Gransnet forums

Chat

Tea Stains

(22 Posts)
HeavenLeigh Sun 05-Feb-23 09:59:35

Is it just me or do others find that porcelain cups stain quite quickly, I’m forever trying to get the tea stains out with my magic eraser far more than when I used China cups.

aggie Sun 05-Feb-23 10:03:42

I bung them in the dish washer

ParlorGames Sun 05-Feb-23 10:04:10

We have both types of mugs and they all get stained, as do the teaspoons. I use the fluid for sterilising baby bottles - gets them all sparkling clean and the water is then used for cleaning the sink and draining board and the drain when tipped away......simple.

MayBee70 Sun 05-Feb-23 10:07:34

I use dishwash soap to clean mine. Or sometimes salt. I find the dishwasher doesn’t remove stains. My house is a total tip even though I’m constantly trying to get on top of things but my mugs are spotless.

Grandmabatty Sun 05-Feb-23 10:21:16

I was going to suggest salt. I dampen the mug/cup and rub salt on the stains. It works well

pascal30 Sun 05-Feb-23 14:01:58

It's not surprising as tea has long been used as a dye. I give my china mugs an overnight soak by filling with a little bleach and water

sharon103 Sun 05-Feb-23 14:07:19

I was going to say salt and a damp cloth. It works on teaspoons too.

Aldom Sun 05-Feb-23 14:12:35

Rinse aid is something else that works well for removing tea /coffee stains. A few drops in the cup, then rub around with a sponge pad, rinse. smile

AGAA4 Sun 05-Feb-23 14:36:35

I use bicarbonate of soda to clean my cups and mugs.

Gin Sun 05-Feb-23 14:40:12

If you use abrasive cleaners or strong chemicals the glaze can be damaged and then cups/mugs stain very easily.

tanith Sun 05-Feb-23 14:42:44

Mine go in the dishwasher which gets the stains out as long as i don't use cheap tablets which always leave stains.

FlexibleFriend Sun 05-Feb-23 14:58:02

All my mugs are porcelain and no they don't have any stains. They've always been washed in the dishwasher with fairy platinum dishwasher tabs.

YorkLady Sun 05-Feb-23 15:02:00

I have this problem but I only drink black tea. Dishwasher doesn’t remove the stains and I hate using bleach. Will try some of the advice on here. Thanks.

Theexwife Sun 05-Feb-23 15:32:54

After boiling the kettle if it is left for about 30 seconds before pouring it onto the tea bag it causes less staining, something to do with the tannin.

If you put the milk in first it doesn’t cause staining but doesn’t make a very good cup of tea.

I have always used bleach to clean the cups, not sure that it is advised but it hasn’t done me any harm.

LadyGracie Sun 05-Feb-23 15:47:47

My cups all go in the dishwasher, I drink black builders tea, mine aren't stained.

ParlorGames Sun 05-Feb-23 15:54:46

Gin

If you use abrasive cleaners or strong chemicals the glaze can be damaged and then cups/mugs stain very easily.

Very true Gin; hence I use baby bottle cleaning fluid. Love the user name by the way smile

Callistemon21 Sun 05-Feb-23 15:55:32

MayBee70

I use dishwash soap to clean mine. Or sometimes salt. I find the dishwasher doesn’t remove stains. My house is a total tip even though I’m constantly trying to get on top of things but my mugs are spotless.

😂

I found an old teapot when I was attempting to clear out today, one of those infuser pots for loose leaf tea.

It was really stained and I was 😲 that it got put away and forgotten like that so I put the strainer in a solution of bleach before it went in the box for the charity shop.
It looks lovely now and I want to keep it 🙂

Mugs go in the dishwasher.

Callistemon21 Sun 05-Feb-23 15:56:32

Actually, the mugs that do stay stained are the more expensive bone china ones.

Romola Sun 05-Feb-23 16:03:39

I thought porcelain and china are the same thing.
Bicarb is the thing for china if you don't want to put it in the machine.

HeavenLeigh Sun 05-Feb-23 18:36:36

I have just used babies sterilising fluid brilliant! I’m now a happy bunny thanks gransnet

Hellogirl1 Sun 05-Feb-23 23:19:45

My grandma swore by soil from the garden, rubbed around the inside of the cup.

JackyB Mon 06-Feb-23 09:26:17

I have always soaked the teapot in hot water and soda crystals when it's really badly stained. It comes out like magic. This would work for cups, too.

I don't have any porcelain but I put the milk in first anyway, so don't get tea stains in the cups. I hate the look and the taste of tea when the milk is added afterwards. It just tastes of water.