Gransnet forums

Chat

Biscuits

(41 Posts)
watermeadow Sun 29-Jan-23 13:28:10

We’ve had a lovely nostalgic sweetie thread so now remember the biscuits from your childhood.
I remember pink wafers and party rings, iced gems and Kit Kats. I think these are all still sold.
I was a greedy child and remember vividly my first Wagon Wheel, which seemed as big as a tea plate.

PinkCosmos Thu 02-Feb-23 15:22:41

Does anyone remember Dundee biscuits. They were round shortbread type biscuits with chocolate on one side. You could buy them in packets of four I think.

I always used to have them as a treat after we had been to the local swimming baths.

Haven't seen them for years

Alioop Thu 02-Feb-23 15:13:34

Well Marydoll guess who went to Home Bargains today and arrived home with Jam Mallows that are the same as Mikados. Many thanks for letting me know.
nadateturbe get yourself down to your nearest H.B's and then get the kettle on.

nadateturbe Thu 02-Feb-23 04:11:47

Thanks Marydoll.

Blossoming Wed 01-Feb-23 15:14:13

Hampden wafers

LadyHonoriaDedlock Wed 01-Feb-23 15:05:54

McVities Ginger Nuts before they changed the recipe and made them softer and more likely to crumble into your tea when you dunked them.

Huntley & Palmer's Lemon Puffs – the most exquisite of biscuits; I never did understand why they were discontinued.

I seldom buy biscuits any more and when I do it will be when I am expecting company and they will be quality ones, Dark Chocolate Gingers and Sultana Melts from Border Biscuits of Lanark or (be still my beating heart!) Lemon Melts and Apple Crumbles by the Island Bakery of Tobermory– this isn't out of snobbery or even loyalty to my adopted country but because I know if I buy any biscuits for myself I will eat them in short order.

My philosophy these days is less but of better quality of things that are bad for me. The upside is that I find I actually want less of the quality product. Just as I can scoff a whole packet of custard creams, if I buy myself a Galaxy bar as I used to almost daily I can't just eat a few squares and put it aside, it has to be the whole bar. I know what it is, it's the sugar not the chocolate that is "moreish" (ie addictive) and if I buy myself a box of 14 Hotel Chocolat 70% batons I can easily restrict myself to one a day, so that works out a lot cheaper than a Galaxy bar a day. Same with cheese, to which I actually have a slight intolerance. I no longer buy mousetrap unless I want it for cooking because I'll happily nibble away at it until it's gone, but if I treat myself very occasionally to a small amount of something exotically pungent from Mr Mellis's or Mr Mew's empororia that will make me very content!

Teacheranne Wed 01-Feb-23 14:22:39

My auntie worked at the Mcvities factory in Manchester and used to buy the broken biscuits for us, I used to look forward to her weekly visit to see what chocolate ones she had!

Marydoll Wed 01-Feb-23 11:05:50

nadateturbe

Thanks Alioop I couldn't remember Mikado.

Mikado are still available in Home Bargains and B&M.

nadateturbe Wed 01-Feb-23 09:37:07

Thanks Alioop I couldn't remember Mikado.

Yammy Wed 01-Feb-23 09:26:53

Joseanne

Lemon puffs.
And fly biscuits, 🪰 (I think they were garibaldis).

My father always called Garibaldi biscuits where flies go in winter, also the local speciality currant cake small squares of pastry packed with currants. My mum bought Fig rolls because she was the only one who liked them. I loved Abbey crunch and Kitkats.

MrsKen33 Wed 01-Feb-23 05:59:40

Fig rolls, Nice or shortbread. Never fail.

Alioop Wed 01-Feb-23 05:30:45

Mikados were one of my favourites as a child and I had a certain way to eat one to try to make it last longer. I still remember the advert for Kimberly, Mikado and Coconut Creams.

crazyH Wed 01-Feb-23 01:05:31

Plain Digestives

peli Wed 01-Feb-23 01:04:19

BlueBelle: I remember Dads Cookies.

Nannytopsy Mon 30-Jan-23 23:45:21

Barmouth biscuits! Like round langes du chat

nadateturbe Mon 30-Jan-23 23:03:16

Another Gypsy creams fan. Also Kimberley marshmallow and Ginger creams. Think that's what you were thinking of 1Summer.

Granmarderby10 Mon 30-Jan-23 22:10:46

Please Gransnet, can you get rid of these pop ups?😒

1summer Mon 30-Jan-23 22:03:22

Can’t remember what they were called but I used to love a biscuit with lines of marshmallow and jam then covered in coconut. Or marshmallow and chocolate tea cakes.

Mogsmaw Mon 30-Jan-23 21:43:41

Deedaa

Wagon Wheels were huge weren't they? They are very disappointing now. I really miss Spangles.

I know what you mean, wagon wheels are smaller, except they aren’t.
Back in the day you could, apparently, fit a wagon wheel exactly in the top of a traditional Scot’s mutton pie. And you still can and some of the pie presses are over 100 years old.
It appears it’s because we have got bigger, not the mallow delights smaller.

BlueBelle Mon 30-Jan-23 21:33:52

No one’s ever heard of my favourite childhood biscuits
They were called Dads Cookies and the nearest I can get to now is Hob Nobs but they were different
I used to love dipping them in

Granmarderby10 Mon 30-Jan-23 21:26:18

I find that biscuits go stale very quickly compared to years ago and suspect it maybe because so many “additives” have been removed and/or cheaper fats/oils used or replaced. Palm oil has been removed from many foods, and with good reason, but was it tastier and better keeping

Granmarderby10 Mon 30-Jan-23 21:18:56

I loved Royal Scott biscuits * HousePlantQueen* whatever happened to them? Also, they could be bought in small packs from vending machines at Railway stations and the like.
Does anyone remember Lincoln biscuits? - they had dimples all over.
Lemon puffs don’t taste quite the same, I recall them being much stickier😋

Suki70 Mon 30-Jan-23 21:11:19

GrandmaSeaDragon Thank you for reminding me of those glass topped tins of biscuits which I remember from my parents’s grocery shop in the 1940’s and 50’s . They were weighed and sold in brown paper bags.
My favourites from the shop were Penguins and Malted Milk.

Hellogirl1 Mon 30-Jan-23 21:10:01

Biscuits aren`t a patch on what they used to be. I had a large box bought me at Christmas, they look delicious, but they`re chewy, rather than crispy, and not much taste to them. Very disappointing. If you`re wondering, they`re Fox`s Family Assortment.

lixy Mon 30-Jan-23 21:04:40

Gipsy creams were a favourite here too.
I often had a Viscount mint chocolate biscuit in my school lunch box as a Friday treat.

HousePlantQueen Mon 30-Jan-23 20:57:22

GrandmaSeaDragon

In my Grandad’s grocery shop (late 50s/early 60s) I remember the glass lidded boxes of loose biscuits all along the front of the counter. The end box always had a mixture of broken ones! The only biscuits I remember at home were Royal Scott, my favourites, Nice, which I hated and those thin shortbready ones with a hole in the middle, I don’t knew what they were called and I’ve never found them since!

Oh I loved Royal Scot biscuits 😋. My late DM used to sandwich two together with icing, ice the top and then sprinkles. These were a birthday party treat