Gransnet forums

Chat

How much do you spend on your pets?

(57 Posts)
Cabbie21 Mon 27-Mar-23 16:25:23

An acquaintance told me that last year she spent over
£6 000 on vets bills for her cats. I think she has two or three.
I was stunned, my jaw dropped.
I just thought about people who have nothing or very little to live on, those who are homeless, or the Ukrainian people.
I said nothing as it is not my business how she spends her money, but I can't get it out of my mind.
Now I wonder how much other people spend on their pets.

Delila Thu 30-Mar-23 11:11:44

Thank you Fanny.

Shel69 Thu 30-Mar-23 07:39:51

I have pet insurance for my dog, he was bought for my autistic grandson, we lost our beloved dog after 16 years we we heartbroken, this type of dog could have health problems which we didn't know about, didn't research unfortunately though he is a perfect companion for ds that's what we researched, so he's insured, and worth every penny of anything we pay out for him, he's a blessing to us

Lauren59 Thu 30-Mar-23 06:20:03

I spend at least £325 a month on my dog and cats. That includes insurance for the dog. In addition, I give to animal rescue charities. I love animals and they are worth everything I spend and more. People who think they’re not worth time, effort or money are the kind of people who abandon them. All of my pets were adopted as adults when they were no longer wanted.

FannyCornforth Thu 30-Mar-23 05:41:50

Maya, Lucy and Delila so sorry thanks

I’ve just worked out that I spend about £2,500 a year on my dog and cat.
Insurance (PetPlan), food and grooming

Anniel Wed 29-Mar-23 23:49:42

My little Marcus is my life’s companion. We are inseparable and what I spend on his food and any vet bill and on his grooming is my business. I adore my dog. We are always together and he sleeps in my bedroom. If I go out he greets my return as though I have been gone 6 months. I also am a dog advocate and spend as much as I can to donate to Rescues who take dogs dumped by rotten owners. Dogs are our best friend and we should remember that.

Delila Wed 29-Mar-23 23:39:48

So sorry, LucyW, I feel for you. We lost our beloved little dog this evening. The house feels empty, doesn’t it?

No, we never begrudged anything spent on her - she was worth it. She was a constant companion, night and day, for fourteen years & made us laugh every day. What more could you ask?

LucyW Wed 29-Mar-23 21:17:50

I lost my much loved old dog this week. He was pts sleep here at home with my son and I by his side. Vet fees are expensive but he gave me nearly 15 yrs of companionship and love so I feel he was well worth every penny. He was the last of the dogs my late husband and I chose and for the first time in 32 yrs there is no dog happy to greet me when I come home. He was a member of the family and I would have given anything to have kept him. Miss him terribly. I am sure pet lovers will know exactly how I feel.

Iam64 Wed 29-Mar-23 19:03:44

Mayal, please forgive predictive text

Iam64 Wed 29-Mar-23 19:02:57

Natal, I had not realised your husband is so ill in hospital for so long. To loose your lovely dog during this time is so hard x

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 29-Mar-23 18:16:36

It will sort itself out Maya. I remember your husband in my prayers each night, I hope that doesn’t offend. I remember that Finn was especially your dog, you slept with him and he would only go out with you. He is at peace now.

2507C0 Wed 29-Mar-23 17:29:54

People love their animals and they are responsible for their wellbeing. Why wouldn’t you spend money making them well and comfortable? What do you suggest as an alternative? What about all the money spent on wars, weapons, roads, cars, plane travel adding to the pollution of our planet? People who but artwork for thousands and thousands of pounds. People who have holiday homes? Jewellery and watches, not to mention clothes and even trainers costing thousands. What do you say about that?

Maya1 Wed 29-Mar-23 17:22:24

Thank you GSM for your kind words, I know you have been through the same thing as have others.
My DH didn't get the chance to say goodbye to Finn as he has been seriously ill in hospital since January.
It just feels so hopeless at the moment.

Chardy Wed 29-Mar-23 17:17:48

This thread got me thinking about why people have pets.
Dogs - company, security, exercise
Cats - companionship
I think they also keep a person in touch with the world. If there wasn't anything interesting to eat in my house, I'd cobble something together for me. But if I run out of dog or cat food, I'd have to go out to the shops. Likewise, as I have to take the dog for a walk, I have to get up, get dressed, go out.
So add mental health to my list if reasons for having a cat or a dog

Germanshepherdsmum Wed 29-Mar-23 17:04:06

Maya1

We spent an absolute fortune on Finn, even though we had insurance. He had complex medical problems and l tried natural remedies as well as our near monthly vet visits.
All our available money was spent on him and we were happy to do so. We had 11 wonderful years with him, he gave us unconditional love and was my best buddy. We said goodbye to him 3 weeks ago and every night l still think l hear him breathing. I miss him so much.

So sorry Maya. I know you were devoted to Finn, and he to you. You did everything possible to give him the best life. We lost our previous girl a year ago today. Eventually we found space in our hearts for another rescue. The heart seems to have infinite capacity for love.💐

Jaibee12 Wed 29-Mar-23 16:41:26

I’m about to spend £4,000 or so on one of our dogs who needs surgery. I do have insurance which will cover some of it. It’s really up to me what I do with my money and I certainly have no guilt about not giving it to charity. Why should I feel guilty about the lifestyle of others, I’ve worked all my life to fund myself and never asked for anything.

Hetty58 Wed 29-Mar-23 16:34:07

I spend an awful lot (haven't counted) on the very best food for my pets. My dog has her nails manicured fortnightly (I don't) and regular check ups etc. to ensure her comfort.

I don't drink or have a car, don't holiday any more, make regular charity donations - so I defend my right to spend on what I wish.

Hithere Wed 29-Mar-23 16:21:24

As much as needed to keep them happy and healthy

Having pets is a luxury - but so rewarding if it can be afforded

Maya1 Wed 29-Mar-23 16:12:23

We spent an absolute fortune on Finn, even though we had insurance. He had complex medical problems and l tried natural remedies as well as our near monthly vet visits.
All our available money was spent on him and we were happy to do so. We had 11 wonderful years with him, he gave us unconditional love and was my best buddy. We said goodbye to him 3 weeks ago and every night l still think l hear him breathing. I miss him so much.

Norah Wed 29-Mar-23 14:09:02

missdeke

If you take on pets then you are responsible for their care, and high medical bills could be a part of that care. You will always have the choice to either pay for insurance or not, but if you choose not to, be prepared to pay for their care. If you can't afford a big bill or insurance then don't take on the responsibility of a pet.

That ^ right there.

We've absolutely no interest at all in saving money on our pets. Material things like our home/ kitchen will see us out. Apart from actual needs, which we are very fortunate to be able to cover - family and pets are our priorities.

missdeke Wed 29-Mar-23 13:31:06

If you take on pets then you are responsible for their care, and high medical bills could be a part of that care. You will always have the choice to either pay for insurance or not, but if you choose not to, be prepared to pay for their care. If you can't afford a big bill or insurance then don't take on the responsibility of a pet.

Knittyintrovert Wed 29-Mar-23 11:40:53

Blondiescot I totally agree! People spend such a lot of money on absolute trash and things they look at for a few minutes and then put them away never to retrieve.. a pet is part of a family or someone’s only family and they deserve to be treated and cared for as we would expect a human being to be taken care of! At least that money was used for a good purpose instead of vanity or greed.

Fleurpepper Tue 28-Mar-23 15:21:57

Same here Norah- the new kitchen will not happen, but who cares.

HeavenLeigh Tue 28-Mar-23 15:00:46

Don’t even add up what we spend on our cats and dogs, they are very well cared for and our world, part of the family it’s never occurred to us to sit down and count out what we spend.

Rosalyn69 Tue 28-Mar-23 14:55:08

Our pets are our family too. They have insurance. We treat them like family. I am however on first names terms with the veterinary team. 😁

Norah Tue 28-Mar-23 14:47:02

Cabbie21

Thanks for replies. As I said, I was stunned: not having any pets, I had no idea.
Yes, my thoughts did immediately go to the many clients who are really struggling, that I have supported as a voluntary advice worker, hence my reaction. I guess my post might come across to some as judgemental, but my question was genuine, as I had no idea what the costs might be. I am sorry if it offended some people.

I didn't feel any judgement. You merely asked a reasonable question. And that's fine, IMO. Well done you being sensitive.

Our pets are family. Whatever they cost is what they cost.

No insurance, we pay for routine shots and I make their food. Unfortunately one was attacked by a wild dog and the result was £4,000 bill. She's alive and can walk again, and that's what we prayed for.

We've a very old kitchen and I've been told the costs of our dogs would pay for new. No, this kitchen will see us out - we choose dogs.