Gransnet forums

Chat

Sweets

(129 Posts)
1987H2001M2002Inanny Wed 25-Jan-23 12:40:41

On reading a post a few days ago when someone mentioned gentian violet(was this used for bee stings?) it reminded me of the sweets purple violets.I found them discusting.I think I probably tried all other sweets in the shop,and have the teeth fillings to prove it!! Any you particularly hated or were a favourite?

melp1 Mon 30-Jan-23 22:28:07

Aztec Bars, Horlicks Tablets, bonfire toffee.

specki4eyes Sun 29-Jan-23 15:30:28

Uncle Joe's Mint Balls. I buy a kg when I come back to UK to visit. Then I allow myself one or two a day.

Nanniejude Sun 29-Jan-23 15:13:10

Liquorice allsorts yum!!

Eloethan Sun 29-Jan-23 15:07:20

Used to love aniseed candy and sherbet lemons - they make my tongue sore now.

I like orange smarties and blackcurrant and liquorice sweets.

Hate those jelly with liquid inside sweets.

Does anyone remember Potato Puffs. We used to have them in our school tuck shop.

BlueNile57 Sun 29-Jan-23 14:01:23

Lots of good memories coming out reading this thread. I still love sweets and chocolate but as a child I loved sweet tobacco/Spanish Gold (which you can still buy), Golden Nuggets (little gold nuggets of chewing gum in a little drawstring bag), Keiller butterscotch, Tea Cakes, Fruit Salad. But one of my favourites (which I've never been able to track down) were raspberry eclairs, just like the toffee ones you can buy today but instead had raspberry filling instead of chocolate.

TwinLolly Sun 29-Jan-23 09:15:18

I've never liked toffee nor toffee apples. I perhaps like the taste but don't like the sticky chewyness that gets all over the teeth and gums them up. Possibly I have to suck them instead....

I think I loved most of my childhood sweets. And dad used to make the most delicious fudge (not sticky or soft but just right).

HiPpyChick57 Sun 29-Jan-23 09:04:29

gulligranny

There was a "proper" sweetshop near where I lived as a child which I'm sure sold beautiful little shiny sweeties called Satin Cushions. They were an odd shape (like cushions?) and in the loveliest colours like lime green, pink, mauve and lemon yellow but I've never met anyone who's also heard of them... did I dream them?

I also loved satin cushions. To eat and to look at. The colours were beautiful. I wonder if they still sell them in sweet shops that sell the old fashioned type sweets.

Peaseblossom Sun 29-Jan-23 00:34:57

Loved sherbet lemons, chewing nuts, tangerine balls, toffee bonbons. Hated pineapple cubes and cola cubes.

sharon103 Sat 28-Jan-23 22:02:37

I used to like Parma Violets. Barley Twists, Rainbow drops, Pineapple chunks and most of what's already been mentioned.
I've never liked fudge or liquorice.
In our little village grocery shop the sweet jars were on shelves. The cheapest at the bottom then went up and up according to the price.
We used to ponder for ages and ages making our minds up what to have. I bet Mrs.H the owner cursed us when she'd got a queue behind us.

sharon103 Sat 28-Jan-23 21:37:41

gulligranny

There was a "proper" sweetshop near where I lived as a child which I'm sure sold beautiful little shiny sweeties called Satin Cushions. They were an odd shape (like cushions?) and in the loveliest colours like lime green, pink, mauve and lemon yellow but I've never met anyone who's also heard of them... did I dream them?

No you didn't dream them. I remember them too. smile

Antonia Sat 28-Jan-23 21:23:03

Wagon wheels which we bought at the swimming baths. Also mars bars, crunchiest, which I loved, and spangles.

Oreo Sat 28-Jan-23 20:39:15

I liked anything with nuts in it, still love nuts today.
Choc brazils and peanut crunch and Cadburys fruit and nut.

Oreo Sat 28-Jan-23 20:34:53

NotSpaghetti

Me too Sallymander. I liked the very floral cachoes too which were similar.

I also miss the Callard & Bowser rather beautifully packaged "sticks" of liquorice toffees, butterscotch and a sort of torrone (maybe nougat?).
Just lovely.

There’s a lot on this thread that I’ve never heard of but what are cachoes and torrone? Sounds French?

MrsKen33 Sat 28-Jan-23 18:38:32

Has anyone mentioned Palm toffee yet. Especially the one with a streak of bananas through the middle.

SachaMac Sat 28-Jan-23 18:17:07

I liked chocolate limes, coconut mushrooms and the black & white minty liquorice allsorts. I didn’t like the chocolate chewy nuts (stuck to your teeth) black jacks or bulls eyes.
We used to get a box of Weekend on our birthdays which were nice, I still buy one of my other big favourites, chocolate raisins & chocolate peanuts, peanut Treets were great too.

Cossy Sat 28-Jan-23 17:57:02

Parma Violets - disgusting haha and didn’t really like any kind of jelly sweets - proper humbugs were my absolute favourite along with sherbet anything and liquorice so loved those sherbet fountain thingies with the liquorice “straws”

Supergran1946 Sat 28-Jan-23 17:55:47

My favourites were Fruit Salads which you could buy 4 for a penny. Loved going to the sweetshop once a week for some of these.

BlueSapphire Sat 28-Jan-23 17:55:29

Sherbet lemons were my absolute favourite. Didn't do my teeth any good.

Urmstongran Sat 28-Jan-23 17:55:12

Janetashbolt

Anyone else notice how small the pink shrimps and white mice are now??

Or maybe our hands are bigger now we’re grown? 🤣

1987H2001M2002Inanny Sat 28-Jan-23 17:51:47

Yes,Kieller butterscoth in a silver wrapper.
I have a confession...I was a Saturday girl in Woolies on the sweet counter and used to stoop down to eat a bit of fudge or whatever took my fancy.Naughty girl !!

homefarm Sat 28-Jan-23 17:40:20

loved sherbet lemons, hated anything liquorice and still do.

paddyann54 Sat 28-Jan-23 17:20:19

My granny used to pass Murray Mints along the row in church much to my mums annoyance,we weren't supposed to eat sweets in church
.My dad always had Oddfellows in his pockets , warm cinnamony smelling crunchy sweets in pastel colours.I smelled them recently though they weren't sweets but scented candles ,shame,I would have bought all the shop had as it instantly brought my lovely dad to mind.
I was always a liquorice girl ,the local shopkeeper kept me a pack of liquorice comfits every day ...to add to the sweetie cigarettes from an auntie .Its a wonder I had teeth by the time I started school

jerseygirl Sat 28-Jan-23 17:11:26

love torpedos, chalky alphabet letters, love lemon bon bons. Hated parma violets, cola cubes and sarspirela tablets (prob not spelt right)

Musicgirl Sat 28-Jan-23 16:52:32

I have always preferred chocolate to other types of sweets but as a child I was partial to sherbet dip dabs, Toffos, alphabet sweets, which were a hard candy, Opal Fruits and Fruit Pastilles. I liked chocolate limes and Smarties too. I have always detested anything with nuts, particularly coconut. I don't much like mints either. These days it is just chocolate - Roses are my favourite - but we do have Fruit Sherbets on a long car journey and wine gums are very soothing for a sore throat. This is a lovely thread but we probably ought to heed the warnings in Pam Ayres' famous poem - l Wished I'd Looked After My Teeth!

Anneeba Sat 28-Jan-23 16:15:13

Black Jacks and fruit salads, four for 1/2d. Sherbet pips that stuck together as soon as you left the sweet shop, but which we passed up and down the benches every science lesson so everyone could break a few off the lump, often with a bit of the little white paper bag stuck to them. Caramac bars always looked like you got more for your money than other chocolate, probably because they had no cocoa in 🤣. Love hearts, Parma violets, so many sweets that rubbed the roof of your mouth raw after more than one. For my mother a Fry's Turkish Delight.