Gransnet forums

Chat

Air fryer meal suggestions please .

(102 Posts)
Sandytoes Tue 21-Mar-23 08:49:36

I have just bought an air fryer . When I say just I have had it over a month and it's still shiny and new and just sits in kitchen watching me use the oven . Please help it to earn its keep . I am cooking for two of us . Thanks

shysal Wed 17-Jan-24 09:38:49

I was given that book after Christmas and have put coloured PVC tape across the 'of' in the title!

Mazgg Sun 14-Jan-24 13:06:19

I agree with Maw, that title would drive my potty.

LucyAnna Sun 14-Jan-24 12:50:40

Doodledog

A quick and easy (veggie) AF recipe, if you can call it that, is to put mediterranean vegetables into a roasting tin, stir some pesto over it and cook for a few minutes, whilst you slice a block of halloumi hasselback style (as you would a potato). Then add the halloumi to the vegetables and cook until it is brown. You can get bags of frozen mediterranean veg in supermarkets, or slice up fresh ones - they are equally good. Serve with garlic bread. One average block of cheese does one and a half people, depending on how hungry you are grin.

That sounds good, Doodledog - do you steam the veg first?

shysal Sun 14-Jan-24 11:16:31

Ziplok

Well, I’m back (rather late in the day, I know, but I’ve been mulling it over for some time 😅). Anyway, I’ve taken the plunge and bought a 2 drawer air fryer (Lakeland brand), so now I’m going to research some recipes to try. As I type, I’ve got 2 chicken breasts defrosting, so they’ll be the first thing I cook in the air fryer once I’ve found a recipe I like the sound of.
I was worried about counter space, but after some re-organising, I’ve found a suitable spot. So, fingers crossed it gets lots of use.
As an aside, does anyone use the silicon liners you can buy to place on the drawer bottoms. They had some in the Lakeland store when I was researching the various models, but didn’t buy any because I hadn’t purchased the AF at that point? Are they worth it, to help keep the drawers easier to clean, or are they just a pricy gimmick?

I use the silicone liners a lot. They are much easier to wash than the drawer inserts in my Tower Dual. It is easier to lift dishes or baking tins in and out too. I also use throw-away parchment liners for things like roast potatoes or under any dish which might bubble over like tonight's cottage pie.
I searched on line for AF accessories and bought a compatible set including mini baking tins, silicone muffin baker and racks with skewers for kebabs. I have found them useful.
www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0B82KP2HN?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&tag=gransnetforum-21

midgey Sat 13-Jan-24 20:20:42

Fuschia I think you need your air fryer temperature higher.

Auntieflo Sat 13-Jan-24 19:24:34

Fuschia, have you tried letting the par- boiled potatoes become quite cold before roasting them in a hot oven/ air fryer?

fushia Sat 13-Jan-24 18:13:14

Can any of you kind ladies help? I use an air-fryer regularly, not every day. I still struggle with the conversion tables, for example converting the oven temperature is this based on electric or fan?
Also, roasting, I parboil, drain, shake to roughen edges toss in oil then roast at 160 (in fan oven 180) still have to roast for 45 mins at least. I would still say my fan oven roasties have the edge, what am I doing wrong? Thanks

Gin Sat 13-Jan-24 16:23:39

I, like Ziplok, bought an air fryer recently from Lakeland. I have so far not been very impressed. The chips I made tasted like baked potatoes as of course they were, as apposed to soft on the inside , crisp on the outside, fried ones. Not a good substitute. I cooked salmon fillets but found they took longer than in my oven , my roast potatoes were nice and coloured but so hard. I need some lessons! I find it very hard to get the food out of the fryer, it is a two drawer one. I tried making a foil strip ‘hammock’ but that broke. I have arthritic fingers so am rather clumsy but can see no easy way to get stuff out. Help please, I must be very stupid as all posters seem to love their machines.

I have sent for a cookbook and will watch some of the videos.

M0nica Tue 20-Jun-23 20:33:53

Yes, I have had no problem using an air fryer, but then, I am an experimenter. I will try anything once, so do not need someone to tell me that something can/cannot be cooked in any appliance, I always need to try it myself to see what happens.

I know that many other people, often for very good reasons, are not as willing to throw caution to the winds and experiment.

Charleygirl5 Tue 20-Jun-23 15:48:17

MOnica that should be very helpful although with my air fryer and something supposed to be oven cooked I half the time and keep an eye on it and to date it has worked well.

M0nica Tue 20-Jun-23 13:41:22

It has been reported today that one food chain, a subsidiary of Iceland has introduced an 'Airfryer Aisle' where the cabinets are full of items that can be cooked in an air fryer and where the packaging gives air fryer cooking instructions.

Ziplok Tue 20-Jun-23 11:02:28

Pricey, sorry!

Ziplok Tue 20-Jun-23 11:01:32

Well, I’m back (rather late in the day, I know, but I’ve been mulling it over for some time 😅). Anyway, I’ve taken the plunge and bought a 2 drawer air fryer (Lakeland brand), so now I’m going to research some recipes to try. As I type, I’ve got 2 chicken breasts defrosting, so they’ll be the first thing I cook in the air fryer once I’ve found a recipe I like the sound of.
I was worried about counter space, but after some re-organising, I’ve found a suitable spot. So, fingers crossed it gets lots of use.
As an aside, does anyone use the silicon liners you can buy to place on the drawer bottoms. They had some in the Lakeland store when I was researching the various models, but didn’t buy any because I hadn’t purchased the AF at that point? Are they worth it, to help keep the drawers easier to clean, or are they just a pricy gimmick?

cc Mon 27-Mar-23 12:50:13

M0nica

I have a circular air fryer. Today, for lunch I cooked lamb chops on a bed of courgettes with mint flavoured gravy over. I did it directly in the air fryer and it woked very well.

Tonight we will have cauliflower cheese for supper. I will cook the cauliflower in the microwave, cheese sauce on the hob. Put cauliflower and then sauce directly into the airfryer and put grated cheese and breadcrumbs on top. And then switch air fryer on.

I love cauliflower cheese but sadly my husband hates anything involving brassicas.

M0nica Sat 25-Mar-23 16:18:03

I have a circular air fryer. Today, for lunch I cooked lamb chops on a bed of courgettes with mint flavoured gravy over. I did it directly in the air fryer and it woked very well.

Tonight we will have cauliflower cheese for supper. I will cook the cauliflower in the microwave, cheese sauce on the hob. Put cauliflower and then sauce directly into the airfryer and put grated cheese and breadcrumbs on top. And then switch air fryer on.

cc Sat 25-Mar-23 11:06:34

I've recently made a nice tortilla. Cook chopped or sliced onions with bits of choritzo or bacon, add leftover potatoes and warm up, then add forked up eggs and mix a bit. You can use up whatever is in the fridge: other meats, veg, little chunks of cheese. Also nice to top with cheese and add fresh herbs. We like our tortilla spicy so add chipotle powder, fresh chilli or chilli oil.
You do need a dish which will fit in your AF - I have an oval porcelain dish which is perfect for two people and have used a loaf tin for a big, sliceable picnic version.
Obviously you can also make this in a frying pan but you can cook through to the middle more quickly in the AF, even with a substantial tortilla.

Sandytoes Fri 24-Mar-23 21:11:01

Love the caption , Dadima .
Very unadventurous, but cooked chips in the AF this evening . Haven't had a deep fat fryer for years and these are certainly better than oven cooked .

Daddima Fri 24-Mar-23 17:38:44

Just see that the caption is missing from the above. It said ‘ CORRECTIVE LENSES’.

Daddima Fri 24-Mar-23 17:37:34

Charleygirl5

I think that "should of" is worse!

I agree. I also wonder when queues became ‘ques’ and drawers became ‘draws’.

Sorry to digress. There are lots of ideas on YouTube, just choose the ones you prefer ( if you’re like me, it’ll be the ones which annoy you the least!)

narrowboatnan Fri 24-Mar-23 17:13:03

Have a look at some of these YouTube videos. This young woman cooks just about everything in her 2-drawer air fryer. I’ve tried some of her recipes.
youtube.com/@budgetcookinguk

Blondiescot Fri 24-Mar-23 09:24:52

I quite often make something similar to that, Doodledog. It's nice with feta instead of halloumi too - and lovely served with couscous.

hilz Fri 24-Mar-23 07:54:04

Chicken breast and fill with sausage meat garlic and cheese. Sprinkle with chilli powder . Cook 200° for 20 mins wrap in foil to 'rest' . Roast par boiled potatoes tossed in a little olive oil for 10 mins adding sliced peppers onions carrots etc tossed in honey for a further 10 mins. Always check meat is cooked thoroughly prior to serving.

Doodledog Thu 23-Mar-23 23:00:22

A quick and easy (veggie) AF recipe, if you can call it that, is to put mediterranean vegetables into a roasting tin, stir some pesto over it and cook for a few minutes, whilst you slice a block of halloumi hasselback style (as you would a potato). Then add the halloumi to the vegetables and cook until it is brown. You can get bags of frozen mediterranean veg in supermarkets, or slice up fresh ones - they are equally good. Serve with garlic bread. One average block of cheese does one and a half people, depending on how hungry you are grin.

tattygran14 Thu 23-Mar-23 22:52:51

And, Maw, I'm digressing slightly, the road signs saying 'Road liable to flooding' Grrr.

Charleygirl5 Thu 23-Mar-23 21:47:38

I think that "should of" is worse!