Gransnet forums

Chat

Are they mine ?

(48 Posts)
ginny Thu 02-Feb-23 20:16:50

For the last couple of weeks I’ve been looking for a pair of my glasses, I wear them for reading and close work. Yesterday evening at our WI meeting one of the ladies ( whose house I had been at for a meeting)gave me a bag with a pair of glasses and a pen inside.
“ Did you leave these at my house ? “ she asked.
Ah ! My lost glasses and yes the pen was mine, it had an unusual logo on it.
Standing in the kitchen this morning , DH asked if I had new glasses as did Dd3 when she called in a little later. They both said how well they suited me, much better than my usual choice.

Now these glasses fit perfectly and I can read every thing clearly but now I look at them they are nothing like the shape of frame I normally choose and are somewhat darker in colour. I always choose very light ones as I hate wearing them.
So is there someone out there wearing mine ? Are they quite happy with them not realising they are different ?
Should I be worried about me ?

Lauren59 Wed 08-Feb-23 02:18:02

I have at least ten pair of inexpensive reading glasses. I was forever losing them around the house and can’t read a thing without them. I ordered two multi-packs so now they’re everywhere. No need to search!

mokryna Tue 07-Feb-23 22:20:10

What I have been doing so as not to lose mine is, to print out my telephone number very small onto paper, then after cutting the narrow strip of paper, sellotaping it to the inside of one of the thicker parts of an arm of the glasses.
When on holiday, I printout the hotel name and their number and put it on the other arm.

NotSpaghetti Tue 07-Feb-23 19:14:54

I Actually got in someone else's car in a big car park one Christmas Eve.

It was either left unlocked or my key fob "bleep" had opened 2 cars (surely not!)...

I was really confused about all the "stuff"/gifts in the car but believed it was my car so that made no sense.. - it had my (I thought) my husband's coat on the back seat.... and a pair of froggy children's wellies in the footwell.

I sat looking at the gifts on the passenger seat for a while then called my husband (no reply). What was going on??
I waited a few minutes then got out to put something in the in boot.
I'd given my daughter a lift into town so maybe it was her shopping.... i tried to make sense of it..

... were these her gifts? How had she got in? Had my husband come into town in his car but bringing the spare car key ??? 🙄🤣...

In the boot was nothing that ought to be there but lots of other stuff...

Eventually I scanned the car park (for my husband and/or daughter).

hmm
THERE was my car! Just 2 cars along. Same colour same model same year!

Oh crikey!
... I couldn't get away quickly enough!

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Feb-23 12:29:50

Duh!

Urmstongran Tue 07-Feb-23 12:26:57

Calli sooo funny - afterwards! 🤣👋

Callistemon21 Tue 07-Feb-23 12:20:46

*Urms 😂

I spent ages looking for my car in a big carpark at an out-of-town shopping centre.
It was years ago and I didn't have a mobile phone, couldn't phone DH. I thought it had been stolen and was nearly in tears.
Then I remembered I'd taken DH's car.

Urmstongran Tue 07-Feb-23 12:11:43

Over 25y ago our eldest daughter drove to her Saturday job, using the family car. Late afternoon she rang saying she couldn’t unlock the door. (Key, not fob in those days). Himself went to a neighbour friend and they drove into the next town to the car park. Turned out she’d been trying to get in the wrong white Micra. She said afterwards “I wondered what all those caravan stickers were on the back windscreen!”. Duh.

NotSpaghetti Tue 07-Feb-23 08:03:43

I am loving this silly thread! Thank you all. grin

JackyB Mon 06-Feb-23 14:01:04

Ginny do you have an older photo of yourself wearing glasses where you could see which ones you used to wear?

Grammaretto Mon 06-Feb-23 13:43:38

DFiL used to drive his wife to the shops each day to pick up the messages and newspaper. He will have sat in the car with the engine running.

She recalls an occasion when she rushed out of the shop and jumped into a car and started telling the complete stranger the day's gossip.
She claimed later that the all cars and men were similar.

AreWeThereYet Mon 06-Feb-23 12:42:21

I once nearly sat in a lady's lap when I mistook her car for my rental car in the US. She was parked where I normally park when I grabbed my coffee on the way to work. Not sure who had the bigger shock (she actually looked quite terrified) and she was lucky I had hold of my coffee as she nearly got that too.

GreenGran78 Mon 06-Feb-23 11:08:32

Somewhere in the world are two pairs of new prescription sunglasses. On two occasions I packed them, to take to Australia with me. On both occasions they disappeared, never to be seen again in either country. It's something that has puzzled me ever since. Is there such a thing as a 'suitcase black hole?'

Yammy Mon 06-Feb-23 10:42:19

My MIL had DH stopping with her but went on a day trip with her husband. She felt very poorly and he took her to the local hospital. After they examined her she was starting to feel a bit better and they passed her, her glasses she said they were not hers. She had grabbed DH's on her way out one of them was long-sighted the other short-sighted.
DH and his Brother both wear contact lenses after a full-on night out, next morning accidentally put each other lenses in, DH quipped "Who needs pints when you can just swap lenses".

Grammaretto Sun 05-Feb-23 21:55:53

I wear mine on a cord round my neck and have done for years. I can still lose them though!
They are only for close up so I take them off for walking, driving infact everything else.
I have several pairs but one favourite.

But think yourself lucky it's only specs and cars and possibly teeth

When my first baby was born he was put in the nursery with all the others and was brought to me at feed times, every 4 hours back then.
One time I unwrapped the swaddled babe and found he had become a girl!
Luckily the baby girl's mother noticed at about the same time so we swapped back but I sometimes wonder how many mistakes were made in the past. The worrying thing was both crying babies looked very similar.

Mallin Sun 05-Feb-23 21:28:58

Over 50 yrs ago when contact lenses were cumbersome things which took ages to arrive after ordering, a friendly dog licked and swallowed my left contact lens.
After 6 weeks a spare arrived and I promptly dropped and trod on it.
By the time yet another one arrived my eyes had become adjusted that I no longer had clear vision when wearing both and I’ve never worn a pair again.
My left eye is for reading and my right, with a contact lens, gives excellent long distance vision
I no longer use an optician except for an eye check up every now and then, but every one I’ve visited has tried to persuade me to use a pair of lenses. It’s annoying as I’d then need to wear glasses for reading!

Cagsy Sun 05-Feb-23 18:26:43

That’s funny but also a nightmare when you can’t find your glasses which is why I first got varifocals, put them on when I get up take them off when I go to sleep - ALWAYS know where they are, on my nose 😂

jocork Sun 05-Feb-23 14:31:16

I have prescription glasses and wear them all the time as they are varifocal. The last time I had new ones I chose some rather different from my usual style and was never quite sure if they suited me. Then one day while sitting at traffic lights I gave them a quick wipe and one lens fell out! I had to go back to wearing my old pair until the optician fixed them and I decided the old ones not only suited me better but I could see better with them too! I think the positioning of the varifocal lens must be better on the old pair even though the prescription was the same. At least I'm not in danger of leaving them anywhere as I wouldn't make it home without them.

JaneJudge Sun 05-Feb-23 14:27:23

they weren't pink grin but they are more feminine and he hasn't touched them, the cheeky bugger!

HiPpyChick57 Sun 05-Feb-23 14:16:19

JaneJudge

this is funny grin

my work colleague has been wearing my glasses (they are just ones from wilko) and I asked him repeatedly not to use them and suggested he buy his own but he just carried on wearing them, so I had to buy some more!

I hope you bought pink ones 🤣

ElaineRI55 Sun 05-Feb-23 14:11:33

Years ago my late mum was on the committee if her bowling club and someone approached her after an event to say her coat wasn't in the cloakroom but a similar one was there. Trying to be helpful, my mum did a bit of detective work and tracked down the coat and arranged for them to swap back. The lady who had made off (accidentally it was presumed) with the wrong coat was most upset with my mum as the coat she'd taken by mistake was far superior.

Glasgo Sun 05-Feb-23 12:55:20

While at a yoga class where we were doing some powerful stretches, the yoga teacher remarked we would go home a couple of inches taller. At the end we were getting dressed the woman next to me exclaimed ‘look it worked’! Her black trousers were indeed 2 inches too short. Then a voice said ‘I think you are wearing my trousers’. Both had the same pair of M&S trousers in different lengths!

Livey Sun 05-Feb-23 12:45:32

I'll take any pair - lens just fallen out of mine !

grandtanteJE65 Sun 05-Feb-23 12:07:22

I wouldn't trouble about it, if they are a cheap pair from any shop but if they are obviously bought at an optician's I would try to find the original owner, and ask everyone else who uses reading glasses to check whether they had mine.

I think at the next WI meeting, I would say, "Mrs Y gave me a pen I had forgotten at a meeting and my reading glasses. When I got home DH asked me when I had changed my specs, so is anyone wearing mine and as happy as I am with this pair, or is someone desperately looking for her reading glasses?"

Sueki44 Sun 05-Feb-23 12:00:45

Were they just bought for reading rather than prescribed? My husband wears those and loses them so frequently that I’m dreading him needing prescribed ones! As it is he has a pair by the loo, by his chair,bed and computer!

Harris27 Sun 05-Feb-23 11:56:09

Laughed out loud at this thread! It’s usually the children in my room wearing my glasses!