Gransnet forums

Chat

Covid

(192 Posts)
Nanderin Wed 29-Mar-23 05:59:39

Hi 3yrs avoided covid and yesterday we tested positive for covid. Feeling not well at all.

MadeInYorkshire Mon 10-Apr-23 20:49:57

Grantanow

When is the next booster due for oldies?

Now in my area, my mum was called the other day

NanaDana Mon 10-Apr-23 16:57:31

Touch wood, DH and I have avoided it so far, perhaps because we're both classified as vulnerable so have had seven vaccinations each. We've also been careful throughout. However, we have several friends and family members who've caught it recently, and it almost seems that the virus is sweeping up some of those it's missed to date. Hope we stay in the clear, as it's a nasty one, and seems to keep mutating. Are we stuck with it? I do hope not.

farview Mon 10-Apr-23 16:45:51

Had covid for 8/9 days...been negative since last Wednesday...have absolutely zilch energy...had covid in March 22 also but wasn't as poorly as I've been this time...also had four jabs...think this time, it was brought back from overseas by daughters in laws....

MayBee70 Mon 10-Apr-23 16:02:52

Immunity via the Covid vaccine seems to be very short lived unfortunately. As is immunity from having it. Thank goodness it has become less dangerous or I dread to think where we would be now. DH’s son said he felt ill for a couple of days but is ok now. I thought from how he spoke that he was seriously from it this time so it’s quite a relief.

pooohbear2811 Thu 06-Apr-23 18:04:26

so sorry that it has got you after all this time. don't think it is ever going away.

Marydoll Thu 06-Apr-23 16:57:27

I have had three monthly vaccinations, because I'm immunocompromised, not six monthly. For this I am very grateful.

Farzanah Thu 06-Apr-23 16:05:31

That’s a really interesting question rosie1958.

As far as I’m aware, flu is seasonal, dependent on certain temperature and humidity, ie in the winter in U.K.

So far coronavirus doesn’t appear to be seasonal in the same way, and may be around permanently, but I don’t think there’s yet definite scientific proof, but I may be wrong?
Present covid vaccine protection appears to wane after around 6 months.

rosie1959 Thu 06-Apr-23 12:28:27

Wonder why it is you have a flu booster once a year but the Covid one seems to be handed out every 6 months or so to certain age groups.
I do not fall into these age groups so not something I have to consider for myself

Norah Thu 06-Apr-23 11:21:04

Nanderin

Yes maybee70 I know what you mean . Really worrying.

Agreed. Very worrying.

I'm quite happy none of us have had Covid. Booster time.

Callistemon21 Thu 06-Apr-23 10:57:18

We're due another vaccine this month.

I did wonder how long immunity from having Covid would last; we had it in the autumn.

maddyone Thu 06-Apr-23 10:27:28

I wonder if it’s because immunity is waning after the autumn boosters. The best immunity is for the first six months after the last booster.

Nanderin Thu 06-Apr-23 10:10:49

Yes maybee70 I know what you mean . Really worrying.

MayBee70 Wed 05-Apr-23 23:06:49

DH has just spoken to his son who says he has come down with covid for the second time and has been really sick this time round. Having dropped my guard recently it’s really freaked me out.

Callistemon21 Tue 04-Apr-23 11:28:06

maddyone

Yes, thanks Daisymae.
The subject of Covid does seem to be being reported on the news rather more lately.

It's difficult to be specific about numbers without testing and reporting but I heard from a reputable source in Devon that cases in the Torbay area were about 1 in 14.

maddyone Tue 04-Apr-23 11:26:26

Yes, thanks Daisymae.
The subject of Covid does seem to be being reported on the news rather more lately.

volver3 Tue 04-Apr-23 09:11:39

Daisymae

volver3

Cases are not the "highest so far. "

Why do you say that?

Missed out the crucial bit - cases are the highest so far this year.

Thank you for coming back to clarify that Daisymae.

rosie1959 Tue 04-Apr-23 08:46:54

Nanderin

Still showing positive this morning to strong lines. I tested last Tues when will they go . ☹️

First time I had Covid took around 10 days to get a negative. The second time about 5 days so a bit of a lottery

Nanderin Tue 04-Apr-23 08:09:48

Still showing positive this morning to strong lines. I tested last Tues when will they go . ☹️

Nanderin Mon 03-Apr-23 09:05:29

Hi Yammy how are things with you I am still coughing and blocked nose on and off . Still feeling feeling tiredness.

Marydoll Sun 02-Apr-23 10:31:58

I received a text today calling me for my seventh vaccination. I will certainly be taking them up on it!

Yammy Sun 02-Apr-23 09:53:29

Thanks, Naderin for your good wishes. He is developing more of the symptoms as time goes on, now he can't taste anything he has gone deaf and I'm tempted to add daft. He is acting out of character shouting about nothing and speaking aggressively and he is usually full of fun.
I generally feel grotty but do not want to waste one of the few tests we have left so I will wait until later in the week. The DD say they are still coming to see us but neither of us has the energy to cope. I will put my foot down and cancel if we are the same later in the week.
I hope you are starting to feel better. For some reason, I never expected it we have kept ourselves almost isolated all this time.

aggie Sun 02-Apr-23 09:48:03

I got a letter from the local practise yesterday , asking me to make an appointment for the spring booster , they are doing them on Tuesday and Wednesday
The thing is , I had to ring for advice last week and couldn’t even get in the queue ! It took 30 minutes of redialling to get to be 49th in the queue, I started ringing at 8.30 and it was an hour before I got to talk to the receptionist, then I had to stay in all day waiting for the Doctor to ring , it was after 4pm when I got my call
So I hope I don’t have to wait as long to get my appointment time for Tuesday

Marydoll Sun 02-Apr-23 09:33:44

Primrose53

Allsorts

I along with other people I know, have not felt well for ages, five vacinations and two positive tests for Covud have left me with a permanent hoarse voice and aches and pains, I just feel unwell but seeing a doctor is impossible. Covid is here to stay and we can't keep having jabs for every strain as its milder now.

And it looks like 5 injections were of no use if you caught covid twice.

Most injections stop you getting an illness but not the covid jab.

Covid injections do not, stop you getting Covid, they are meant lessen the effects and severity.

I caught Covid after five injections. Being immunocompromised, I would have probably died, if I hadn't been immunised and given anti virals in hospital.
I am thankful they did the job they were supposed to do.

Primrose53 Sun 02-Apr-23 09:26:42

Allsorts

I along with other people I know, have not felt well for ages, five vacinations and two positive tests for Covud have left me with a permanent hoarse voice and aches and pains, I just feel unwell but seeing a doctor is impossible. Covid is here to stay and we can't keep having jabs for every strain as its milder now.

And it looks like 5 injections were of no use if you caught covid twice.

Most injections stop you getting an illness but not the covid jab.

Allsorts Sun 02-Apr-23 06:22:11