Gransnet forums

Chat

What does your typical weekend look like?

(49 Posts)
Kandinsky Sun 26-Mar-23 13:44:05

I’m often asked by work colleagues ‘what plans have you got for the weekend?’ -
Well more often than not I haven’t got any plans. I do a bit of shopping & my daughter might pop over for an hour with the grandchildren, but that’s about it.
I’m happy just pottering around the house & garden.
I sometimes feel like I should be out & about doing exciting things every weekend & feel a bit embarrassed when I say ‘ I just stayed at home actually’

Is it normal to not do very much at weekends? ( I still work 4 days so like a rest! grin )

CanadianGran Mon 27-Mar-23 19:25:10

I am still working full time, so weekends are grocery shopping, some housekeeping (DH does most as he is retired), meeting a friend for coffee, walking the dog, etc.

Sundays I try to do a roast for dinner, catch up with long-distance family on the phone, and hopefully have a bit of cosy-couch time with a book. Local family including G-children may drop by for a visit, but we tend not to have them for dinner as it just became a bit too much.

Routine is fine for me. We enjoy the odd dinner with friend, and even went to a concert on Friday - and AC/DC cover band; they were excellent and our ears were ringing when we left!

Kandinsky Mon 27-Mar-23 19:10:45

Thank you everyone, I’ve really enjoyed reading about your weekends.

Kandinsky Mon 27-Mar-23 19:09:56

knspol sorry to hear you feel lonely at weekends, it’s a difficult time for many people as it’s ( usually) about get togethers & going ‘out’ & having fun.
For you flowers

Mishy Mon 27-Mar-23 18:54:43

When I worked in an office, I didn't really talk about my home life but one Monday I was asked what I had done over the weekend, on Saturday I took the motorX bike to a competition, and came last, drove home, washed bike off, did a few minor repairs, got road bike out and went for a 2 hour ride, came home and went out with mates in the evening, came home and went to bed. Sunday went to another motorX race, came last again, came home, rinsed bike off, made dinner, did some gardening and relaxed for the rest of the day. It was very quiet in the office and someone said So you didn't do much then. After that I kept my mouth shut. Still ride a road bike, garden and chill out in the evening but gave up motorX. Am 62 now.

knspol Mon 27-Mar-23 18:43:33

All change since lost DH. Very lonely wknds, family who usually ring to see how I'm getting on are all busy at wknds. Went out to shops one Sat but was very aware of how everybody was in couples or with friends which was upsetting especially when I didn't really have any purpose for shopping. Occasionally
Sunday lunch with family otherwise buy a paper from the local shop and maybe some ironing or housework and maybe a grocery delivery worst 2 days of the week at the moment.

LRavenscroft Mon 27-Mar-23 16:12:38

Saturday, Mr R goes out with his cycling gang.
Sunday, Mr R goes out with his cycling gang.
I change beds, bake, shop, do garden, go for a walk to the sea, do the washing and then sit down with a cup of tea. This weekend I am helping out at a craft sale at parish church.

Dancinggran Mon 27-Mar-23 14:46:20

Wouldn't say I have a typical weekend quite happy to take dog on walks and then just chill. Some like this weekend are busy dog obviously needed walking but also had a Guiding event on Saturday afternoon - had my 11 year old grandson overnight so took him to see his cousins. Sunday dog walk, visited my dad and a tip run and collected granddaughter and friend from stables.

Hellis Mon 27-Mar-23 14:43:52

A chance to lay in bed a bit longer( only until about 8.30). I look after my toddler grandson all week, he arrives at 8 so get up early to get ready and do any necessary chores before he arrives. He's quite demanding and now into everything and I'm exhausted when he goes at 5.30ish. Most weekends my eldest two grandchildren stay over but theyre 11 and 9 and no problem. They help me get some shopping and sometimes we have lunch out. I enjoy their company

Sooze58 Mon 27-Mar-23 14:35:48

Ditto, although I go to church and have coffee there. One daughter with children, one without so can be different one pops in. My sister and BIL come to stay, I go there. When my eldest is home we often go to the theatre but I also go to the theatre/cinema with one particular friend. I work 4 1/2 days so have a cleaner on a Friday - I feel my weekends should be fun!

pascal30 Mon 27-Mar-23 14:31:03

Saturdays are usually life drawing days, early night with a book, sundays I go to the Central Library to read the papers, then a 2 hour restorative yoga session, followed by another early night.. and I usually pop down to look at the sea each day..

Norah Mon 27-Mar-23 14:23:00

Apart from Church days, keeping the books day, all days are the same.

JPB123 Mon 27-Mar-23 14:18:28

Saturday…..shopping, take the dog for a walk , bake, have supper, watch a film.
Sunday…..church, take the dog for a walk, garden, diy, late afternoon dinner, do crosswords in papers.TV.

TwiceAsNice Mon 27-Mar-23 13:41:01

Most Saturdays I get up early to watch granddaughters play Netball. We usually take a coffee with us. Back for something to eat and like to read the papers and do the Telegraph crossword. Rest of the day is variable, sometimes go and do some shopping or just relax in the house, sometimes have a takeaway sometimes cook. Tele and bed.

Sunday church early I help set out everything for the Eucharist. Yesterday we had an evening Passion Sunday service which I went to because I was asked to read during the service but don’t usually go again in the evening. Often do some ironing but usually whatever I fancy . We do do extra stuff some weekends but this is the usual routine . We don’t always have a roast and if we do it’s generally evening rather than lunch time.

SillyNanny321 Mon 27-Mar-23 12:29:34

Being Medically retired for years now no one else here weekends are no different to weekdays! On my own apart from my little cat who hates it when I go out for a walk! Like me does not do loneliness too well but this happens when we get old & have no one around! So what is a weekend????

Sueki44 Mon 27-Mar-23 12:28:33

Got to say that once retired every day is a weekend! We rarely plan anything and shops are busier so to be avoided. Sometimes we catch up with working friends and family, but otherwise it’s a Sunday roast and reading the papers ( we only get them at the weekend)

Keffie12 Mon 27-Mar-23 12:23:45

I usually have the grandchildren on a Saturday. Sunday is variable, to seeing friends or pottering at home, unless there is something on I need to do

Cossy Mon 27-Mar-23 12:23:24

Have to agree with fellow retirees as weekends a very different affair now we’re retired - definitely no more running ourselves ragged playing catch-up !!!

Cossy Mon 27-Mar-23 12:22:04

No such thing as typical in this house ! Real mix of seeing family, looking after doggies, going out with friends or simply vegging !!

grandtanteJE65 Mon 27-Mar-23 12:17:16

Due to DH's poor health and the fact that there is little or no public transport on Sundays, we have largely had to give up going to church on Sundays, as DH can only manage to cycle there and back on his good days and in good weather.

This means that there is little difference between the weekends and any other day of the week, especially as most of our friends have retired like us, so we don't have to see each other at week-ends.

So really whether it is Saturday, Sunday, Monday or Thursday makes no difference.

karmalady Mon 27-Mar-23 12:17:02

I keep the weekend vibe, although living alone. I might do some work on saturday, some baking or de-cluttering, I don`t waste the day and always end up on a positive note

Sundays, I might go for a car ride on pretext of going to a waitrose. The scenery is lovely and countrified. Then back to a nice lunch, maybe a film, maybe time in the garden, reading etc. Knitting later and a quiet wind -down before bed

The weekend evolves, always depending on the weather and sun, I might well go on a long feel-good cycle ride on either day

Scottiebear Mon 27-Mar-23 12:07:05

I think weekends are very different depending on whether you are working or retired. When we worked, weekends were mainly for catchup on shopping, housework, etc. Now we are retired we tend to do stuff such as trips out, lunch or dinner out, non grocery shopping trips, etc, during the week when everywhere is quieter. And also the basic household chores. Weekends we may go for a walk, weather permitting. Might have friends round. DS and DIL often pop by. Starting to do spring stuff in garden now and we've been decorating. So lovely to do things at a leisurely pace.

grannyro Mon 27-Mar-23 12:02:12

Since I retired I do very little at the weekend as it is annoying that everyone is off work and shops etc are so busy. I always use the weekend to do the housework, gardening or just catch up on a box set. I prefer to meet friends, go shopping etc mid week when everything is less busy.

Redhead56 Sun 26-Mar-23 22:19:23

We don’t really have a set routine unless it’s a rugby weekend. An easy one for me not been too well so it was a Saturday lunch at the rugby club then we watched the match. Today in the garden turning the soil and composting veg patch. I made a big pan of onion soup for Monday and Tuesday lunch. Later on we went to the pub for a roast and a few drinks.

MrsKen33 Sun 26-Mar-23 20:02:43

Quiet Saturday. Perhaps a walk or gardening.
Sunday a drive to get the Sunday papers. Then visit our DD for a coffee or stay to lunch.
Then home to read papers .
Mind you the week is also much the same.

BigBertha1 Sun 26-Mar-23 19:27:39

Golf on Friday so Friday evening is slumped by the TV, late to rise on Saturday and perhaps a garden centre/Waitrose visit. Sunday every 3rd Sunday lunch at daughters or pub lunch but in the warmer weather a country walk/garden visit/ few holes of golf. Dead boring I should think to most people.