Gransnet forums

Chat

Heating up a dinner

(42 Posts)
MissAdventure Mon 05-Dec-22 16:05:05

What do you find the best way, please?

I have only done it a couple of times before in the microwave, but is the oven a better bet?

CassieJ Tue 06-Dec-22 09:42:58

Virtually all my meals are heated in the microwave as I get in late from work and really can't be bothered to start cooking.
I usually batch cook at weekends, freeze and then take out what I want for the evening.

If taken straight from the fridge, I use low temperature for a few minutes, stir it, then whack it on high for a couple of minutes.
If you worry if it's hot enough you can buy food thermometers very cheap to check the temperature.

Whiff Tue 06-Dec-22 05:58:08

MissA I reheat my dinner everyday in the oven for a hour at 200°. Because of health can't cook fresh meal everyday. So I make a large stew of some sort once a week it lasts 6 dinners . Once cooked put into oven proof dishes and leave in the fridge . I always add extra water to it before reheating. Any extra veg I want I do from frozen I put it in foil with some water and wrap tightly. It cooks while my dinner reheats. I make enough soup for 6 dinners but reheat that on the hob with extra water as I blitz my soup. I have an induction hob so takes 2 mins to bring it to the boil. My porridge is cooked in the microwave as I can't stir a pot. I lose control of the spoon. Been cooking this way for 5 years.

I always cook from scratch I don't eat meat but chicken and either Quorn sausages, mince or chicken pieces. Soups are red lentil based with lots of veg. Dinners usually have pearl barley but sometimes use pasta instead just for the last 20 mins of cooking.

As my health varies from day to day it means I always have a heathly lunch and dinner in the fridge .

nadateturbe Tue 06-Dec-22 04:22:39

The microwave cover lid is useful.

MarilynneT33 Mon 05-Dec-22 23:34:06

My mum used to do this with my Sunday dinner when I'd had a late night and had a lie in. She used a pan lid instead of a teatowel though. Funnily enough the dinner always tasted amazing.

CanadianGran Mon 05-Dec-22 23:28:25

I mostly use the microwave, but sometimes the toaster oven if it is something that I don't like to get soggy. Pizza slices for instance, are better in the toaster oven.

MissAdventure Mon 05-Dec-22 20:37:47

I didn't make it.
My upstairs neighbour did.

The one I frequently moan about. greedy hypocrite that I am

MissAdventure Mon 05-Dec-22 20:08:52

I'll only answer if you promise not to call me 'custard bottom' again.

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 20:07:07

Pushing?

Pudding.
I need an editor.

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 20:06:22

MissAdventure

I've got me afters yet... smile
Homemade, just how my mum used to do it, bread pud!!

Is that bread pudding or bread and butter pudding with an egg custard bottom?

If it'bread pushing, DH said to save him some.
If it's bread and butter pudding, I'll be over in 5!

(5 hours that is)

Iam64 Mon 05-Dec-22 20:05:07

MissAdventure

Thank you.

My mum used to do some elaborate thing with my dad's dinner on a plate, on top of a saucepan of water, with a tea teatowel over the top of it all. smile

My mum did this as well.
Microwaves are good for re-heating food

M0nica Mon 05-Dec-22 20:04:03

Do not cover food in a microwave with cling film. Cling film contains materials that we should not ingest. OK for wrapping food in when it is cold to put in the fridge or on the side, but never, never in a microwave.

Use a plastic cover sold for the purpose or simply put another plate upside down over the plate you are heating while you microwave it.

MissAdventure Mon 05-Dec-22 19:18:48

I've got me afters yet... smile
Homemade, just how my mum used to do it, bread pud!!

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 19:17:27

She's gobbled it all up 😁
And didn't share it

Lucca Mon 05-Dec-22 19:13:14

Microwave it missA but keep
An eye o. It and mix it /move it around etc Bon appetit

MissAdventure Mon 05-Dec-22 18:51:47

So is the tender inside of my mouth! smile

It's all gone. Heated in the old micro - bish bash bosh.
I et it.

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 18:32:59

Make sure it's thoroughly heated through.
A meat thermometer is useful.

crazyH Mon 05-Dec-22 18:27:28

Microwave - low setting

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 18:24:08

I wouldn't use clingfilm.

Callistemon21 Mon 05-Dec-22 18:23:32

MissAdventure

Thank you.

My mum used to do some elaborate thing with my dad's dinner on a plate, on top of a saucepan of water, with a tea teatowel over the top of it all. smile

I remember my Mum doing that.

Microwave is the best bet, you can buy plastic domed lids to use on ordinary plates.

Oopsadaisy1 Mon 05-Dec-22 17:47:29

3 to 4 minutes on high with the plate covered, clingfilm with a couple of holes in it if you don’t have a Pyrex or silicone cover. Should be piping hot then.

downtoearth Mon 05-Dec-22 17:44:03

I always reheat in microwave MissA
It will be fine

MissAdventure Mon 05-Dec-22 17:06:32

Cabbie21

What food is it? Give it a stir, if suitable.

It's a beef roast dinner!
My neighbour made it for me yesterday but for the first time ever, I had no appetite!

I'm going to make up for it when I get my hands on that evenly cooked, hopefully dinner today!

Blossoming Mon 05-Dec-22 17:04:41

Microwave for me

Jaxjacky Mon 05-Dec-22 16:59:28

Microwave, sheet of kitchen roll over the top.

henetha Mon 05-Dec-22 16:58:36

I think that is why there is a turntable. To help distribute the heat.