Gransnet forums

Chat

Cold at night, any recommendations?

(151 Posts)
DaisyMac Wed 08-Feb-23 00:20:28

I heard on the news today that there is no prospect of energy bills coming down in the foreseeable future and I'm getting scared: if I don't have the heating on at night, I can not sleep through; I wake between 2 and 4am. I've tried everything - two or three duvets, hot water bottles, thermal vests, leggings and hats - and nothing works. Is there anyone out there who is as 'nesh' as me and do you have any suggestions? Maybe I just need to emigrate!

(nesh: "weak and delicate, in particular in being susceptible to the cold").

Stillstanding Fri 10-Feb-23 17:27:14

I really do not like fleecey stuff at all. I sleep in silk thermal underwear. Yes it is a bit pricey but it lasts for years and dries in a few hours on a clothes horse as it cannot go in the dryer so that saves money. I sleep on a pure wool under blanket with poly cotton sheet and duvet cover. The duvet is wool (summer weight) with a thin old synthetic filled bedspread over the top on icy nights.

Worth a try of you dont like fleece or heavy weights.

Larsonsmum Fri 10-Feb-23 17:16:59

Electric blanket and always bed socks.

fluttERBY123 Fri 10-Feb-23 16:53:31

Cashmere bedsocks.

Juicylucy Fri 10-Feb-23 16:44:56

The only plus side of menopause, I sleep naked with normal size duvet that gets kicked off during the night.

PinkCosmos Fri 10-Feb-23 16:44:29

I can't sleep if the room is too cold, whether or not I am warm in bed. I also don't think it is healthy to be breathing in very cold air.

Have you tried to improve the room thermally.

I have just bought a thermal blind for our bedroom. We also have thick lined curtains.

I am considering buying thermal paper or insulating paint as well as we have two outside walls which are cold to touch.

Would be interested to know if anyone has used them

www.amazon.co.uk/Thermilate-InsOpaint-Anti-Condensation-Paint-Brilliant/dp/B00O8TJQ54/ref=sxin_15_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?psc=1&crid=2XF5TKHKESAYW&keywords=thermal+wallpaper+insulation&sprefix=thermal+wall%2Caps%2C112&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9zZWFyY2hfdGhlbWF0aWM&pd_rd_i=B00O8TJQ54&content-id=amzn1.sym.80aa8a4e-635c-4e2e-9a5d-c32f494cb6d7%3Aamzn1.sym.80aa8a4e-635c-4e2e-9a5d-c32f494cb6d7&qid=1676047213&cv_ct_cx=thermal+wallpaper+insulation&pf_rd_p=80aa8a4e-635c-4e2e-9a5d-c32f494cb6d7&pd_rd_wg=AvXt1&pf_rd_r=X36CF9JPDE3V5QFEEK0F&pd_rd_w=cdGEL&tag=gransnetforum-21&pd_rd_r=6062ec8c-6ffe-4788-943b-668187ef11bf&sr=1-1-ad3222ed-9545-4dc8-8dd8-6b2cb5278509-spons

or

www.amazon.co.uk/Wallrock-Thermal-Liner-10m-75cm/dp/B00OHOQNWY/ref=sr_1_2?crid=8ZBVBOLFVZCQ&keywords=wallrock+thermal+liner+wallpaper+kv600&sprefix=thermal+wallpaper+wallrock%2Caps%2C96&tag=gransnetforum-21&qid=1676047335&sr=8-2

janipans Fri 10-Feb-23 16:43:25

I am lovely and warm in bed with just either a silk duvet or goose down one and a throw, but my nose and face (and any other bits that get out of the covers (shoulders sometimes) get so cold I still wake up! I don't think an electric blanket/cover would help!
I am wondering if one of those little electric small space heaters next to my bed might help rather than heating the whole house. Anyone tried this?

Madwoman11 Fri 10-Feb-23 16:42:37

I have an electric Slumberland underblanket which has a sheepskin effect. Very cheap to run. I use it for 10 minutes when I get into bed, and again if I'm cold during the night.

silverlining48 Fri 10-Feb-23 16:38:00

My electric blanket is like a fitted sheet which goes under the mattress. It’s cotton and has dual controls so if two people are in the bed each can decide on their own level of heat,
If I am cold in the night I pop it on and after a few minutes it’s toasty warm again. It switches off itself.
I don’t have any heating on at night even if it’s winter.

Greciangirl Fri 10-Feb-23 16:31:25

You are cold because your house is unheated, DaisyMac.

If you go to bed cold, you will probably stay cold.

Do you have any form of heating at all.
Maybe a small electric radiator left on all night on a low setting might help.
Personally, I couldn’t live in a cold house.

Dempie55 Fri 10-Feb-23 16:29:13

I sleep in the spare room, it's cosier. I don't have an electric blanket, one of ours went on fire once, and I vowed never to have one again. I don't like synthetic fibres, so have all cotton bedding and proper wyncyette PJs. I find polyester fleece gives no warmth. I have also treated myself this winter to an ALL WOOL duvet. Got it off Amazon, it is alpaca wool, made in Poland, and is SO toasty warm and it sort of shapes itself around your body, it is heavenly. (Pricey, but an investment!)

A friend of mine smothers herself in Deep Heat before bedtime to keep warm!!

oodles Fri 10-Feb-23 16:04:26

Lots of good ideas here, the electric blanket I have on my spare bed can be used all night and the bottom it is actually slightly warmer than the rest, cold feet can often make it hard to sleep. Bedsicks good too and fleecy nightwear. In days of yore people wore night caps might a revival be something to consider, or what about a hooded fleece
I've used the pet microwave bedwarmer, seen snugglesafe and bunty brand. They do stay warm a long time, and I was so impressed I bought my daughter some for her dogs.
I keep the electric blanket control handy and if I need a boost of heat at night I use that. I have a nest thermostat for my heating and if I woke up early I've set it to come on from the comfort of my bed so I'm not getting out of bed and getting cold
And fleecy sheets and duvet covers are cozy.
I had a winter without heat for various reasons and needed everything I could find
Slightly less orhodox, a pair of dachshunds in bed with you, lovely and warm, and short of leg so they are close to you whatever way they face you. 2 happy dogs too, they love sleeping under duvets

Connor13 Fri 10-Feb-23 15:26:07

Weighted blanket or corn bag

effalump Fri 10-Feb-23 15:25:29

Best to ditch to duvets and go back to sheets/fleeces. I find that duvets let air in if you move a lot during sleep. Also, wear a pair of bedsocks, not necessarily thick ones. I find my feet get too hot and that will wake me. I generally have three wheat-bags (one for feet and one down each side of body) but these do cool down quick. Finally, I always take a magnesium bis-glycinate tablet before bed and I have recent started taking 5 drops of ashwagandha tincture in water. Since doing this I have stopped waking up around 3am. One extra thing, don't go to bed worrying about something. Imagin what you would do if you had plenty of money that would leave you worry-free and go to sleep thimking about it.

Cheeseplantmad Fri 10-Feb-23 15:09:56

I just use cosy fleece bedding with small electric heat pad over my thighs , that’s plenty warm enough for me , don’t think I could sleep with lots clothes on to keep warm .
I would certainly recommend a heated throw , my friend always swears by that , she says it’s the best thing she’s bought this winter , also they are so cheap to run .

suelld Fri 10-Feb-23 15:05:04

Offset not feet!!!

suelld Fri 10-Feb-23 15:03:25

I too need the warmth - the major issue being I can get the rest of me warm under the bedclothes but my nose remains frozen!
I wake up in the cold often and if I can’t get to sleep I put the large fan (convection) heater on in the room for a while, don a balaclava and fingerless gloves and read… Turn off the heater when it gets too stuffy.
I hate PJs ( have had a lot of UTIs in the past and PJs aren’t good for that) - so I wear a full length warm (brushed cotton or similar) nightdress AND a full length lighter ‘OODIE-type ‘ fleece garment over it with a hood - can be bought via Amazon and other places - rather like a fleece bed-jacket but full length - ever since I’ve been wearing this as well I’ve been very warm in bed - I don’t like wearing thick socks in bed either as I wear them all day and that’s not good for the feet, But once my body warms up my feet do too.
Good Luck with working out what might work for you.
Electricity is cheaper than gas = so the fan heater is a lot cheaper, and can be used in ‘bursts’
Tho the last 2 days I’ve woken up cosy, but to such very cold weather I’ve had to put the CH on early…. Not panicking too much as warmer weather will arrive and feet the awful bills we have now … I hope!

Paperbackwriter Fri 10-Feb-23 14:27:51

grandMattie

A warm man? 🤣🤣🤣

*Other genders are also available!

grandtanteJE65 Fri 10-Feb-23 13:49:03

We too are forced to keep heating on in all of the house. If we didn't we would both be crippled with rheumatismn and back-ache. And neither of us can sleep in a cold room.

IMO the whole bed needs to be well-warmed before you get into it, so either you need an electric blanket on for half-an-hour before bedtime or so many hotties that there are no cold parts of the bed.

Our heating bills are much lower than yours in the UK, or even many people around here, but even at that the rising prices are a consideration.

In your place, I would sit down and consider very seriously my entire household budget in the hope that there might be other things than heating, you could save on.

We have done the following:
cancelled magazine subscriptions
restrict our use of our telephones as much as possible
only have one lights burning in the room we are in.
use only LED bulbs
wash clothes once a fortnight instead of weekly
only use the dryer for drying bed-linen and denims
fill the oven when we bake or roast anything with dinner dishes for two or three days
drink less coffee
heat water in an old kettle on the top of the wood-burner and cook things like rice, soup etc there, after, bring things that need it (soup with meat stock and the like) to the boil on the hob

I have also hung heavy curtains in front of the outer doors and the door from the cold wash-kitchen to the rest of the house.

You may, of course, already have done all this, but I hope there may be one or two suggestions that are helpful.

I don't think you should worry about "spending your children's inheritance". I am sure they would all rather know that you are using the money sensibly to stay warm and eat nourishing food that starving yourselves and freezing.

Doubtless they would all rather that you live as long as possibe in good health than die of hypothemia, leaving them pots of money!

TiggyW Fri 10-Feb-23 13:39:30

Definitely fleece bedding and socks. 😎

Gundy Fri 10-Feb-23 13:38:28

* Flannel (or fleece) sheets
* Socks
* PJ Pants! (To keep your legs warm)
* Heating Pad (laid across your thighs to get all your blood warmed up)
* Keep your neck warm (you won’t need a hat)

Eva3 Fri 10-Feb-23 13:23:39

In the really cold spell we placed a fleece blanket under our duvet - magic! So utterly cosy.

Bluemini62 Fri 10-Feb-23 13:22:15

I wear a long sleeved thermal vest under pj top .bedsocks , heated electric pad on timer and fleece duvet cover from Dunelm with homemade crocheted blanket on top . I even wear gloves sometimes !

Nellietheelephant Fri 10-Feb-23 13:13:35

I haven't tried it, but this might work too? Always happy to promote my local shop, but others might be cheaper?

www.coopersofstortford.co.uk/heat-reflective-bed-sheet-underlay/?SKU=K938_SI&src=gbase&vsrc=igb9b2&gclid=CjwKCAiA85efBhBbEiwAD7oLQHEr66NMLEQXBZMqtXgNi9MFOOik4_8LH4J1zTt0bh2IwINzKJJQxBoClVgQAvD_BwE

Nellietheelephant Fri 10-Feb-23 13:07:19

I wear a woolly scarf which just covers the gap between pillow and top covers. Try it - works for me!

Trisher123 Fri 10-Feb-23 12:58:45

My daughter bought me a fleece duvet for my birthday, and I bought the same type fitted sheet. They are WONDERFUL. In fact I now have two of each so I can always use them in the winter/cold nights. Only thing is, I never want to get out of bed anyway, but it's even harder when you're so cosy and warm. smile