Gransnet forums

Chat

Robot deliveries

(41 Posts)
Mollygo Mon 20-Mar-23 18:58:30

Sounds interesting. I watched them in the news tonight, but how long before they get stolen?

Tweedle24 Sun 26-Mar-23 12:10:08

I would need a drone, rather than these, to deliver to my door down a flight of steps.

As for taking jobs, shouldn’t we be educating our young to design, build and manage new technology like this?

I am not unsympathetic, but looking back through history, technology has always resulted in some unemployment. There will always be some ‘hands on’ service jobs. There is a hiatus between developing technology and it replacing the jobs.

bear1 Sat 25-Mar-23 08:10:26

they wouldnt make it around where i live in a rural area with lots of steep hills and no edges to the roads just ditches and many craters where road should be

lixy Fri 24-Mar-23 21:01:18

4allweknow

How do they ring the doorbell?

They phone you to say they have arrived.

moorlikeit they are electric, so no/very little noise.

moorlikeit Fri 24-Mar-23 19:19:24

2' square and heavy - how is that "sweet"? Why do we always have to wait for the first or series of injuries or fatalities before we, as a society, acknowledge the obvious problems? It's the same with Smart Motorways, shared pedestrian/cycle paths and electric scooters to name but a few of the current self-made potentially very dangerous situations facing us.
Neither do I welcome anything that makes our world noisier.

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Mar-23 17:58:27

My preference is to live in the countryside where these things don’t happen and if you want a takeaway you have to get in your car to collect it. Therefore a takeaway is a rarity for us.

Milest0ne Fri 24-Mar-23 17:47:53

Our local Chinese restaurant has a robot to bring take-out orders from the kitchen and also deliver food to the server at the table. they also can tell you what the menu choices are for desert and they take away dirty pots. I wonder if they do the washing up? GGC think it is cool.

4allweknow Fri 24-Mar-23 17:44:44

How do they ring the doorbell?

Germanshepherdsmum Fri 24-Mar-23 17:23:20

I doubt I will find out. All the houses here just have names, not street numbers. SatNav can only find the road. Can these robots read?

Growing0ldDisgracefully Fri 24-Mar-23 17:21:57

How do they deal with uneven ground, garden gates, steps and gravel? How do you know they have arrived and to go out and collect the contents? What happens if they are unable to get an answer or deliver? Just curious - it's not something which has reached our area yet though I guess will become commonplace in the future.

Callistemon21 Fri 24-Mar-23 17:04:48

Germanshepherdsmum

Thank goodness for living in the sticks!

What happens if you have no pavements, I wonder?

😁

Moya Fri 24-Mar-23 16:38:01

We have had them here for a few years never heard of anyone trying to steal or vandalise them, or any accidents. They stop when you get in their way, they work very well. My son is a widower and has three young children, he was feeling ill a few months ago and couldn't get out to the shops, our daughter arranged for a robot delivery to cheer him and the children up. The children loved it when they saw it coming up the garden path, my daughter had sent him some easy prep meals, the usual basics and a few treats for him and the children. It really cheered them up.

Carbonated Fri 24-Mar-23 15:48:32

Makes me sad that mostly we think this is a sweet, efficient and endearing swizz to get our stuff to us.
Roll on less than 5 years into the future and we'll all be wondering where the jobs for our young people are, and how audacious these companies are making so much (untaxable) profits.

frankie74 Fri 24-Mar-23 15:38:04

Co-op in Higham Ferrers use them. I was fascinated but they saw me before I realised what they were

twiglet77 Fri 24-Mar-23 15:30:47

They’re called Starships, a big development a few miles away has them bumbling about, delivering for the Co-Op. Funny little things, they look as if they’re thinking and plotting their next move! They stop when someone approaches, and they’re very careful when they cross the road!

www.starship.xyz/starship-food-delivery-app/

grandtanteJE65 Fri 24-Mar-23 14:11:35

We don't have them here yet, and Heaven forbid that they would be allowed on bike tracks - half the time we have to share the bike tracks with parked cars, other cyclists riding the wrong way along them, and pedestrians jay-walking. Robot messenger-boys are the last thing we need.

Danish hospitals use them indoors, to bring medicine from the pharmacy to wards, and anything else that isn't online from one dept. to another.

The hospital robots are not coffee-table size, more like old-fashioned industrial trolleys! Or daleks!

sandelf Fri 24-Mar-23 14:01:11

Gosh fun! Our pavements are so awful they'd fall over.

Janeea Fri 24-Mar-23 13:57:36

We had one of the trials of them here, have now had them for about 5 years, no problems at all that I have heard of, certainly never seen anyone jumping on them or pushing them into the road 🤷‍♀️

BeverleyJB Fri 24-Mar-23 13:36:42

I live near MK and we had a robot delivery during lockdown - treated ourselves to a take-away.

During our lockdown walks, we often had to “assist” one that got stuck against a pole or something. They are very heavy!

I do feel a bit anxious though when I see one trying to cross a busy road shock!

Frankie51 Fri 24-Mar-23 13:19:16

They look interesting but I just worry that it's another job lost for a person. We are making ourselves redundant lol! The robots might not need us eventually .

Cambia Fri 24-Mar-23 13:07:28

As we are seven miles from the nearest shop, don’t expect to see these anytime soon!

Tammie12 Fri 24-Mar-23 13:03:48

We have them here as well, often see them going past. My daughters nick named them Stan I thought that’s what they were called till they said it’s just what they called them. Several times my daughter has come out of her house to help stan get up the curb

Nannan2 Fri 24-Mar-23 12:08:59

Lemontart- i'm sure the 'rough' area types would find a way to break in.😅🫤

Nannan2 Fri 24-Mar-23 12:06:57

I remember seeing something about these ages ago- but heard nothing since! Maybe they never took off anywhere else? Couldnt see them managing to deliver unscathed (or unrobbed) in 'rough' areas.?

Galaxy Fri 24-Mar-23 12:06:31

I am all for it. Recently a human delivery person asked me if I wanted my photo taken whilst I picked up my Tesco bags shock. Wouldnt happen with robots.

Lemontart Fri 24-Mar-23 12:04:39

We have them here in Northampton. They are kind of cute, although the novelty has worn off now. I have used one a few times, it works through an app which tracks its journey and they don't unlock until you confirm through the app that it is with you. They would be difficult to break into.