurse told me that it was modified for the Omicron variant. I don't wear a mask on a daily basis but some people do. I find that I am still socially distancing though.

Kim19 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:48:51

Still have a mask lurking away in my handbag at all times (probably in dire need of replacement!) and a couple in car glove compartment. Just in case........

GrannyGravy13 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:44:08

I have some in my car, DH has some in his. When sorting out winter coats they all had one in pockets.

Have a couple of boxes in the laundry of FFP2/3 along with the basic ones, will only wear again if it becomes law.

(All my vaccines have been Pfizer)

AussieGran59 Sun 04-Dec-22 08:41:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

glammanana Sun 04-Dec-22 08:07:14

It would be sensible to wear one now the shops are getting so busy with Christmas shoppers etc.

nadateturbe Sun 04-Dec-22 07:47:12

I have a variety of masks in a drawer in the hall. I still wear them in busy places. Others still do too.