Gransnet forums

Chat

Today I learned...

(69 Posts)
VioletSky Sun 26-Mar-23 17:44:35

Share an interesting fact.. or Google one!

Today I learned that if sea turtles lay their eggs in warm sand, they all hatch girls but if they lay their eggs in cold sand they all hatch boys!

VioletSky Mon 27-Mar-23 23:25:00

Callistemon21

Don't worry, they're all in our conservatory.

The crocodiles? Lol

Maggiemaybe Mon 27-Mar-23 23:31:53

Today I learnt that Dua Lipa’s real name is….Dua Lipa. Not a stage name meaning Two Lips as I’d foolishly imagined.

Callistemon21 Mon 27-Mar-23 23:37:31

VioletSky

Callistemon21

Don't worry, they're all in our conservatory.

The crocodiles? Lol

😂😂😂
I meant the flies

But I'll check for crocodiles in the garden pond tomorrow.

VioletSky Tue 28-Mar-23 07:34:22

Fly eating crocodiles would be a bonus

Gingster Tue 28-Mar-23 08:11:53

I learnt from my 7 yr old gd that the little horns on a giraffe are called Ossicones.

RakshaMK Tue 28-Mar-23 11:29:19

I learnt that if you are 5'6" obese and have arthritic knees, it is nigh on impossible to get into a Ford Transit V220 with out a step ladder.

tattygran14 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:46:00

I read that iron lungs had to be re-programmed to sigh. People were dying, as they couldn't sigh.

Fae1 Tue 28-Mar-23 11:48:25

Where the crawdads sing - best book I've read for ages!

teachkate Tue 28-Mar-23 11:51:15

Today I learned that you can split a banana into thirds - it is the only tri-segmented fruit in the world! Just push your thumb down the centre of the peeled fruit, one segment will fall away and the remainder breaks into two - amazing

FannyCornforth Tue 28-Mar-23 11:53:31

kate I just had to Google that to see it. Wow!

lizzypopbottle Tue 28-Mar-23 12:03:44

I don't/won't eat anything with more than four legs or fewer than two (although I do eat certain fish). I think it's my mother's ingrained example of shuddering at the sight of insects, spiders, slugs and worms. I'm not scared of them, although I do have a slight aversion to spiders if they invade my home, but eating them doesn't appeal so no lobster, crab, prawns, shrimps, hard shell shellfish, or crawdads etc. I remember, with a mother-like shudder, my grandad eating cockles from a jar, with a pin. I also remember the rotten, dead crabs my children used to present after finding them washed up on the beach. The way marine pollution is going, I'm probably quite sensible.

OP I look up definitions of previously unknown words that I find in books I'm reading. I try to use them in a sentence but some of them are so obscure I can't find a sensible way, (I'm re-reading Reginald Hill's Dalziel and Pascoe series. He sprinkles them liberally). Here are some examples:

haruspical - relating to or having the characteristics of an haruspex.... Hmm...
amanuensis - a literary or artistic assistant, in particular one who takes dictation or copies manuscripts

Glenfinnan Tue 28-Mar-23 12:09:14

Today I learned that if you subscribe/download a national newspaper on your iPhone then it has an audible option! Marvellous for my DH who has ARMD . Voice is a bit robotic but still good.

Sooze58 Tue 28-Mar-23 12:11:59

Well I never, k didn’t know and just looked it up!

win Tue 28-Mar-23 12:19:16

That is because it was a warm day Callistemon21, I had lots too in the conservatory. Do you have a farm nearby? They make such a mess on my blinds, I loath them.

Daddima Tue 28-Mar-23 12:23:42

Nanna8, I heard that the noise a lobster makes is not a scream, but is steam being forced out of the shell. I still don’t want to hear it though!

And I only recently learned that owls have long skinny legs.

Treetops05 Tue 28-Mar-23 13:27:00

Lizzypopbottle - I was an amanuensis, schools, colleges and universities use them in exams for students with ßpecial educational needs. Might help with your sentences ;)

Treetops05 Tue 28-Mar-23 13:27:42

Sorry, no idea where that symbol appeared from - I meant special...

grandtanteJE65 Tue 28-Mar-23 13:56:10

Callistemon21

I learnt that, as soon as the clocks go forward, the flies come out. They must hatch out on the first sunny day.

Poor you!

Here as soon as the clocks were put forward it started snowing, so we haven't any flies yet.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 28-Mar-23 13:58:18

Treetops05

Sorry, no idea where that symbol appeared from - I meant special...

You probably pressed the "s" too long, and got the German double s as a result.

Silverlady333 Tue 28-Mar-23 13:59:17

lizzypopbottle

I don't/won't eat anything with more than four legs or fewer than two (although I do eat certain fish). I think it's my mother's ingrained example of shuddering at the sight of insects, spiders, slugs and worms. I'm not scared of them, although I do have a slight aversion to spiders if they invade my home, but eating them doesn't appeal so no lobster, crab, prawns, shrimps, hard shell shellfish, or crawdads etc. I remember, with a mother-like shudder, my grandad eating cockles from a jar, with a pin. I also remember the rotten, dead crabs my children used to present after finding them washed up on the beach. The way marine pollution is going, I'm probably quite sensible.

OP I look up definitions of previously unknown words that I find in books I'm reading. I try to use them in a sentence but some of them are so obscure I can't find a sensible way, (I'm re-reading Reginald Hill's Dalziel and Pascoe series. He sprinkles them liberally). Here are some examples:

haruspical - relating to or having the characteristics of an haruspex.... Hmm...
amanuensis - a literary or artistic assistant, in particular one who takes dictation or copies manuscripts

haruspex
noun
noun: haruspex; plural noun: haruspices

(in ancient Rome) a religious official who interpreted omens by inspecting the entrails of sacrificial animals.

Nice! Not!

rowyn Tue 28-Mar-23 14:19:56

I've today learned that my puzzle/worry/frustration about all the clocks in the house going wrong was because no one reminded me that the clocks should be put forward this weekend!

DiW1 Tue 28-Mar-23 14:22:33

I learnt what the word “Contrapposta” means
( to stand with one leg bent forward at the knee and your weight on the other leg). Lots of statutes do this

Mollygo Tue 28-Mar-23 14:51:56

I learned that a blue butterfly larva can trick its way into an ant colony and eat its hosts as a thank you.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Mar-23 14:59:02

grandtanteJE65

Callistemon21

I learnt that, as soon as the clocks go forward, the flies come out. They must hatch out on the first sunny day.

Poor you!

Here as soon as the clocks were put forward it started snowing, so we haven't any flies yet.

All disappeared into the crocodile now - sorry, the Dyson!

It's the bees next, they make a beeline (sorry) for the conservatory and I try to rescue every one.

Callistemon21 Tue 28-Mar-23 14:59:26

Mollygo

I learned that a blue butterfly larva can trick its way into an ant colony and eat its hosts as a thank you.

Yes, wasn't that brilliant!!