Gransnet forums

Chat

Which accent do you absolutely love?

(133 Posts)
AskAlice Thu 23-Mar-23 19:58:23

Hearing Steven Gerrard on the TV tonight (build up to the England game, which OH is currently watching.)

I just love a Scouse accent. Being Inner London born and bred, I have a typical Cockney accent (I was born in the City of London district within the sound of Bow Bells) but I think that is a boring sound. The Scouse accent just seems to sing!

What accent, apart from your own, appeals to you most?

FannyCornforth Wed 29-Mar-23 00:41:05

Hollysteers pointing out that something can be upsetting is not ‘policing’, is it?

Thanks Gulligranny, thanks
as someone who has spent their life being told that their accent is awful I am perhaps a bit sensitive (but not a member of the GN Constabulary)

Sago Wed 29-Mar-23 00:01:17

Greyduster

jocork

I love an Irish accent. I have my sat nav set to the Irish voice 'Sean' which I find very soothing. Unfortunately my sat nav doesn't update for traffic etc so I now mostly use my phone on google maps but the voice isn't so friendly.

As long as ‘Sean’ doesn’t respond like this:

“Can you tell me the way to Cork from here?

Ah, sure if I was you, I wouldn’t bother going. You are miles away.”

I would love Sean to say “ “It’s a long way to Tipperary “ 😉

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Mar-23 23:47:19

Greyduster

jocork

I love an Irish accent. I have my sat nav set to the Irish voice 'Sean' which I find very soothing. Unfortunately my sat nav doesn't update for traffic etc so I now mostly use my phone on google maps but the voice isn't so friendly.

😂😂😂

hollysteers Tue 28-Mar-23 21:52:24

gulligranny

Sorry Fanny - you're absolutely right, it is rude and I apologise wholeheartedly.

I’m from Liverpool and find a raucous Liverpool accent horrendous myself.
There’s no need to apologise and I don’t think the thread should be policed by a gransnetter who decides what we should or should not be saying.

gulligranny Tue 28-Mar-23 17:33:44

Sorry Fanny - you're absolutely right, it is rude and I apologise wholeheartedly.

Grammaretto Tue 28-Mar-23 10:45:33

I heard my DH on the phone before I met him and fell for his gentle Edinburgh voice. I grew up in NZ and moved to sarf lunnon but prefer the various Scots accents
I like to hear good pronunciation though - not slovenly talk grin
I like to listen to regional radio stations whilst decorating. Painting a wall and listening to radio Orkney. Bliss 💗

Greyduster Tue 28-Mar-23 10:22:57

jocork

FannyCornforth Mon 27-Mar-23 17:23:51

gulligranny

I loathe the Liverpool accent but adore Glaswegian (I lived there for 10 years). Geordie is impenetrable to my Southern ear, but I like Birmingham and East Anglian accents.

A French accent can be charming as can some American ones, but I think my favourite is a well-modulated German accent - think the two Jurgens Klinsmann and Kopp. Mmm.

For heaven’s sake - can we please not say what accents we ‘loathe’?
It’s so bloody rude angry

gulligranny Mon 27-Mar-23 17:00:25

I loathe the Liverpool accent but adore Glaswegian (I lived there for 10 years). Geordie is impenetrable to my Southern ear, but I like Birmingham and East Anglian accents.

A French accent can be charming as can some American ones, but I think my favourite is a well-modulated German accent - think the two Jurgens Klinsmann and Kopp. Mmm.

Silverlady333 Mon 27-Mar-23 15:57:39

I am a Geordie but I sometimes cringe at Geordies on the TV especially the ones with a very thick guttural version of the Geordie accent!

IrishDancing Mon 27-Mar-23 10:08:55

Sloegin

For those who say they like a ,' southern Irish' accent - which one? Accents vary from county to county and even within a county. I live in Fermanagh N.ireland and accent here is very different from eg a Co Antrim accent. There is a middle class N.Irish accent which is not associated with any particular area - a sort of 'standard Ulster'.

Yes, Sloegin you’re quite right!
My favourite accent is Orcadian.

4allweknow Sun 26-Mar-23 23:41:59

BigBertha1 Have to agree about all the shouting. I'm convinced half the population has hearing issues matched with no manners. It's not the accent it's what people say that counts for me though an Italian always attracts my attention.

Kamj Sun 26-Mar-23 21:08:32

The South African and Irish accents do it for me

grannyrebel7 Sun 26-Mar-23 21:00:14

I love the USA deep south accent also a French accent.

Walkowl Sun 26-Mar-23 21:00:04

grannypiper

Scotland has many many accents, even Glaswegians have different accents within the city, the rougher eastside and the gentler southside. I love the Orcadian accent but the east Ayrshire one makes my teeth itch.

The rougher Glasgewian. Is beautiful in a way.

SachaMac Sun 26-Mar-23 20:49:05

Geordie & variants of Irish or Scottish

JPB123 Sun 26-Mar-23 20:47:06

Rural Lancashire and Southern Ireland…

AGAA4 Sun 26-Mar-23 19:51:48

I like most accents. The only one that grates on me is the the very plummy one.

grannypiper Sun 26-Mar-23 19:28:10

Scotland has many many accents, even Glaswegians have different accents within the city, the rougher eastside and the gentler southside. I love the Orcadian accent but the east Ayrshire one makes my teeth itch.

Doodledog Sun 26-Mar-23 19:10:47

I’m another fan of the Geordie accent, and I also like a soft Glasgow one (eg Storm Huntley).

I don’t think it applies to a particular accent but the speech habit I most dislike is the grunt at the end of words. It’s not so much a glottal stop as an ‘uh’ sound. It’s used a lot in soaps - ‘You can’t leave me now - I’m pregnun-uh’

It duz me ‘ed in-uh!

jocork Sun 26-Mar-23 18:55:52

kjmpde Sun 26-Mar-23 18:09:30

I agree that too many people say "Fink" rather than think etc. Yet I know that is acceptable to many who hate my Brummie accent, despite the fact I can actually say the words.

Barmeyoldbat Sun 26-Mar-23 18:06:55

Just love the Welsh accent, so soft.

lilydily9 Sun 26-Mar-23 18:06:17

Irish accent for me.

Amalegra Sun 26-Mar-23 17:59:34

Highland Scots accent closely followed by southern Irish. Beautiful (and sooo attractive in a man….!)