Gransnet forums

Chat

Mondegreens.

(86 Posts)
LadyHonoriaDedlock Sun 04-Dec-22 22:26:20

You know, those song lyrics that you always misheard. From the the folk song The Bonny Earl of Moray when the line

For they've slain the Earl of Moray and they laid him on the green

was misheard as

For they've slain the Earl of Moray and the Lady Mondegreen

Have you any favourite mondegreens? A couple of mind are

From Bob Dylan:
Knock knock knocking on Kevin's door

From David Bowie's Oh You Pretty Things
You better make way for the Mother Superior

Witzend Mon 26-Dec-22 13:22:46

I thought of another the other day, courtesy of Good King Wenceslas.

‘When the snow lay round about,
Deep and Christmas even.’

Judi45 Thu 08-Dec-22 08:25:31

‘These curtains are cheapest’ - should be The first cut is the deepest!

ForeverAutumn Thu 08-Dec-22 01:43:23

Our eldest daughter at age three joyfully joined in with:
Pink Floyd "Falling over just another brick in the hall" and
Ian Dury and the Blockheads " Hit me with your wooden stick"

merlotgran Thu 08-Dec-22 00:23:14

I used to think Paul and Barry Ryan’s, ‘Don’t bring me your heartaches, I can’t help you none’ was, ‘Don’t bring me your hard eggs, I can’t help you, Nun.’

Lilypops Wed 07-Dec-22 23:14:33

Louis Armstrong. What a wonderful World. I thought he sang The dogs say goodnight. Until I read the lyrics. , It was the The dark sacred night. I think I like my version best. !!

Doodledog Wed 07-Dec-22 22:46:35

You picked a fine time to leave me Lucille
Four hundred children had a crap in the fields. . .

Yammy Wed 07-Dec-22 22:38:03

A new shop opened in the city I lived in it was BG's, I always got mixed up and called it BJ's, until dd's who were teenagers at the time explained what the abbreviation I had used meant I never made the mistake again.

Musicgirl Wed 07-Dec-22 18:43:15

Slightly off topic but I was at a do in the summer where we had words of popular songs to join in with. Among them them was Come On Eileen. Several of us were very shocked at the lyrics of the verses as we had never properly heard them before and had all innocently danced to it and sung along with the chorus many times before. They are very rude.

merlotgran Wed 07-Dec-22 18:41:32

Blossoming

A well known one from Jimi Hendrix- ‘Scuse me while I kiss this guy.

I’ve just googled it because I had no idea he wasn’t kissing a guy.

Fifty years of getting it wrong. 😮😂

Kathderoet Wed 07-Dec-22 18:39:23

A friend from years ago upon hearing “Bridge over troubled water” admitting she’d always thought the lyrics were “Like a bird over frozen water” I still smile thinking back.

Smiffy58 Wed 07-Dec-22 18:15:17

Our Father who shouts in heaven Harold be his name, my favourite from my time as a nursery teacher.

MarilynneT33 Wed 07-Dec-22 18:11:28

Orly I had to go on YouTube to listen to that. Now I can't unhear it. My hubby thought the same.

Doodledog Wed 07-Dec-22 18:01:54

Foxyferret

We three kings of orient are, one in a taxi, one in a car, one on his scooter pipping his hooter following Ringo Starr. Not exactly misheard but still funny imo.

We three kings of Leicester Square
Selling ladies' underwear
They aren't fantastic, no elastic
Very unsafe to wear.

On the Christmas theme, a child in a friend's primary class was very keen to play Round John in the Nativity play. She couldn't work out what he meant, but it turned out to be the Round John from Round John, virgin, mother and child.

Shizam Wed 07-Dec-22 17:09:08

Son used to sing ‘forget about your troubles and your stripes’ instead of strife in Bear Necessities. Jungle Book.

Doodledog Wed 07-Dec-22 17:03:46

Boz

Highly flavoured Lady. Can't remeber Carol title.

The Angel Gabriel from Heaven came
His wings as drifted snow, his eyes as flame.
'All hail' said he 'the lowly maiden Ma-a-ry'
Most highly flavoured lady
Gloria

HillyN Wed 07-Dec-22 16:05:44

Bee Gees- "It's only worms, and worms are all you need..." (Words). My DDs used to sing this loudly at discos etc !

NannaGrandad Wed 07-Dec-22 16:01:24

Love these kind of threads. Herman’s Hermits - She’s a must to avoid. I thought it was muscular boy! Currently playing everywhere I thought the Christmas song was ties in every store it’s actually toys but ties made sense to me at the time.

orly Wed 07-Dec-22 15:39:29

Elton John "pissing in a stream" (Honky Cat)

Foxyferret Wed 07-Dec-22 14:40:47

We three kings of orient are, one in a taxi, one in a car, one on his scooter pipping his hooter following Ringo Starr. Not exactly misheard but still funny imo.

Boz Wed 07-Dec-22 14:10:58

Highly flavoured Lady. Can't remeber Carol title.

Grandyma Wed 07-Dec-22 14:03:56

Celine Dion theme from the titanic “I will always love Hugh”

missdeke Wed 07-Dec-22 13:44:52

I only learnt last year that Louis Armstrong sings ' the dark sacred night' I thought it was 'the dogs say goodnight'.

Grandmagrewit Wed 07-Dec-22 13:33:26

Another one from Desmond Dekker and the Israelites - "Wake up every morning, baked beans for breakfast".

MarilynneT33 Wed 07-Dec-22 13:32:26

I used to make my workmate laugh with my misheard lyrics. I can't think of them all but I recall a song by a singer called Lorde called Royals. The line You can call me Queen Bee was misheard as You can call me Green Bean.

Welshy Wed 07-Dec-22 13:25:24

Katek

Peter Kay does a wonderful set on misheard song lyrics.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=7my5baoCVv8

I've not seen that one before Katek.
Hilarious!
Thank you for sharing grin