Gransnet forums

Chat

Prevarication jobs. What is your go to excuse

(28 Posts)
Lizbethann55 Sat 18-Mar-23 14:42:32

Okay. I admit to being lazy. Today I have jobs I should be doing , but don't want to. So , to avoid the inevitable I decided to refill all the bird feeders. ( my new order of bird seed arrived this morning). Realised that some of them are a bit manky inside so have taken them down, emptied all the grotty bits out and given them a good wash. They are now upside down on the radiators drying at which point I will refill them and put them back outside. I could, of course , do my other jobs while they are drying but after such hard work I need a coffee and a sit down. And, of course, I absolutely must catch up with Gransnet.

Lizbethann55 Tue 21-Mar-23 18:12:48

Thank you Sasta. The birds were very appreciative. Xx

inishowen Tue 21-Mar-23 15:42:21

I need to hoover upstairs but I think the bag needs emptied. I don't know where the bags are and frankly can't be bothered today.

Sasta Tue 21-Mar-23 13:23:13

And a most worthy job that is too Lizbethann55!

grandtanteJE65 Tue 21-Mar-23 12:10:16

The weather! It is never good enough, warm enough, for me to work in the garden.

And there is always something that needs my attention indoors.

suelld Tue 21-Mar-23 11:55:37

Loopyloo - EXACTLY any mantra and I follow it rigidly - mind you when I do eventually HAVE to do something I get such a great feeling of achievement, even if it is only loading and setting off the dishwasher, etc, … After all once the dust has arrived, etc, it doesn’t look any worse if more turns up, it does get sorted if Visitors arrive, but it’s amazing how cunning the ‘tidying’ shortcuts can get! smile

mokryna Tue 21-Mar-23 11:21:05

sodapop

Anything to do with French bureaucracy, I tend to put it off until it's incomprehensible.

Dreading the tax forms that will be popping up soon, both French and UK’s.

Chocolatelovinggran Mon 20-Mar-23 13:07:06

MrsKen - genius! I shall adopt your excellent advice immediately. Thank you.

Callistemon21 Mon 20-Mar-23 12:48:25

biglouis

Mine is looking at my email.

I have a principle that if I dont enjoy it or it doesnt bring in money then its not worth doing.

You're not retired, then, yet!!

😂😂😂

HousePlantQueen Sun 19-Mar-23 13:11:53

It became obvious to me during lockdown that all the jobs I had put off due to lack of time were in fact not being done because I just didn't want to do them. I have to be in the right frame of mind to do the big tasks such as sort out a wardrobe.

biglouis Sun 19-Mar-23 12:55:11

Mine is looking at my email.

I have a principle that if I dont enjoy it or it doesnt bring in money then its not worth doing.

Granmarderby10 Sun 19-Mar-23 12:16:04

loopyloo that’s just how it should be😺

loopyloo Sun 19-Mar-23 11:41:33

I write lists.
I don't actually do much but plan a lot.
Then have coffee and look on gransnet.
Ist task is make the bed.
2nd is unload load dishwasher because if that's done kitchen looks. better.
Will put off ironing interminably.
I do what I absolutely have to do. Then day dream about how beautiful is the early white blossom on the trees in the Hertfordshire landscape.

Callistemon21 Sun 19-Mar-23 11:06:13

I might just do a crossword first .....

Callistemon21 Sun 19-Mar-23 11:04:41

BlueBalou

Mine’s tidying my craft room, that takes preference over just about anything else!

Rearranging my stash of yarn as if tidying it all up will make this latest project any easier!

In fact, going on Gransnet too, but thinking I should get on with tackling a bit more of it.

However, it's Mothering Sunday, I can please myself 😀

BigBertha1 Sun 19-Mar-23 10:49:57

Its rained a LOT here lately so the golf course is closed. Have I got all the Spring cleaning done - I have not. I have been sorting clothes though as a charity bag came through the letterbox and I always feel I should fill it. If the golf course was open that would be priority - -it costs a lot so we have to get our money's worth.

TerriBull Sun 19-Mar-23 10:06:47

World's worst prevaricator here! The spirit is willing as my late father often said when faced with something or other to do in the house that he wasn't getting on with ......him and Scarlet O'Hara's mantra of "Tomorrow is another Day" that's me!. Umpteen jobs I ought to get on with, sorting wardrobe etc. My husband puts me to shame, he's always cleaning bathrooms and the like. We had a cleaner before we moved, will get another one but am getting the decorators in before that, so whoever cleans for us doesn't have to work round whatever they are doing. My daily routines which generally comprise of a combination of grocery shopping,planning, preparation and cooking of food, factoring in some sort of exercise, walking/swimming/yoga, tackling ironing, learning French, hosting family stays, not to mention idling away time on my laptop what time is left shock

Whitewavemark2 Sun 19-Mar-23 07:09:00

I go through phases. Short bursts of being all efficient and whizzing through the housework and long bursts of “can’t be bothered” and it just gets a lick and a promise.

I’m the same with cooking. Either long complicated recipes or “ god what shall we have that is quick and easy”

Happy medium would be good.

MrsKen33 Sun 19-Mar-23 06:12:28

Easy. Take out hoover and plug in in an obvious place. In the hall is good. Then go into the living room and read a book or whatever. If someone visits , you were just ‘ going to?’. Works every time. You have to do it eventually of course .

Redhead56 Sat 18-Mar-23 20:42:54

Our daughter visited today and went upstairs to the bathroom and came down. She said wow mum what have you done the bathroom looks renovated and lovely. I said all I did was buy a new storage unit and shoved everything in it. It’s amazing how ten mins effort can transform a room but it’s not that often I bother.

Judy54 Sat 18-Mar-23 16:45:34

Blow the housework. If I am invited out for a coffee that is my go to excuse. No competition really!

ayse Sat 18-Mar-23 16:38:34

It took me months to re-caulk the bath. I’m not very good at housework but the kitchen and bathroom are cleaned regularly. The rest has to wait until I’m in the mood. I can usually find something else more interesting to do!

sodapop Sat 18-Mar-23 16:20:06

Anything to do with French bureaucracy, I tend to put it off until it's incomprehensible.

dragonfly46 Sat 18-Mar-23 15:47:17

I have a list of jobs to do. It doesn’t make me do them writing them down but it makes me feel better!

biglouis Sat 18-Mar-23 15:42:35

Sod the jobs, get a cleaner.

BlueBalou Sat 18-Mar-23 15:38:15

Mine’s tidying my craft room, that takes preference over just about anything else!