Gransnet forums

Chat

70th gift ideas for Sister.

(24 Posts)
Sandynan Thu 12-Jan-23 15:56:07

Hello grans, my dear older sister is seventy this month, I really want to get her a special gift as she’s had a very tough year. Not pampering, facial etc as I did that for Christmas but just something meaningful, any ideas?

Theexwife Thu 12-Jan-23 15:59:36

Really depends on what she is into and how much you want to spend.

My favourite gifts have been things to plant in the garden, outings which have been from afternoon tea up to a weekend away.

Sandynan Thu 12-Jan-23 16:32:20

She does love her garden 🤔

JackyB Thu 12-Jan-23 16:55:58

Well that's easy then. A day at a garden centre where she can choose plants and seeds and you can have a cosy lunch or coffee together. Time together is always a good idea.

Norah Thu 12-Jan-23 16:59:42

I'd find a garden centre voucher lovely. Great idea!

glammanana Thu 12-Jan-23 17:00:14

Such a good idea for an afternoon in Garden Centre with afternoon tea served,you can then look for a Rose etc which is affiliated to her name along with a beautiful pot to plant it in.

TillyTrotter Thu 12-Jan-23 17:25:00

I don’t know where you live Sandynan but David Austin Roses at Wolverhampton (who exhibit at Chelsea Flower Show) have a very nice afternoon tea offering and over a hundred varieties of English roses that your sister could choose from.

Or accompany her on a trip to Chelsea Flower Show?

TillyTrotter Thu 12-Jan-23 17:26:00

Sorry , 700 hundred varieties not 100. 🌺

midgey Thu 12-Jan-23 17:37:16

Was just about to suggest David Austin. Pick the right time of year and it is the most beautiful place, …..cake is good too!

SecondhandRose Thu 12-Jan-23 17:51:40

Afternoon tea somewhere posh? Night away and visit to Highgrove garden?

SueDonim Thu 12-Jan-23 18:05:34

I don’t live near enough family to do days out etc so my ‘go-to’ for special birthdays are the Emma Bridgewater personalised mugs. I don’t put the date on, though! www.emmabridgewater.co.uk/collections/personalised-gifts-9975a1

Theexwife Thu 12-Jan-23 18:37:25

You can give a rose your sister's name and have that to plant in her garden. Google name a rose, there are many options and prices.

Sandynan Thu 12-Jan-23 19:32:48

Yes I like that idea , I don’t live near her so it would be nice to take her out for afternoon tea.

Sandynan Fri 13-Jan-23 08:26:48

That would be lovely we both love DA roses but I know she wouldn’t leave her husband too long as she’s his carer and it’s along way from us.

notgran Fri 13-Jan-23 10:21:04

I would find out first though if she drinks out of mugs as the EB ones are heavy and does she already have enough. For some reason I got 3 very nice mugs as part of Christmas presents. I have had to be very strict with myself and give 3 older mugs to the Charity Shop as I already had enough mugs for our needs. Incidentally I am 70 and would prefer something like an expensive bottle of perfume or champagne. You get to an age when ornaments etc are just more things to dust or put away out of sight.

Redhead56 Fri 13-Jan-23 10:35:17

There is nothing nicer than going to a good garden centre (if you like gardening) buying plants then having lunch. If she loves her garden that’s a good idea for a special birthday.

GrammyGrammy Fri 13-Jan-23 11:23:31

I don't know if we allowed to put links- this is not advertising. I saw this and thought of you and your sister www.travelzoo.com/uk/entertainment/london-southeast/-55pp-up-RHS-Garden-Wisley-ticket-overnight-stay-3007887/?utm_source=localdeal_uk&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=3008323_text_deal%3a3008323&utm_content=3008323&deliveryName=DM49100&ec=0&dlinkId=3008323

silverlining48 Fri 13-Jan-23 11:29:07

If you can have a word with a family member or friend who would keep an eye on your sisters husband I think she woukd love the idea of a day out to a garden centre or somewhere else with a special lunch, with you.

notgran Fri 13-Jan-23 13:25:49

Redhead56

There is nothing nicer than going to a good garden centre (if you like gardening) buying plants then having lunch. If she loves her garden that’s a good idea for a special birthday.

As you say "If you like gardening" I certainly don't and that wouldn't suit me. Not meaning to be contentious, it's just one of my bugbears the assumption that everyone thinks Garden Centres are fun places.

Nell8 Fri 13-Jan-23 13:33:59

Would your sister like a subscription to the Gardeners' World magazine?

GrammyGrammy Thu 02-Feb-23 09:53:44

What did you choose to give your sister in the end?

ParlorGames Thu 02-Feb-23 09:56:36

If she loves he garden can you find a commemorative rose or shrub that links to her name or her age?
I would love that personally.

ParlorGames Thu 02-Feb-23 09:59:43

Oooops, I didn't notice how old this thread was so apologies for suggesting something after the event...........just needed to get that in before the GN police jumped on me! smile

Ali08 Thu 02-Feb-23 12:24:32

Gardening mug, kneeler pad, pretty but good gardening gloves, seeds, a good hand cream. And a lovely food hamper with maybe a bottle of her favourite alcohol, if she partakes in alcohol, or tea/tea bags, coffee, hot chocolate. Some confectionery she likes, food she likes but wouldn't normally buy for herself.
Then afterwards she has a handy basket to help her carry things to and from her garden.