Gransnet forums

Chat

Insomnia - What works, what doesn't, for you ?

(104 Posts)
AnnieGurt Mon 27-Mar-23 00:59:18

The Curse of Insomnia will be familiar to so many ladies after menopause.
I've been tracking foods and activities to see what promotes sleep for me, and what aggravates the insomnia.

I'm an easy-to-sleep, waking at 1-2 and unable to get back to sleep, type of insomniac.
However, too much alcohol, any white potatoes, tomatoes and various other foods, can prevent ANY sleep.
Beefsteak, on the other hand, and cooked vegetables, can help me get a few hours.

What's your observation and experience ?

joycerousselot123 Mon 01-May-23 14:45:57

I don't know if it's OK to post links but here goes : www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-hygiene/healthy-sleep-tips?
www.sleepfoundation.org/sleep-aids/natural-sleep-aids
Coziest bedroom
www.healthline.com/health/healthy-sleep/ultimate-guide-for-turning-your-bedroom-into-a-sleep-sanctuary
And finally, if nothing works, this might : Sleep deprivation www.healthline.com/health/sleep-deprivation/sleep-deprivation-stages#timeline

joycerousselot123 Mon 01-May-23 14:42:34

You obviously have the patience of a saint. One thing you mentioned at the beginning or your posts was about moods and depression. Is it possible your Dad has bipolar disorder. Doctors often misdiagnose as depression or insomnia. Maybe check this out :
www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qir8-ncvBA

NanKate Tue 25-Apr-23 17:54:21

Recently my DS downloaded on my iPhone the Insight Timer app. It is free, but you can buy add ons. I now listen to some great nighttime meditations that get me off to sleep. Andrew Johnson has a particularly soft soporific Scottish accent which lulls me to sleep. When I wake in the night I listen to his 15 minute Back to Sleep meditation which works most of the time. Do give it a go.

MrsKen33 Mon 24-Apr-23 16:33:50

A bit of outdoor exercise in the day, plus a few more carbohydrates, seems to give me 7-8 hours sleep ; but I do wake once or twice.
On a bad night I can wake and wait for 2 hours before going back to sleep.
I do eat a low carb diet so haven’t worked out how to get around that yet. I do it to keep my blood sugar manageable.

Shel69 Mon 24-Apr-23 16:19:34

Southtown, me too if I don't wear bedsocks, I now have knee length ones and they work even better

overthehill Mon 24-Apr-23 09:33:57

I've tried this and it has worked for 8 nights in a row so far.
Eat 2 kiwi fruit an hour before bed. It is proven to help and it has.

Eloethan Tue 11-Apr-23 21:50:59

For people who are unable to sleep for no discernible reason, I read an article written by a woman who slept intermittently through the night - waking every one or two hours and then having difficulty getting back to sleep - only to wake again one or two hours later. She reported that she had tried all sorts of suggested remedies, including hypnotherapy, to no avail. What worked for her was some sort of "white noise" box that relaxed her and enabled her to sleep through the night.

I should think this might not work for people who are unable to sleep through worry or grief. I hope that people who are experiencing this will, with time, be able to get some relief.

Ginny42 Sat 01-Apr-23 06:28:39

Imiesgranma I'm usually awake in the early hours and on a 'night owls' thread.
Why not talk to your GP about your difficulty sleeping? I don't expect your family are getting much sleep either.

flowers xx

FannyCornforth Fri 31-Mar-23 03:23:31

Imiesgranma I’m so sorry to hear this. Yes, Maybee is right, you need something for anxiety.
There’s usually one of us around in the middle of the night if you want some company.
Look for a ‘night owl’ thread.
thanks x

crazyH Fri 31-Mar-23 01:52:17

kies granma flowers

MayBee70 Fri 31-Mar-23 00:29:34

Ikiesgranma

I found out that my sarcoma (an aggressive and rare cancer) had returned three weeks ago and it’s inoperable. The whole family are devastated and I’ve barely slept since. I’ve always been a poor sleeper but this is on another level.

I’m so very sorry to hear this. It’s no wonder you can’t sleep. Might it be an idea to get some sleeping tablets from your doctor x

AnotherLiz Thu 30-Mar-23 23:03:16

When I wake up during the night I listen to sleep music on a meditation app, Insight Timer. It’s free to use, although donations can be made. I also find a couple of meditation tracks help me to go back to sleep. I would recommend it, although I know not everyone (including my husband) is comfortable wearing in ear buds or equivalent - I use AirPods.

Ikiesgranma Thu 30-Mar-23 20:53:15

I found out that my sarcoma (an aggressive and rare cancer) had returned three weeks ago and it’s inoperable. The whole family are devastated and I’ve barely slept since. I’ve always been a poor sleeper but this is on another level.

undines Thu 30-Mar-23 16:34:31

Bless you Esmay you must be a lovely person. I do hope you're getting some respite. Your dad is so lucky to have you to look after him - remember, you matter too!
As for insomnia, well I thought I was having a few problems (mainly getting up to wee every two or three hours, although I get back to sleep immediately) but now I've read what others say I'm feeling fortunate! caffeine is a no-no and decaff has about 20% caffeine in it as well as often being treated by chemicals, so not that either and no tea after 3pm. A glass of goat's milk, (intolerant to cow) a good book, some 'mindful' music on really low, maybe and everything the right temperature and smelling of lavender. Mmm! Two large glasses of wine also work but often result in a headache. Having said all of that, I think worrying about sleep is the latest health fad and it's the worst possible thing for sleep!

Jaxjacky Thu 30-Mar-23 15:59:03

Southdowns magnésium spray has sorted MrJ’s nighttime leg cramps.

effalump Thu 30-Mar-23 15:06:49

I take a magnesium bis-glycinate tablet before bed and wash it down with a small glass of water with about 5 drops of ashwagandh tincture in it. Since using the tincture I no longer wake up about 3-3.30 as I used to. I also feel calmer on waking.

Esmay Thu 30-Mar-23 14:12:58

Hi Everyone ,
A big thank you for all your kind suggestions and sympathy .

My father is really living on borrowed time .
At least , the GP surgery are being very nice towards me .
I've tried pretty much everything with him .
He has a history of being really difficult .
Carers ( can't begin to cope with his skin condition ) and nurses ( I've had to teach them and it doesn't go down well at times) get fed up with him - he's so insulting and offensive - that's what worries me .

I have a network of supportive friends . Up until early last year - so for six years - I could rely on my neighbour and her three daughters .
They were only too pleased to help .
The girls appreciated the payments .
Now they are all working full time and he's much sicker and more difficult .
I can still call the one , who is a paramedic and she's been great .

I'm still looking around for someone that can understand his complex mental and physical problems .
Even if he initially likes them and cooperates it won't last long .
The last nurse turned out to be a chronic alcoholic.
I've found a companion for him ,but she doesn't do nappies and it is revolting .
I'm managing at the moment .
I don't pretend to be a Saint !
If I really couldn't manage then he'll have to go into care .
His decline is the saddest thing that I've ever witnessed .

Farmor15 Thu 30-Mar-23 10:00:11

The breathing technique mentioned by Tamayra a few post up, works for me often enough. But I just breathe in slowly as I count to 10, hold for about 10, and breathe out as slowly as possible. I try not to breathe in again for a few seconds. Repeat a few times. I usually fall asleep easily but wake in the middle of the night, but having tried lots of things, the breathing can help me get back to sleep.

Grammaretto Thu 30-Mar-23 08:18:49

Esmay flowers
That must be so hard.
The problem with insomnia is you wake up tired after a short snooze, and are tired all day.
I've had breakfast and should be full of energy but would just like to sit here on the couch.
The dreich weather doesn't help.

Sara1954 Thu 30-Mar-23 06:30:12

I was feeling sorry for myself till I read you post Esmay, I don’t know how you cope at all, it sounds horrendous.
I sleep reasonably well, waking fairly frequently, but dropping off again, for about four nights in a row, then I have a night like last night, wake just after one, by two decide I’m wide awake, get up, make nighttime tea and read for an hour, go back to bed, still can’t sleep, drop off eventually, and the alarm goes off at 5.45.
I think if I wasn’t working it wouldn’t stress me so much, but I drag myself through the day, feeling like I’ve got a massive hangover.
God, I wish I knew the answer, I’ve tried everything, and nothing has worked, no specific foods seem to make any difference, it can’t be the moon, it’s too frequent.
I lie in bed, and remember when I’m at work, feeling terrible, hardly able to keep my eyes open, how I long to be in my bed, and here I am, snug and warm completely unable to sleep.
I would pay good money for the cure.

Tamayra Thu 30-Mar-23 05:13:44

www.cnn.com/2022/09/16/health/4-7-8-breathing-technique-relaxing-wellness/index.html

AnnieGurt Thu 30-Mar-23 05:05:03

Sounds like you’ve got your answer!!

Ginny42 Thu 30-Mar-23 04:34:39

I wish Grammaretto! I've accepted wakefulness and just begin my day whenever that may be. I have taken a magnesium tablet every night for years, so not sure whether without it I would have even less sleep. I never catnap, unless ill. I just keep going through the day. I think I just need little sleep.

Grammaretto Thu 30-Mar-23 02:55:39

Are you all asleep?

GrannyRose15 Thu 30-Mar-23 00:43:59

A combination of herbal sleeping tablets, sour cherry juice and weighted blanket helps me sleep better than I have for years.