Gransnet forums

Chat

The King’s trip to France has been postponed

(53 Posts)
25Avalon Fri 24-Mar-23 13:04:26

The King’s first official state visit to France has been postponed due to the current unrest. Maybe he should go to New Zealand instead. Not sure Aussies would welcome him.

Joseanne Thu 06-Apr-23 15:27:58

Do these pesky French try to get away with as little work as possible? I had to laugh.

Today is conveniently another strike day.
Tomorrow, Good Friday. Not traditionally a national holiday, but we'll take it anyway.
Then the weekend, of course no work.
Then on into Easter Monday.

It's a good job my friends here don't mind having their legs pulled a bit.

Joseanne Mon 27-Mar-23 16:04:10

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'm fed up sitting by the computer and phone all day searching.

Mamie Mon 27-Mar-23 16:01:16

Tomorrow is a big strike day. You can check what is happening on the c'est la grève website or app. Only in France is there a dedicated site for strikes. 😂
www.cestlagreve.fr/
Hope you are ok for the weekend Joseanne

Joseanne Mon 27-Mar-23 14:53:46

I'll put up with a shortage of petrol and a few overflowing bins, IF I can even get there without my crossing being cancelled. Brittany Ferries are not sailing to St. Malo tonight or tomorrow. French dockers strike. DD who was due to sail ahead with kids and dog told me she had received a message at lunchtime. She is 😡, kids are 😥. Dog doesn't know any different!

halfpint1 Mon 27-Mar-23 14:44:33

My bins were emptied as usual today. No uprising visible in my part of France
No queues for petrol, much as the media would like to panic us into causing them and 2 hour lunch breaks are in the minority now.
However I am sick of the never ending news showing the Paris violence/overflowing bins etc my son said it was cheaper for the reporters than going out for non Paris news

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-Mar-23 14:17:26

I think that they all have a good case. I didn’t hear Hugh Grant mentioned - anyone know if he’s one of the people bringing the case against the Mail?

Anniebach Mon 27-Mar-23 13:40:53

Please remember Harry is toxic

Grany Mon 27-Mar-23 13:34:45

Harry doing his bit to rid UK of toxic media.
As Prince Harry is in London for his case against Daily Mail and other media ghouls like Piers Morgan for their vile hacking, stalking, and invasion of privacy, please remember that King Charles and Camila only recently hired the Daily Mail editor as head of Palace PR.

nanna8 Sun 26-Mar-23 08:27:19

Of course Aussies like him, he went to school here for one thing. Now H and M- that’s another story. If there was a vote today the republicans would lose , mainly because we all dread to think who would be put in charge! In principle I support a republic but in practice, that’s another matter.

Mamie Sun 26-Mar-23 07:33:35

The problem is that to leave things as they are would cost 66bn€ and mean that contributions which are already very high, would have to go up significantly. I don't think people would like that either.

vegansrock Sun 26-Mar-23 07:08:13

The French know how to protest. There was huge protests when the last pension age rise happened , but it eventually got through. I suspect this one will too, although they’ve got a point- why work till you drop like they do in the U.K.? They like their two hour lunch breaks with a proper meal too.

biglouis Sun 26-Mar-23 00:01:15

A bit of rioting in the streets and burning cars outside the houses of our wastral politicos might put the wind up their lazy entitled asses. Such a pity its not the British way.

Calendargirl Sat 25-Mar-23 20:11:04

Volver was being a bit sarcastic about my reply to one of her posts.

I realised I hadn’t noticed anything from her lately, and although ‘recollections may vary’, I thought she had said she was leaving GN.

But seeing as she is still posting, ‘obviously not’.

smile

Callistemon21 Sat 25-Mar-23 16:50:49

Fleurpepper

Calendargirl

43% of Australians believe it should become a republic

So 57% are still ok with the Monarchy then.

The man who should have been the true Heir to the throne, had the line of succession not been repeatedly messed up, died a few years ago. He had emigrated to Australia and become a sheep farmer. A Hastings from Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

Yes, I have related his story on here.
It all happened because of a '13 month pregnancy' during the era of the Plantagenets.

There is still a rightful claimant to the English throne, Michael's son, Simon Abney-Hastings, 15th Earl of Loudon.

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 16:41:51

I don’t think the King would be in any danger visiting Paris but Macron might have a baguette broken over his bonce.

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 16:32:48

Maybe Calendargirl thought you had actually left the site Volver3 it is possible y’know. You must have said you were leaving at some point.

volver3 Sat 25-Mar-23 16:23:20

Pathetic?

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 16:18:49

'I thought you had left GN Volver, but obviously not.'

so what would you call it then?

Uncouth? Rude? Bullying?

Oreo Sat 25-Mar-23 16:06:34

Nasty seems to be a GN buzz word😄
Reminds me of Donald Trump, he said it all the time.

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 16:01:39

Calendargirl

^43% of Australians believe it should become a republic^

So 57% are still ok with the Monarchy then.

The man who should have been the true Heir to the throne, had the line of succession not been repeatedly messed up, died a few years ago. He had emigrated to Australia and become a sheep farmer. A Hastings from Ashby-de-la-Zouch.

Fleurpepper Sat 25-Mar-23 15:59:44

Calendargirl

Yes, my arithmetic is good.

I thought you had left GN Volver, but obviously not.

Wow how nasty!

I am so glad Volver is still with us smile

Joseanne Sat 25-Mar-23 13:36:15

Thanks Mamie, I never thought to phone the French number. Cheeky answering the phone quickly over there! grin I'm fairly laid back about hanging on here a day or so, but DH has to fit the trip around work commitments.
I like the sound of that lunchtime news. Get the priorities!

Joseanne Sat 25-Mar-23 13:31:53

I think Macron supports the British Monarchy. When the Queen died, I remember him saying something like Her Majesty was the very link that held the two countries together. And then some flowery imagery about continuing to weave the cloth together with King Charles - (a bit different from the way the Bayeux tapestry showed relations, I hope!).
Several French articles refer to Emmanuel as King Macron, or he likes to think he is. All good!

Iam64 Sat 25-Mar-23 13:19:33

Blossoming

Oreo

Blossoming

I admire the way the French public stick up for themselves, and each other.

I don’t.
Retiring at 62!
Countries can’t afford it. What a lazy lot.

Nasty remark.

It had to be postponed. A royal visit with accompanying public pomp n ceremony would have inflamed the protest.

I’m surprised that there has been so little spontaneous or organised protest here about the dreadful government, the destruction of public services, etc etc.

Calendargirl Sat 25-Mar-23 12:59:58

Yes, my arithmetic is good.

I thought you had left GN Volver, but obviously not.