Gransnet forums

Chat

Soop's warm and welcoming kitchen for kindly folk...

(1001 Posts)
soop Tue 14-Mar-23 14:25:17

Here we are again
Happy as we can possibly be
ALL GOOD Friends
And jolly good company.

Welcome. smile flowers brew wine cupcake

Jaxjacky Fri 26-May-23 16:29:55

Afternoon from a sunny Hampshire, more watering later, no rain forecast for the foreseeable.
Love the fossil llfl the display is very appropriate. And your little sundew Blossoming nature is clever.
Sorted out a few more plants today and went for a walk, tonight is pub night, night actually means from about 5-7! Our days of a pub for the whole evening are long gone, apart from quiz on Monday’s.
Have a pleasant evening all.

soop Fri 26-May-23 15:56:57

Wow! There are many wonderful photos from you lovely lot together with many messages that I've still to catch up with.

My sister received her painting this morning...posted at lunchtime yesterday. I am impressed. She is a very happy bunny. All that despair has reaped rewards. grin

I'm to have bloods taken on Monday. Something is amiss. I am shattered. I have no wish to moan and groan in our kitchen. Far too many of our special Kitcheners have their own health issues to manage.

I am not going far. Just need to sit down and enjoy a refreshing brew.

Twenty five further visitations, after which, we all move into yet another kitchen.

Relax, dear pals. I shall join you all again tomorrow. smile moon

Nannytopsy Fri 26-May-23 15:11:59

Well, its quiet in here today. I guess that everyone is out enjoying the weather. DD is working in the dining room, SiL and DGS are having a nap and DH has taken his ulcers to the nurse, so I will just sit here quietly with a cup of tea and a chocolate biscuit. There are plenty on the side.

Nannytopsy Thu 25-May-23 23:09:10

SueD they say washing up liquid solution is good for aphids. Our aphids are farmed by ants so I need to shift them too. LLFL I love your ammonite.
I am well used to varifocals, so I’m really disappointed with these problems. They made the mistake of sending a customer service email this afternoon 🤣. I didn’t hold back !

SueDonim Thu 25-May-23 22:01:06

Summer has arrived at last! It’s been a lovely day today, the first properly warm day. I got three lots of laundry out on the line and my newly-washed coat has been retired to a cupboard until next winter.

My dd2 has arrived back from visiting her brother in the States. She’s off to bed early to sleep off the let lag. Ds2 is arriving on Saturday with the family so beds have been made up and a new airbed purchased to replace the one that disappeared when we moved. As I was sorting out bedlinen for the new airbed, wouldn’t you know it, I found the old one! 😂. This one is much nicer, though, more like a proper bed.

We’ve been generally busy with the local GC, I’ve now got an electrician for the work that needs doing in the house (though he’s ignoring my messages 👀) . We’ve also little odds and ends to do, Dh getting his ears suctioned, me getting my feet seen to and so on. Also our fitness training sessions.

I’ve had my book group today which was fun and I’ve a friend coming from afar to see me tomorrow. Then ds2 etc on Saturday. Oh and Dh and I are babysitting the local GC all day in their home on Saturday so tips on how to clone myself to be in two places at once would be gratefully received.

Varifocals. I’ve had an issue with mine, which I got during lockdown. Basically, I can’t see properly to distance-read, they’re just not right. Dh has had his eyes tested recently so I need to go and get mine done now.

Soop, what a dear little doggy! You’re so clever. ⭐️

Annsixty that was a close shave with the cleaner.

I love the ammonite, LLFL. I have a small one given to me by my late mil, but I can’t find it. 😒 I guess it will turn up one day.

That wisteria is gorgeous, Brook.

On the topic of plants, my new roses have greenfly. What’s the best way to get rid of them? I pinch them off with my fingers when I see them but I wondered if there’s something else I should do to eradicate them.

That’s all for this evening. Thinking of you all, including Urms. Xxx

gillgran Thu 25-May-23 19:36:53

That's a great portrait, soop, the lovely dog is looking right at me!

Very pretty wisteria, brook, it must like it's chosen spot outside your house.
I was delighted to spot the first rhododendrons last weekend as we drove near Sandringham, on our way to & from our Norfolk weekend.

I know how you feel, Nannytopsy, about your varifocals. Despite have them for years, this last pair I've had nearly a month & still struggling. I think my problem is that I had cataract op., on both eyes 5 & 6 weeks before last eye test, & new prescription, so huge difference in my sight almost instantly. (I'm still recovering from the cost, too!!)

I agree with you & others that you must have had someone looking over you, annsixty, regarding your no-show-cleaner.

Warm thoughts to you all.

Blossoming Thu 25-May-23 19:12:43

Lovely pet portraits soop

We have tadpoles Brook and have also found this beautiful sundew. This is pretty much a frost free area thanks to the Gulf Stream. We emptied the pond and cleaned it all out so weren’t sure what had survived. Mr. B did all the work, I provided mugs of tea grin

Blossoming Thu 25-May-23 19:05:23

Lovely ammonite LadyLFL, I love things like that. You’ve just reminded me the new oven is arriving tomorrow, must make sure the kitchen is clean and reasonably tidy. Mr. B is following me round the house stopping me from doing anything that might irritate my gut.

hulahoop Thu 25-May-23 18:53:16

Lovely pictures Soop I would love to be able to draw,paint can't do either . We have had sky stream installed today we are struggling to get subtitles on any ideas welcome . The fossil is lovely llfl a very unusual present.Think I will treat myself to an ice cream done now.

brook2704 Thu 25-May-23 18:08:27

That’s a beautiful fossil Llfl what a lovely birthday gift from your brother

Ladyleftfieldlover Thu 25-May-23 17:53:56

Hello everyone. What a beautiful painting Soop! You are so talented, The oven valet guy was here at 8.45 am. He is very good and the oven now sparkles. I popped into Waitrose and collected a wooden stand to display the amazing fossil my brother gave me for my birthday (see picture) and a dress reduced from £70 to £19. It’s a bit long so I might have to contact the seamstress I have used before. Our local book group was fun. We have lunch too. I fed my neighbour’s fish and watered the garden for the last time. Their house is a bit bigger than ours and I’m afraid I keep thinking of ways we could make it ours! I was supposed to be seeing friends tonight but one of them has pulled a muscle in her back so we will stay home. Have a good evening. It is OH’s turn to cook so he is doing fish and chips.

brook2704 Thu 25-May-23 16:50:21

That’s so annoying nannytopsy I hope you can get your glasses sorted out without too much more hassle. Enjoy the special family time over the next few days
It’s a gorgeous warm sunny day here, I’ve had such a good day in the garden but I’m whacked now so coming in for a rest. DH has gone to take DGS to his football practice so I’ve made a cuppa end enjoyed a little treat of a Lindt Double Chocolate Lindor - Mmmmm delicious
I like the yellow flowers Blossoming, we’ve got a little pond too but there’s not much happening yet. We have got lots of flowers on a little wisteria though that we’ve been trying to grow for ages at the front of the house. I think sometimes the winters are a bit too cold here but it’s sheltered behind another big shrub now so it seems quite happy
You’re so right GG13 no point in doing much gardening if you’re having to have major work done, I’d just be planning for next year instead
Gorgeous portraits soop I love the little doggy face, so cute!
Hope the school pick up has gone well corner 😀

GrannyGravy13 Thu 25-May-23 16:13:28

Wow annsixty you really had a lucky escape.

In an effort to be super organised before our house renovations/repairs I have started sorting out todays task was the under stairs shoe cupboard, I disposed of two pairs and I am far too embarrassed to admit to the number of boots, shoes and sandals I possess.

This time of year would normally find me pottering in the garden, due to the fact it will be a building site within the next couple of months I cannot see the point in spending money on annuals for my pots and planters, it’s going to be an odd summer that’s for sure.

Lovely pet portrait soop

I will now try and catch up on all the kitchen news 🙋‍♀️

soop Thu 25-May-23 16:04:35

A sunny and warm afternoon greeting to you lovely lot.

The deed has been done! Late yesterday I took the following images of the almost finished paintings. They were attached to mounts with sellotape. I continued to adjust some areas that I wasn't happy with and, by bedtime, they were ready for proper mounting and framing, which we did early this morning. Securely wrapped and now in the post. The larger painting is in a 12"x 8" frame. The smaller is one of the many "rejects".

Am I relieved? Yep! So, what next? There is a dusty home to deal with. Laundry waiting to be sorted. After which, I owe it to our Kitcheners to catch up with your happenings.
Thank you for your understanding.

Blossoming Thu 25-May-23 15:09:47

Hello all! I had a much better night thank you and no nausea or heartburn so far today. Nannytopsy I too have struggled with varifocals. My current ones are much better but so expensive and I’m still not convinced that they’re the best solution for me due to retinopathy. Good luck with yours.

It’s a lovely sunny day here, we have some beautiful yellow flag by the pond.

Nannytopsy Thu 25-May-23 13:04:59

Well, I’ve collected my new glasses but the varifocals on both pairs are completely wrong. They were insistent that I must wear them to get used to them before taking them back. I can’t even go out of the kitchen step, let alone read in them. 🤬
It’s an hour’s round trip to the optician too!
Crafternoon tea this afternoon then DD and the little family arrive for a couple days. DH has been busy creating a beef Bourginon for tonight 😋.
Time to go. Have a good afternoon!

cornergran Wed 24-May-23 23:10:00

Morning All made me smile ladylfl, something I do all the time. I’ve been known to confuse folk when I’m out for a walk and blithely wish them a good morning at 4 in the afternoon.

Your cleaner narrow escape has made me edgy ann, we’re currently in search of someone to do the heavy stuff, like lug the cleaner round, ready for Mr C’s surgery. Someone coming next week for a look see, keep your fingers crossed for us. Pleased for you though, you were definitely being looked after.

Hope you have a better night blossoming, sleeplessness isn’t fun. Congratulations on the quiz jax. I’m in awe of your energy brook, no way could I do all that.

Guess I should settle for,sleep. We’re collecting the family typhoon from school tomorrow, it will be necessary to be both awake and energised. Sleep well everyone.

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 24-May-23 22:40:37

Not morning all! I’m in bed!

Ladyleftfieldlover Wed 24-May-23 22:39:05

Morning all. I’m so sorry that some of you have had a difficult day. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.
I still have my cold but it seems to be disappearing. Our cleaner came today and cleaned the house from top to bottom. After lunch OH and I drove to Oxford - it is a convoluted route until October as our main road into the city is closed. Nightmare. We moved some money around, popped into M&S and bought some toiletries and came home. OH drafted another Engage Consult message to his GP about his shoulder this time, while I watched television.As Scarlet O’Hara famously said, ‘tomorrow is another day’.

Grannmarie Wed 24-May-23 19:55:12

Thanks, Brook, I've been putting it off too, but now I'm on a deadline...I've started so I'll finish, I hope! When each son moved out,I gave them a memory box with lots of their photos...so I" ve had to ask DDIL 1 to return it temporarily u til I make the selections for the photobook. DH has a hard drive with digital photos all in named and dated folders...I'm not quite ready to start on that. This is going to be a real labour of love. 💙

Blossoming, I'm sorry youve not been sleeping well. Have you ever tried Bach Rescue Remedy night time spary? I find it quite helpful, i keep it on the bedside table and if I wake at an ungodly hour, I use it, seems to help.

Jaxjacky, well done on your Quiz, good for you! My sisters and I used to enjoy a quiz night, but we haven't been to one since pre pandemic, although we did some on zoom during lockdown, involving family in America and Dubai!

I've been doing some batch cooking, lentil soup with ham ribs, and savoury steak mince and veg, fill your bowls!
I'm now sitting in the garden after watering, we've had a couple of dry days but still cool, I've got a woolly cardigan on!

Enjoy your evening, ladies, NNGB

brook2704 Wed 24-May-23 19:08:43

Well done with the quiz last night Jax and hope you get back into the bowls again soon

Sorting out old photos is a job I keep putting off grannmarie it’s so time consuming and I’ve so many to get through … well done to you for tackling it!

brook2704 Wed 24-May-23 19:05:39

So sorry to hear you had a bad night Blossoming, hoping tonight is a lot better for you and you sleep well, take care 💐
I’ve also been at Aqua today neine, in fact I had a morning at the gym doing the dreaded circuits class , the dance fit and finally the Aqua. I then went across the road to Starbucks with my pal and we collapsed on the sofas there for most of the afternoon 🤣 It’s gorgeous and sunny here now so I’m hoping tomorrow will be the same so I can get outside and do some gardening
That was a really lucky escape annsixty so pleased that you didn’t become another one of her victims
Pleased things are now progressing well with the portrait soop 😀
Sounds like a good shopping day grandmabatty, won’t be long now until your holidays 😎

Jaxjacky Wed 24-May-23 19:03:21

Phew ann indeed you were lucky, sounds promising soop hope it continues well.
Drat Blossoming sorry to hear that, the unpredictability must be frustrating, fingers crossed for a better night later.
We came second in quiz on Monday, good, free entry next week, but teams were down with people on holiday.
Earlier today I collected my friend from his cataract op, ten weeks from diagnosis, not bad really.
Bowls yesterday, I’m rusty after eight months, MrJ plays indoors over the Winter, I didn’t take to it.
Watering done, dinner in the slow cooker, enjoy your evening.

Grannmarie Wed 24-May-23 18:15:02

Neine and Grandmabatty, Bon Marche has some nice 'haud me in' swimsuits, I wore two on holiday but I haven't stress tested them at Aquafit yet!🤣🤞

What a lucky escape, Annsixty, you have a Guardian Angel indeed.

Soop, glad to hear of your progress on the pet portrait, I knew you'd do it!

Nannytopsy and LLL, you've been busy bees, getting things done!

I have spent quite a bit of time gathering old photos from albums, memory boxes etc cos I'm trying to arrange a timeline to create a photobook for DS1'S upcoming 50th birthday. I haven't even started on the digital photos or their wedding album because my dining table has disappeared under the initial sorting into categories, birthdays, holidays, Christmas, school, etc etc..my house looks like it's been burgled!

TOYA

Blossoming Wed 24-May-23 15:34:14

Good afternoon dear Kitcheners. Brook I’m afraid I didn’t have a good night thanks to dreadful bouts of nausea so am not feeling up to much today. Mt. B has shopped and washed the car while I have half heartedly put newly washed towels away and sorted socks into pairs. It’s another lovely day so now I’m just sitting and enjoying the warm sunshine.

That was a lucky escape Ann, hope you find someone reliable soon. Glad the portrait’s going well Soop. That was a productive morning Grandmabatty, you’ll be well set up for your hols. My last swimsuit came from M&S Neine, it has a ruched middle to hide my donut baby, not too plunging and fairly low legs. I deliberately bought a size bigger to keep the FFs under control! I’m still using it, it’s about 10 years old and still going strong. I’ve noticed the quality doesn’t seem as good on their new ones. Have you looked at shorts swimsuits? Most places have them, a google search will find plenty.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion