Gransnet forums

Chat

How many?

(5 Posts)
1987H2001M2002Inanny Tue 31-Jan-23 19:23:35

Something occured to me this morning...I was getting a loo roll out of packet and I thought how many products do I use in the bathroom every day and what impact will they having on the planet as my Grandson grows to my age.
So loo roll,wet wipes,soap,toothpaste,mouthwash,shampoo,conditioner,deodorant,talc,sometimes makeup,air freshener,toilet cleaner or bleach or disinfectan,bathroom cleaner.....thats just at the start of the day in one room never mind the kitchen and all else. Have we to a great degree wrecked things for future generations and are we prepared to change our ways or just leave it to everyone else (who probably won't bother?)

AreWeThereYet Tue 31-Jan-23 19:49:56

Loo roll
Toothpaste
Mouthwash
Roll on deodorant (eco friendly)
Bronner soap/vinegar/soda crystals/bicarb/beeswax for cleaning (same for kitchen)
Vary rarely Harpic to deal with limescale
Laundry powder
Dishwasher tablets

Some makeup occasionally
Probably a few other things scattered around for occasional use

No bleach, no disinfectants, no talc, no wipes, no air freshener, no shampoo, no conditioner although I did used to use them all years ago

M0nica Tue 31-Jan-23 19:50:08

For loo paper listen to this www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct3k5w#xtor=CS8-1000-[Discovery_Cards]-[Multi_Site]-[GR01]-[PS_SOUNDS~N~~P_MoreOrLessToiletPaper].

I have cut down the number of household chemicals I use. The same product that cleans a loo and wash basin will clean a sink and anything tiled. You only need one hard surface cleaner. I then buy ones with reasonable environmental accreditation.

My loo paper is made from recycled paper and tiletries are not the big brands but, again those with good environmental accreditation. By that I mean external bodies, not manufacturers claims.

MerylStreep Tue 31-Jan-23 20:06:46

It horrifies me when I see how how many of these products people have in their bathrooms and kitchen.
Manufacturers are rubbing their hands with glee with the amount of profit they’re making out of you.
If it was just the selling/ buying aspect I couldn’t care less. If you want to make rich manufactures even richer, fill your boots, but it’s not.

M0nica Wed 01-Feb-23 12:05:55

Have you read orheard on the news today the damage, Ultra processed foods (UPF) are doing to our health? Same thing, products with lots of chemicals in them to keep food fresh, or smooth or to extend shelf life.