Gransnet forums

Chat

What would you spend this £1000 on?

(82 Posts)
Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 11:15:49

If you had a £1000 to spend on something to pass on to a Grandchild or other relative, something that would be an investment for their future and might grow in value if they kept it for some years, (It was watching a programme yesterday where someone had had a large amount of gold jewellery left to them that has made me ponder this). I wondered about a Gold Sovereign, what would you buy?

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 17:04:24

Germanshepherdsmum

premium bonds aren’t items?

Okay, Premium Bonds and any other Bonds are excluded (its my game, my rules lol)

Callistemon21 Tue 31-Jan-23 17:11:50

Oh, it's a game.

Sorry, as it was under Chat not Games, I thought you wanted advice!

A metal detector, they might find a treasure trove.

crazyH Tue 31-Jan-23 17:19:04

kateykrunch - I have found something which would suit your price and criteria. It’s one single coin - a Krugerand - £925 at todays price

Germanshepherdsmum Tue 31-Jan-23 17:20:55

You might buy two grams of gold for £1k. You wouldn’t get a krugerrand. Sorry but buying an item for £1k isn’t worth bothering with unless you have a crystal ball.

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 18:22:29

Callistemon21

Oh, it's a game.

Hi Callistemon21, it is for ideas really, but I just needed to clarify it couldnt be money or bonds lol.

Norah Tue 31-Jan-23 18:53:04

Kateykrunch

Callistemon21

Oh, it's a game.

Hi Callistemon21, it is for ideas really, but I just needed to clarify it couldnt be money or bonds lol.

Good game!

We always give percentages to a plot of land. I don't really know what it's called, solicitor involved in our land accomplishes.

Raw land doesn't drop in value.

Luckygirl3 Tue 31-Jan-23 19:14:14

I would plant a wood!

grannyactivist Tue 31-Jan-23 19:21:47

I was gifted a gold sovereign as a ‘thank you’ by a very kind (and wealthy) woman. I'd forgotten I had it until reading this thread and I have no idea where it is, but it’s worth as it’s worth about £400 I may go and look for it while I remember I’ve got it. 😶‍🌫️

Bridie22 Tue 31-Jan-23 19:36:05

As above I would plant trees.

1987H2001M2002Inanny Tue 31-Jan-23 19:42:18

Kateykrunch, why has your post/question changed soooo much from 11.15 this morning to 16.40 this afternoon ??????? If you move the goal posts how can people make an educated decision ??????

Callistemon21 Tue 31-Jan-23 19:43:42

Luckygirl3

I would plant a wood!

Good idea.

I have bought trees in new woods and forests for my DGC but £1,000 would buy quite a lot of trees.

Witzend Tue 31-Jan-23 20:32:21

If it’s got to be an item, then gold, in sovereigns or Krugerrands. I wouldn’t buy jewellery- how on earth would you know what they’re going to like 10 or more years down the line?”

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 21:21:16

1987H2001M2002Inanny

Kateykrunch, why has your post/question changed soooo much from 11.15 this morning to 16.40 this afternoon ??????? If you move the goal posts how can people make an educated decision ??????

Well it was just for clarity really, I am looking for a physical item that isnt a pile of cash or a bond. I thought my Original post gave the substance of the idea, but perhaps I was vague, hence my ‘new rules’.

BigBertha1 Tue 31-Jan-23 22:37:37

A painting or an antique clock

Kateykrunch Tue 31-Jan-23 22:45:23

Witzend

If it’s got to be an item, then gold, in sovereigns or Krugerrands. I wouldn’t buy jewellery- how on earth would you know what they’re going to like 10 or more years down the line?”

Oh they dont have to like it, its purely for the value to hopefully have grown so they can release funds from it. I think I agree, gold, sovereigns or Kruggerands, although land and trees sounds interesting.

M0nica Tue 31-Jan-23 22:46:49

I would spend it on a painting for each. I would buy 2 paintings by artists from the Newlyn School. The big names and their works command huge prices, but it is possible to get smaller paintings by less well known memebers,for £1,000.

Because this school of painters has big well known artists whose works command 10s of thousands of £s, the value of the smaller, less known works, should keep pace with the movement leaders.

In the meanwhile the paintings can hang on the wall, mine or DGC's and be a pleasure to look at. DGD, would certainly love to have a painting like this.

dragonfly46 Tue 31-Jan-23 22:52:13

We pay every month into junior ISAs for the DGC. It is amazing how it mounts up.

Callistemon21 Tue 31-Jan-23 22:56:09

Interest rates are going up again too.

Lexisgranny Tue 31-Jan-23 22:57:28

I have a sovereign, it was one of the 21 given to my mother for her 21st birthday, in those days it was only worth face value. At todays prices they would probably be worth about £10,000. However it is 101 years since she was 21!

Witzend Wed 01-Feb-23 12:38:15

Kateykrunch

Witzend

Oh they dont have to like it, its purely for the value to hopefully have grown so they can release funds from it. I think I agree, gold, sovereigns or Kruggerands, although land and trees sounds interesting.

Yes, but what you get from even good 2nd hand jewellery is often way less than what you paid. That’s why IMO gold by weight would be preferable - that is if you’re thinking of long term value.

Might add that I was keen to buy dd1 a diamond bracelet for her 18th but she said she’d probably only lose it (true enough) - she’d rather have the cash for ‘experiences’, which in her case meant travel.

Norah Wed 01-Feb-23 12:43:05

Callistemon21

Interest rates are going up again too.

That's the most wonderful bit to happen lately!

pascal30 Thu 02-Feb-23 11:14:32

a rug, a painting or a sculpture..

LizzieL Thu 02-Feb-23 11:17:06

I would get lifetime membership of the National Trust. We bought that for our oldest and youngest offspring on their 21st birthdays. The middle child chose a state of the art computer instead which was soon obsolete and worth next to nothing. The National Trust membership is increasingly appreciated by the other 2.

FannyCornforth Thu 02-Feb-23 11:19:50

I’d do some research into collectibles of the future.
Maybe some item if technology that will be unusual and valuable.
For example, early video consoles from the 80s fetch a lot of money now.

She777 Thu 02-Feb-23 11:45:18

Kateykrunch If you buy gold the price at the moment is at an all time high and will probably start to drop when savings interest rates start to climb again. If you do buy a sovereign you should buy it second hand as a new is almost double the gold value.
As others have said I would invest it in PBs but tick the box to re-invest any wins the bond has. If the person you are buying for is 10 and they will get the bond when they are 18/21 it could have accumulated a few wins and so they would receive more than you initially invested.