Gransnet forums

Chat

Relative values, becoming very introspective.

(66 Posts)
annsixty Sat 04-Feb-23 21:30:26

I am 85 and I am sure that my musings will ring a bell with some, if not many of you.
On Wednesday I went out with a friend to celebrate her birthday (81).
This evening I have been out for a meal with my GD, she is having elective surgery on Wednesday and I thought it would be a treat for her and to take her mind off it for a few hours.

The two evenings, for two people each evening cost just less than the deposit on our first home in 1961.
We had saved so hard for that, sacrificing so much to do it.
Who would ever have thought then, that in the future we would have been gaily paying such a sum for eating out.
It has certainly made me think but it is the nature of progress I suppose.

faye17 Thu 09-Feb-23 14:54:56

Caliatemon21

faye17

Gabrielle56
Got it! It seems an ok salary to start with, I bet it soon becomes unrealistic once they start loading up the responsibility without upping the pay though?

Par for the course in the nursing profession Gabrielle and unfortunately continues today.
Of course there are other rewards - they just don't pay the bills

No student loans to pay back in those days either

In my case we worked our first three months for no salary to pay for our time in the classroom over our three-year training so while we had no official student loans most of us young student nurse's had to borrow just to live for those three months.

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Feb-23 14:33:38

faye17

Gabrielle56
Got it! It seems an ok salary to start with, I bet it soon becomes unrealistic once they start loading up the responsibility without upping the pay though?

Par for the course in the nursing profession Gabrielle and unfortunately continues today.

No student loans to pay back in those days either.

faye17 Thu 09-Feb-23 14:31:43

Gabrielle56

faye17 Thu 09-Feb-23 14:24:45

Witzend

Around here, anyway, the rent young people have to shell out for a flat, is often more than the monthly mortgage payment would be. The problem is saving the deposit - and with a nothing at all special 2 bed flat going for £500k or more around here (and I’m not talking anything like ‘prime’ areas) it’s a substantial amount to have to save when so much is going in rent.

It's a crippling situation for even the hardest working/ well qualified furst-time home buyers

Gabrielle56 Thu 09-Feb-23 14:02:40

faye17 Thu 09-Feb-23 11:16:31

Gabrielle
Student nurse salaries vary from place to place and some may well start on £21k a year.
I was a third year student nurse when buying our first home and so was on the equivalent of £24k net.
My salary in 1978 of £137 per month was often exceeded because of mandatory overtime & night duty which again to my knowledge would still be true today.

Callistemon21 Thu 09-Feb-23 10:54:45

If it was £180 per month net after tax and NI then that was a relatively high salary for 1962, especially for the Civil Service which was renowned for low salaries. He would also have been part of a non-contributory pension scheme, probably paying just 1.5% for a widow's pension.
Women got their pension contributions refunded on marriage in the form of 'a gratuity' which was really a scam.

Gabrielle56 Thu 09-Feb-23 10:52:19

1 X fillet steak= £8?
1 X big mushroom= 4p
1 X stem baby toms= 40p
8 X big fat chips= 6p and that's being daftly generous
Fuel to cook? About 10p
Staff costs rents maintenance? The balance left.....worth driving out parking sitting at table eating in public, driving Ng home and finally being able to kick off shoes and undo trousers!!!! Nah! Rather DIY!!
And a really good fish and chips cooked to perfection? Priceless!! Yum!

Gabrielle56 Thu 09-Feb-23 10:46:15

faye17

We bought our first home in 1978 paying a deposit of ten percent. The monthly mortgage payment over a term of 25 years was £137 which was my monthly net salary exactly as a student nurse at that time.
To buy a similar house here now over the same number of years with a 10% deposit paid would require a £2400monthly mortgage payment .
To my knowledge that is approximately a student nurse's net monthly salary too.
So when young people say you got your house for pennies I have to beg to differ.
I do feel for young people trying to buy a home but I also think young people expect a lot more a lot sooner than we did.

Student nurse GROSS salary=£21k work out how you get NET salary as £2400?

Gabrielle56 Thu 09-Feb-23 10:32:48

I remember finding a wages/salary slip or my dad's in about 1962? It was £180 for the month! He was a civil servant so a pretty stable 'good' job. But, and it's a big but with a chicken at about 7/6 a treat for Sunday, ingetvfed up of younger gens moaning that we "had it easy" and "took the best out of the country,leaving us with nothing" whatever we've now got- Pensions etc we damned well paid through the nose for and did without almost everything!! Maybe if younger lot started to stop buying rubbish they don't need with money they don't have? They too could make something of themselves and I'm not berating those who try very hard with a poor start in life, maybe those for whom that holiday and latest gadget is a must! All those 17-30 year olds driving around in leased brand new cars...........

melp1 Wed 08-Feb-23 15:02:15

We moved 18months ago, estate agent purple bricks £1,000 if paid up front,Solicitors £2,000 & 2 removal lorries £1,500. I live in East Midlands. Fortunately we avoided stamp duty which is now back.

The price of housing is so expensive now compared to earnings for young people. Many of us managed with second hand furniture and had to save for expensive electrical appliances.

Gabrielle56 Wed 08-Feb-23 10:42:00

My town! Complete with station shops commercial units and garage! .......I wish!

Gabrielle56 Wed 08-Feb-23 10:37:55

Around 8% of UK land is built on!! Lots of spaces are non runners but it's not as much as the nimby army imagine.....had nimbyism been live and kicking in middle ages we'd have ZERO quaint little villages or towns or roads or churches in country settings, no country mansions etc etc. The thing we need to mimic is the way that a whole community was created not just a few badly built trashy "executive 4&5beds" with a dismal parade of booze n news shops to service! Are we incapable of creating a traditional high street any more?

Witzend Wed 08-Feb-23 10:37:17

Around here, anyway, the rent young people have to shell out for a flat, is often more than the monthly mortgage payment would be. The problem is saving the deposit - and with a nothing at all special 2 bed flat going for £500k or more around here (and I’m not talking anything like ‘prime’ areas) it’s a substantial amount to have to save when so much is going in rent.

Gabrielle56 Wed 08-Feb-23 10:29:46

Gabrielle56

1976 Bury Manchester outskirts. Newbuild flat £5500 0%deposit borrowed from the builder at extortionate rate!! 3 years on 1979 sold for £8250 bought house in Chorley £14995 to avoid stamp duty paid £5 for 'built in wardrobes ' ....was a plank over bulkhead🤣 our seller a solicitor who managed to avoid all agents fees by taking off market then selling to us privately all above board but clever! Sold for£198k in 1999 . Current home large 3king beds detached still Chorley bought 1999 84k today? 300k ish.....crazy world wish I could go back to 176 knowing what I know now!!

10% deposit!!!!
Editing tool please!!!

Gabrielle56 Wed 08-Feb-23 10:28:48

1976 Bury Manchester outskirts. Newbuild flat £5500 0%deposit borrowed from the builder at extortionate rate!! 3 years on 1979 sold for £8250 bought house in Chorley £14995 to avoid stamp duty paid £5 for 'built in wardrobes ' ....was a plank over bulkhead🤣 our seller a solicitor who managed to avoid all agents fees by taking off market then selling to us privately all above board but clever! Sold for£198k in 1999 . Current home large 3king beds detached still Chorley bought 1999 84k today? 300k ish.....crazy world wish I could go back to 176 knowing what I know now!!

Humbertbear Wed 08-Feb-23 09:04:03

We bought our house over 50 years ago when my DH was 2 years out of uni! Last year we had our lounge suite reupholstered and that cost more than our house, as did the patio we had laid 15 years ago.

faye17 Tue 07-Feb-23 21:03:24

We bought our first home in 1978 paying a deposit of ten percent. The monthly mortgage payment over a term of 25 years was £137 which was my monthly net salary exactly as a student nurse at that time.
To buy a similar house here now over the same number of years with a 10% deposit paid would require a £2400monthly mortgage payment .
To my knowledge that is approximately a student nurse's net monthly salary too.
So when young people say you got your house for pennies I have to beg to differ.
I do feel for young people trying to buy a home but I also think young people expect a lot more a lot sooner than we did.

Eloethan Tue 07-Feb-23 20:55:37

Despite the low wages, I think times were much easier for young people in the 70's.

My husband was a student nurse and we had a baby so I stayed at home for about 2 years - and even after that only worked part time. Admittedly our hospital house rent was subsidised (and I don't think nurses - student or otherwise - get subsidised accommodation any more, more's the pity). However, we still had the normal outgoings, and, although we had very little spare money for anything but the essentials, we had a warm home and good food.

I think people on low pay these days have a really dreadful time - sometimes even with both parents working. I don't know how they go on, day after day, with not even enough money to feed themselves - and no better future in sight.

I think we were very lucky.

4allweknow Tue 07-Feb-23 16:59:59

Most 20 year olds can't afford a deposit these days as you did annesixty. In 1971 first house we bought was a 3 bed terrace wreck in central London. Deposit was £600. DH wage was £11 a week. I didn't work due to having DD. No childcare then. Sold 2 years later for double the price we paid. From then on house prices at least in the south seemed to be on the upward spiral. Nothing new. Could just about get my utility room fitted now for what that first house cost.

Rosina Tue 07-Feb-23 16:52:46

We lived in London and paid just under five thousand for our first house. We couldn't afford to buy it now!

queenofsaanich69 Tue 07-Feb-23 16:21:39

I found a postage stamp the other day that said one farthing on it,that boggles the mind——I still have a couple of farthings,really sweet little coins.

Bijou Tue 07-Feb-23 15:53:47

My father bought a new three bedroom house in 1923 when I was just born in south London for £100. That house is now on Rightmove for ££630. 000!
In the 1930s Dad was earning £14 week. We were well off having a motorcar and sister and I went to private schools.
In 1946 my husband and I had just been demobbed and because of lack of houses owing to the air raids could only find an attic room. I was earning as secretary £6 a week and husband £5. 1s 6p. Then a top floor flat 15s a week.
We managed to buy a house ten years later for £2000 which sold in 1965 for £6000 to buy a bungalow in Hampshire for £5500. In 1978 we got £32000 for that and paid £9000 for one in Norfolk now worth £140,000
Prices will always escalate.

Witzend Tue 07-Feb-23 14:48:44

About 6 years ago my dd2 bought a 3 bed ex council house - a probate sale - in what is now a pretty expensive area of the SE. Dh had a good old nose on the Land Reg and found that she’d paid almost exactly 100 times what the previous owners had paid - £3100 IIRC - when they bought it from the council in 1971.

Which was well before Thatcher, so sales were evidently going on for some years before she was PM.

Tusue Tue 07-Feb-23 13:20:36

I remember my mum worrying because the mortgage on our then family home had gone up to £10 a month ,she said “how will we ever manage ?” .That house cost them £4k in 1964 my grandma thought my parents were mad to take on such high debt !!.