Gransnet forums

Chat

Public baths

(42 Posts)
travelsafar Tue 21-Mar-23 09:14:04

Taking my shower this morning I was wishing I could have a lovely deep hot bath but I knew I couldn't I just wouldn't be able to get out unaided. This prompted the thought that wouldn't it be lovely if public baths were revived. They could put the baths with doors and seats so disabled people could walk in then fill the bath once door secured. So many young people house share and only have access to showers I'm sure they would like to be able smileto have a lovely soak in a hot bath as well. Someone could be employed to make sure all is clean and safe for everyone. I for one would definitely use it.

NotSpaghetti Fri 24-Mar-23 06:55:47

Oh, I see you were talking about hot-tubs Hetty.
I thought it was to do with public baths!

mokryna Fri 24-Mar-23 01:14:00

My Japanese friend told me that they they wash before getting into a bath to soak.

Catterygirl Fri 24-Mar-23 00:54:05

Unfortunately I gave them up after suffering a 10 day cold afterwards. Maybe I made the water too hot. No regrets as I would really struggle to stand up now from a sitting position.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Mar-23 23:25:09

NotSpaghetti In a hot tub (not a bath) - then, when you empty it, the water has to go down a drain and not on the garden - as the plants would suffer!

Doodledog Thu 23-Mar-23 23:10:02

This is Ray Winstone in a public bath in Quadrophenia. Not a petri dish in sight grin

NotSpaghetti Thu 23-Mar-23 23:06:19

Hetty - I'm not sure what you mean about putting chemicals in a bath?

Doodledog Thu 23-Mar-23 22:53:55

MerylStreep

Quokka

What a strange idea that having a bath means sitting in ‘your own muck’! hmm

They must have been dirty buggers when they got in.

That's what I was thinking grin.

I love a hot bath, preferably with oil in, or nicely scented bubbles, and have one most nights. I like the bedroom to be cool and me to be warm, and the best way is to put a couple of drops of scented oil on the hot stone in the bedroom, run the bath, soak for a while, and get into bed in a scented bedroom.

If it's cold as opposed to cool, I switch the electric blanket on whilst I'm in the bath, too. I try to use the same few oils, so that I associate them with sleep, as I can suffer from insomnia at times.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Mar-23 22:37:33

IrishDancing, - agree, you have to add chemicals to the water, rather like the chlorine in a swimming pool. Chlorine gives me a rash - and the idea of 'dirt soup' from others puts me right off!

MerylStreep Thu 23-Mar-23 22:37:16

Quokka

They must have been dirty buggers when they got in.

IrishDancing Thu 23-Mar-23 22:27:43

I only have an occasional soak in the bath, it’s a luxury rather than a cleanse! But the idea of a hot tub, ie sitting in a bath with (or after!) other people as I’ve seen in some adverts, is disgusting to me.

Hetty58 Thu 23-Mar-23 22:14:24

I once lived in (part of) a Victorian house with a massive cast iron bath - and a fireplace too! I had lovely long soaks in that with the fire roaring opposite - bliss!

My friend has a self-contained bathroom 'pod' in her garage and the bath is a walk-in type. Her mother (who lives in a flat with just a shower) has a Sunday luxury dip in that - although I think they're very expensive.

Quokka Thu 23-Mar-23 21:56:38

LucyW Thu 23-Mar-23 19:11:08

I remember as a student in Glasgow in the late 70s/early 80s going to the baths at Central Station - it was wonderful! The baths were spotless and you got a wee bar of soap, a disposable floor mat and a huge towel. You could wallow in a hot, deep bath which was never possible in the grotty student flats. The ladies in charge were very friendly too. I do recall going once and there were no baths available so I opted for a shower instead. When I turned it on the jets were so strong I felt like I was being prodded by very hot needles! I had forgotten all about the baths at Central Station until reading this thread.

mumofmadboys Thu 23-Mar-23 18:50:46

I have just got out of a hot bath.After a nine mile walk a cuppa in the bath is a perfect tonic.

MayBee70 Thu 23-Mar-23 18:45:07

We didn’t have a bathroom or inside toilet when I was a child and I can remember going to a public baths when I was a teenager: I took some bubble bath with me. From memory it was tiled and very Victorian looking. My aunt then moved into a pensioners bungalow with a bathroom and I used to go there for a bath.

Kryptonite Thu 23-Mar-23 18:38:51

I completely agree and have often thought the same. My mum can't get upstairs and no bathroom downstairs (only loo). She would soooo love to have a bath. Can't find anyone with downstairs, suitable facilities to borrow.

NotSpaghetti Thu 23-Mar-23 18:34:53

I like a bath occasionally. It's lovely to soak.
🛀

I do like to have a good rinse afterwards though... especially if I've used an oil.

I hate all the cleaning of it though to be honest (and I do it both before and afterwards) 🙄

madeleine45 Thu 23-Mar-23 16:25:39

In my previous house had a bath with a shower over the top of it. The shower was great for early morning, quick and minimum use of water and clean and done. But I did love an occasional bath- not to get clean but much more to put essential oil in , usually rose, lavendar or a citrus one and it was lovely and soothing and calming. Sadly only have shower here, practical and saves water but do miss the joy of the bath, but probably wouldnt be able to get out easily

silverlining48 Thu 23-Mar-23 15:54:26

I love my bath, and delighted that post hip replacement I can ( just about) still get in and out of it.
I never understand when people talk about not liking a bath because it’s’ sitting in your own dirt,’ . Given people now shower every day and change underwear daily, not once a week like in my day, there can be precious little if any, dirt.

Keffie12 Thu 23-Mar-23 15:20:02

Yuck no! I only do showers. I don't want to lie in my own muck either. We only have a walk in shower in our home. Granted the wet room was put in because of disability. However we never used the bath before and only showered then.

Gundy Thu 23-Mar-23 15:08:54

Wouldn’t it be lovely… but…

I would not be in favor of it - with people’s personal dirt, viruses, fungus strains, health issues, etc plus the sanitation after each usage is strenuous, not only the phenomenal waste of water supply, it just doesn’t seem feasible (timewise and profitably for the business).

I worked in a hospital and my 24/7 department had overnight sleeping and showering accommodations for trauma families that could not leave their ICU loved one, or were on a death watch. It worked fine as an amenity until the safety and sanitation issues became a problem. It was stopped many years ago.

Bathing consumes lots of water, showering less so. I miss my baths at home but I’m no longer able to get out of the poorly designed tub without proper handles. People wanting to soak are better off installing a walk-in, sit down tub. (My future?) For now a hot shower does the trick. Stay safe and bubbles to you!
USA Gundy

FoghornLeghorn Thu 23-Mar-23 14:57:30

My mum and Nan used to use the public baths when I was a child. Every Saturday morning I’d sit in the waiting room with a comic while they bathed. The water was controlled from outside each bathroom by an attendant who turned a big handle. I remember the cries of ‘more hot in number twelve please’. 😂

nipsmum Thu 23-Mar-23 13:30:49

No thank you. They are not for me. I couldn't put on my nightie after and get into bed. I would need to drive home. Too much trouble for little gain for me.

Fleurpepper Thu 23-Mar-23 12:52:30

pinkprincess

lyleLyle

Giant petri dishes? No thanks!

That's hot tubs. I have never used one and nether will

I love mine, but it is mine, and mine alone! Bought after my first knee replacement, and the best treat ever.

Public baths had small rooms with a large bath- and it was cleaned well after each use with fresh water- so no petri dish.

Riggie Thu 23-Mar-23 12:50:39

I know I'm probably in a minority but we are a bath family. My disabled adult son flatly refuses to have a shower at all - it's a sensory issue, plus it's easier for someone to help him without them getting wet in a shower.

It's making booking nice holiday cottages harder as so many now only have a shower. (He doesn't need an adapted bath, just a standard one. And going without is not an option)