Gransnet forums

Chat

Chocolates

(128 Posts)
MiniMoon Thu 02-Feb-23 17:09:11

We received 2 lovely big boxes of chocolates at Christmas. Cadburys Milk Tray and Nestle Dairy Box.
What a disappointment!
They were all either truffles or pralines. What has happened to all the lovely creams and nutty centres that I used to love?
Why did they have to change them? šŸ˜”

JaneJudge Sun 05-Feb-23 17:02:05

they sell thorntons?

cc Sun 05-Feb-23 16:57:22

I had a moan at Ocado the other day because there wasn't a single decent box of chocolates for sale on there at a reasonable price. I don't like the boring pralines (though I'll eat truffles) but the expensive continental brands always seem to incude loads of them. I'm also not keen on caramels or toffees, just too sickly. So many of the selections are just downright dull - and none of them are in lovely boxes either.

I really don't know what to get for my daughter for Easter, I used to get her Milk Tray or something similar, but just reading the product description and the negative reviews on the various boxes puts me off.
There is a very expensive Hotel Chocolat box but I've had them before and they're just not our cup of tea. There was one Prestat box which looked nice (and was on offer so will probably be out of stock) so I've ordered that and will keep my fingers crossed that they have it.
I do wish they would bring back a simple old fashioned box of chocolates, like the old Black Magic or the Gold box one whose name I can't remember.

ParlorGames Sun 05-Feb-23 15:51:17

HiPpyChick57

MiniMoon

I liked the lime barrel in Milk Tray. I may be in the minority here but it was yummy.

That was always my favourite too. Gutted when they stopped doing that one.

Another Lime Barrel lover here! Vey disappointed when they stopped including it.
I think most chocolate tastes different now. My favourite just now is Fry's Turkish Delight, 3 bars for Ā£1, keep it in the fridge and nibble the chocolate off...........sheer bliss!

minxie Sun 05-Feb-23 15:39:39

Milk tray, Iā€™ve always begrudged the fact they took away Lime barrels. Donā€™t get me started on orange creams now being a chocolate chunk

elleks Sun 05-Feb-23 15:37:47

AussieGran59

We were given a box of Beechā€™s chocolates with a lemon filling for Christmas. I think theyā€™re from the UK? Absolutely delicious.
We wonā€™t buy the boxed chocolates like Quality Street any more because they are revolting now.
I also hate salted caramel. (Just as well.)

Beech's do a whole range of lovely fondant creams. www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwj98bjT2v78AhUPh1wKHRNYBYQQFnoECA0QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fbeechsfinechocolates.com%2Fcollections%2F90g-fondant-cremes&usg=AOvVaw03r1272V7f7sOybmtqNfaO

Nannashirlz Sun 05-Feb-23 15:26:47

Iā€™ve actually stopped buying brands and buying stores own as seem to have more flavour nowadays itā€™s like i like hotel chocolate but even them have lost taste and size so you donā€™t always get what you pay for my friend give me some Tescoā€™s chocolate she had I enjoyed it so I bought my own lol

Milest0ne Sun 05-Feb-23 15:22:55

I don't like chocolate in a bar but I love an occasional hot chocolate drink.. It's a tub of Twiglets for me.
I thought it was obvious that chocolate would change and not for the better when Cadbury was taken over by an American company, At a shopping outlet in Fleetwood you could make up your own selection of Thorntons chocolates

Chestnut Sun 05-Feb-23 14:40:41

Maybe check out James Cadbury who is a descendant of the real Cadbury family and now has his own company. This is quality chocolate, sold at John Lewis, Selfridge and Harrods.
Love Cocoa by James Cadbury

Pudding123 Sun 05-Feb-23 14:34:08

Another one here for lime barrel...always bagged that before my sister's as a child.

Gundy Sun 05-Feb-23 14:29:55

Iā€™m surprised no one mentioned how good the 70% dark chocolate bars are from IKEA! Thereā€™s a creamy softness to their bar with a definite dark chocolate taste. And they are not too expensive either. Good for chopping up for baking, chocolate desserts too.

Swedish chocolates and candy on the whole are very interesting.
Cheers!
USA Gundy

ElaineRI55 Sun 05-Feb-23 14:28:30

Cadbury chocolate definitely tastes different these days as do some very expensive brands - slimy and fatty and tasteless! Fin Carre and some other relatively cheap brands taste better. White chocolate with strawberry crisp - yummy.

HiPpyChick57 Sun 05-Feb-23 14:23:14

MiniMoon

I liked the lime barrel in Milk Tray. I may be in the minority here but it was yummy.

That was always my favourite too. Gutted when they stopped doing that one.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Sun 05-Feb-23 14:17:31

Sorry to digress slightly but Mr GrowingOld and I were saying similarly about digestive biscuits only yesterday. They used to be lovely and crumbly and with taste to them and my favourite biccy. I suppose the food police and the bean counters have interfered, and now they are hard enough to use as weapons, and with less taste than a cardboard box. Doesn't matter whether branded or supermarkets own, all as nasty and unappetising. Oh well, that's one less source of calories to eat nowadays.
For the information of the poster who was mourning the lack of Caramac bars, I have found them fairly recently in a Budgens petrol station and mini supermarket. Not sure they taste the same either nowadays. sad

Bazza Sun 05-Feb-23 14:09:21

Our current favourite are marks and spencer Cherry liqueur chocolates in a flat red box. Very reasonable too. As for American chocolate šŸ¤®, particularly Hershey. Donā€™t mind Tonyā€™s, but breaking those mismatched sections are such a faff. Lindt it always good, particularly the whole hazelnut bar, but itā€™s gone up a lot lately, although what hasnā€™t.

Romola Sun 05-Feb-23 14:07:16

I got a tub of Cadbury Roses at Christmas, the first for some years. The chocs were okay but I was sorry that they were wrapped in plastic envelopes instead of shiny coloured cellophane. We used to make chains of them to put round the tree, children then allowed to take one or two at appropriate times.

sharon103 Sun 05-Feb-23 14:00:15

Sasta

Yes MiniMoon, it was gorgeous! Do you remember their Milk Tray bar? It was about a ā€˜shillingā€™ and a real treat with all the yummy centres held together in a thin chocolate bar.

Oooo yes I remember I remember buying the Milk tray bar. I loved the lime piece.
Black Magic used to be a favourite of mine years ago.
None of the old names boxes of chocolates are worth buying now.
My favourite is Hotel Chocolat but too expensive. I usually get some for Christmas but no-one bought me any last year. sad

Treetops05 Sun 05-Feb-23 13:52:59

Catterygirl

Not a chocolate fan. However, husband treats me to Leonidas now and again. Delish. I manage to eat them within six months. Anything else is binned as is left in the fridge too long. Hate Roses.
Green and Black is pretty good.
My absolute favourite are rose and violet creams. Not always easy to find. I justify the expense because I eat so few. Not averse to Mars, Bounty or Crunchie. Just never think of buying them.

There is a Bristol chocolate company called Guilberts who do entire boxes of Rose and Violet which I received for Christmas. Not cheap but utterly gorgeous. There assortment has many soft fruit centres in too!

Gabrielle56 Sun 05-Feb-23 13:52:25

Snap! Cadbury bought/ wrestled from us by Americans who promised faithfully to hat to heyd maintain manufacturing in UK....they lied!!! Everyone los TV jobs, production went. Along with the fantastic reputation and good name of our flagship confectioners, replaced by sicky syrupy palm o I'm l(it's killing the rainforests ya know) and it all tastes....gritty. Oily , sugary , sickly , basically American horror story!!! And have you seen those DISGUSTING bars with great chunks of cra.....bits of sugar/mallow/ look like do do wrapped in foil.......

Witzend Sun 05-Feb-23 13:48:46

Itā€™s just as well nobody does whole boxes of orange creams - at least Iā€™ve never found any - since Iā€™d be making a right šŸ· of myself on a regular basis.
I do really like rose and violet creams, but nobody ever gives me any.

When I was rather younger, , I didnā€™t really like any of the cream ones - much preferred nutty or caramel ones. Funny, innit?

Gabrielle56 Sun 05-Feb-23 13:46:19

I had a lovely selection of Thornton's chocs, except there was very little choice! Six almond truffle, four strong coffee....truffle, a nutty....truffle, a couple white dusted....truffle, and a couple white chocolate....truffl s!!!?! What a boring let down. Cheap cheap cheap and honestly a bit of a chore to finish, giving half to DH as not a fan of nutty ones! My DS would have taken time buying these as he's very thoughtful and I'm a tad angry that they were probably not what he intends for me!! I sound a bit daft don't I šŸ¤£ they're chocolates, calm down dear!....but I agree I'd rather pay more and get a proper selection!

IrishDancing Sun 05-Feb-23 13:38:52

Lindt - like all of their flavours.
M&S Selection - mostly milk chocolate which I prefer.
Guylian - horrible.
Havenā€™t had Milk Tray for years - used to be my favourite.

Scottiebear Sun 05-Feb-23 13:29:46

We treated ourselves to a big box of Hotel Chocolates for the last two Christmases. Expensive. But the best I have come across.

Neilspurgeon0 Sun 05-Feb-23 13:24:53

varian I didnā€™t know, until Saturday, but you can buy bags of just small individually covered chocolate covered Fryā€™s Turkish Delight - I got a bag in Poundland for Ā£1 !! And they are delicious. Not sure about other flavours but a start towards your wishes anyway.

Oreo Sun 05-Feb-23 13:18:55

Beeches are a Northern English firm that make really good chocs, all kinds, coffee creams, and dark choc with ginger are really nice.
Other than that, as I canā€™t afford expensive ones, the M&S chocs are pretty good, also their boxes of choc biscuits.

Mollygo Sun 05-Feb-23 13:10:41

Guylian- favourite chocs of my parents, one sister-in-law and popular prize at raffles. I guess itā€™s just how they taste to you. Iā€™m not overwhelmed-theyā€™re supposed to taste like the chocolates we got in Bruges but they donā€™t.