Gransnet forums

Chat

Are women getting angrier?

(127 Posts)
grannydarkhair Wed 07-Dec-22 18:02:01

Well, are we?
I’m much more relaxed generally since I retired, but I’m certainly angry with/about the current government, the cost of living crisis that is affecting so many, the proposed GRR bill (Scotland), Brexit.
More light heartedly, I’m certainly not happy that I’ve just read book nine in the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon, and it was crap compared to the previous eight. And goodness knows when we’ll get book ten which should hopefully finish the series. Same goes for George RR Martin and the final book in The Song of Iceland Fire (GoT) series.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-63874001?at_bbc_team=editorial&at_campaign=Social_Flow&at_medium=social&at_link_origin=BBCNWT&at_ptr_name=twitter&at_link_id=D5A11AD6-760F-11ED-8214-2438FC756850&at_campaign_type=owned&at_link_type=web_link&at_format=link

Lyng17 Wed 21-Dec-22 16:50:23

volver

Nothing wrong with being angry.

Did none of you do the assertiveness courses that used to be so popular in our youth?

Yes and the first thing we learned was the difference between assertive and aggressive.

happycatholicwife1 Tue 20-Dec-22 23:32:17

Oreo, I agree with you regarding the rolling news and social media. That's the reason that, while I have a Facebook account, I only use it to go to nostalgia sites from my childhood. I could not believe the stuff people were saying on Facebook. I think it's nice to visit on a site like GN. Most of the time it's great. Once in awhile people get in a huff, myself included, though I try to keep that to a minimum.

AGAA4 Mon 19-Dec-22 15:07:20

I was angry when I heard that Avanti West was awarded 6.5m in bonuses for "abject failure" according to Labour. I have used that so called service and it's dire. Angry again now.

Zoejory Mon 19-Dec-22 14:45:30

Judging by comments on social media, I believe everyone's getting angrier.

oodles Mon 19-Dec-22 14:23:44

The feeling of Anger at an injustice or a wrong is not bullying or self indulgence or lack of self control. For centuries women angry at mistreatment, abuse or injustice were described as angry by their oppressors at best, at worse mentally ill and consigned to asylums. Angry men were accepted, unjustified anger, and its manifestations might be classed as above, manipulative anger. Often though it bursts out because you have been forced to suppress it. But anger at wrongs is OK I think, from there it is right to look at ways that anger can be expressed, can we harness our feelings to working for a juster world, a better relationship etc.
It was only those in charge who took issue with Jesus's righteous anger at the temple being used for unholy purposes. Even if you're not religious it is a story that can speak to you.
Keeping genuine anger suppressed is harmful to your health and wellbeing, even if you have to put on a smiley face you need to address the causes of your anger even if it is only talking to friends about it and them agreeing that x, y, or that which has angered you was totally unreasonable behavior and that you are right to be angry and help you work out a way to address the person's behavior if that is possible

Oreo Mon 12-Dec-22 22:31:35

Forsythia

I’m angry about things that matter and affect me or my family. If I can alleviate in some way then I will. I dont get angry about things I can’t do anything about. I vote. I donate to food banks via Tesco drop off in store. I support my family through my time and helping them out. Getting angry about things you’ve no control over is detrimental to your health. I don’t do it.

A good attitude to have.

Sago Mon 12-Dec-22 22:04:00

Sago

I’m going to try and get a call in to our energy provider today.
I sense I will be getting angrier😬

I called Scottish Power , left my number and got a call back within the hour.
All my queries answered politely and confidently.
Not angry at all👏👏👏

nanna8 Mon 12-Dec-22 11:20:08

I’m not sure about the comment about under 50ss not experiencing hardship. Of course they didn’t have the experience many of us had in the post war years but I have heard of and spoken to dumpster divers who have been turned out of home at a young age and I would think their experience of hardship is pretty severe. There are many more homeless people than there used to be and life is not exactly easy for them,either. When we were young there wasn’t the drug problem, either and the heartache that can bring. The lack of mental health services and the claptrap various governments spout about it makes me angry.

Sago Mon 12-Dec-22 11:05:14

I’m going to try and get a call in to our energy provider today.
I sense I will be getting angrier😬

ExperiencedNotOld Mon 12-Dec-22 10:56:51

Having returned after a substantial break, I do give myself dismayed by the anti govt feeling seemingly common on these pages. I’m no Tory supporter, but then don’t see any of them, as groups, showing much promise either. What to do - who knows, we will have to suffer a little long until someone emerges.
There are some truisms about this cost of living crisis never address in the MSM. Mainly that if the cost of paying off credit. And also about not knowing how to cook from scratch, budget, etc. all connecting to not being able to separate a need from a want as so many under the age of 50 have much experience of real hardship.
I’d suggest befriending to mentor someone out of their crisis is the best way forward.

Callistemon21 Mon 12-Dec-22 10:55:43

If we didn't, what would happen? And how could anyone allow it to happen in conscience? We are left between a rock and a hard place, and it's wrong.

Thanks to those who answered

If we didn't, what would happen? And how could anyone allow it to happen in conscience? We are left between a rock and a hard place, and it's wrong

It's a dilemma.
In the meantime we have to help. Charities have always had their place and the government provides funding to some as they know the charities are experienced and know how to target the money.
But should food banks become a routine and expected way of life?

Forsythia Mon 12-Dec-22 10:48:07

I’m angry about things that matter and affect me or my family. If I can alleviate in some way then I will. I dont get angry about things I can’t do anything about. I vote. I donate to food banks via Tesco drop off in store. I support my family through my time and helping them out. Getting angry about things you’ve no control over is detrimental to your health. I don’t do it.

henetha Mon 12-Dec-22 10:42:27

I'm rarely openly angry but am aware of being angry inside, on a personal level. I've been told this is why I get depression.
I'm sad about the state of the world rather than angry.

Katie59 Mon 12-Dec-22 09:43:45

Women are angrier our ambitions of equality were raised years ago with “girl power”, now for many nothing has changed, a few have better lives but for a significant number it’s got worse.
Food banks were unthinkable 30 yrs ago

Grantanow Mon 12-Dec-22 09:37:14

I think people - men and women - are going to get angrier with this crap Tory government unable to find its way out of a paper bag without calling in the army.

Aveline Mon 12-Dec-22 09:07:04

Zero hours contracts do suit some people. Funding a way to restrict them to those they're appropriate for is hard though.

Mollygo Mon 12-Dec-22 09:05:28

Now, if we continue helping by donating food and therefore papering over the cracks, are we complicit in allowing the government to ignore the very real problems.
See DD’s post above.
The other papering over is done by the number of parents, including pensioners who are subsidising their adult children’s food bills to help make sure the GC don’t go without.
And that’s on top of the tax they are already paying. Something needs to be done about zero hours!

Doodledog Mon 12-Dec-22 00:44:48

Now, if we continue helping by donating food and therefore papering over the cracks, are we complicit in allowing the government to ignore the very real problems?

That is a difficult question. I donate, but am aware that it is, as you say, papering over the cracks, and allowing the government to get away with their policies. Basically, the workers are paying in donations to enable unscrupulous employers to pay low wages.

If we didn't, what would happen? And how could anyone allow it to happen in conscience? We are left between a rock and a hard place, and it's wrong. We need a decent taxation system that is enforced with as much rigour as is benefit fraud detection. We need a proper living wage, and an end to zero hours contracts, so that people who work can earn enough to feed their families and are spared the indignity of food banks and attitudes like those expressed in the OP on the food bank thread - it's not a lot to ask.

SparklyGrandma Mon 12-Dec-22 00:14:11

If something angers me, I wait until my feelings have calmed down, then say something.

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Dec-22 23:01:33

DonnaB5859

Take that anger and turn it into action.

What are you going to DO About the food shortages experienced by so many that are much worse off than yourself?

It is easy to figure out what to do about a book or tv series you didn’t care for - but try to turn displeasure with other things into action

What are you going to DO About the food shortages experienced by so many that are much worse off than yourself?

What are you doing, DonnaB5859?

Now, if we continue helping by donating food and therefore papering over the cracks, are we complicit in allowing the government to ignore the very real problems?

How do we know just how well off other Gransnetters are or not, unless they say?

volver Sun 11-Dec-22 22:52:44

Forsythia

Oreo

123kitty

Sorry no time to read all posts. I've noticed when a post is fun and trying to lighten the mood there are gransnetters who somehow manage to turn the post into something serious, or even political, instead of enjoying a lighter moment. I picture them as angry grans. Life is serious at the moment but please let us enjoy the fun in life.

👍🏻

Agreed. Some like to provoke but I just laugh at them. I’m a Pollyanna you see. Winds them up big time.

Isn't it against GN rules to intentionally wind people up just to laugh at them?

Oh, just listen to me. What am I like? 🙄 Who cares about rules when you think that kind of thing is a jolly jape?

DonnaB5859 Sun 11-Dec-22 21:33:28

Take that anger and turn it into action.

It is easy to figure out what to do about a book or tv series you didn’t care for - but try to turn displeasure with other things into action

Callistemon21 Sun 11-Dec-22 20:29:57

Oreo

123kitty

Sorry no time to read all posts. I've noticed when a post is fun and trying to lighten the mood there are gransnetters who somehow manage to turn the post into something serious, or even political, instead of enjoying a lighter moment. I picture them as angry grans. Life is serious at the moment but please let us enjoy the fun in life.

👍🏻

Oh no!
Let's be angry all the time on GN, grim and miserable and annoyed.

That way we'll change the world!!

What did you say?
"Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose" ?

Forsythia Sun 11-Dec-22 20:27:25

Oreo

123kitty

👍🏻

Agreed. Some like to provoke but I just laugh at them. I’m a Pollyanna you see. Winds them up big time.

Oreo Sun 11-Dec-22 20:19:36

123kitty

👍🏻