Gransnet forums

Chat

Drying the washing.

(240 Posts)
Caramme Wed 29-Mar-23 10:40:31

It’s overcast here in N Cheshire this morning but I have risked putting my washing out on the line. Fingers crossed it will dry as I am fed up with damp stuff hanging around in my spare bedroom. These days my neighbour, also in her early 70s, and I are the only people who do actually hang washing outside. I assume others use tumble driers but I am wary of the costs of running these.
Last summer, one of my new neighbours who had just moved into a new build semi next-door-but-one said, ‘Oh yes, you’re the lady who puts her washing outside. My gran used to do that, but it doesn’t look very nice does it? No one wants to look at someone else’s washing. And it’s unhygienic.’ I was rendered speechless. Perhaps that was my first experience of passive aggression. She has ignored me ever since. For the record I do not ever put underwear on the line and my garden is relatively private. It upset me at the time as it was so unfriendly. I dried everything indoors for the rest of the year. I am wondering if I am doing the right thing by starting to dry my washing outside once more. It is just unacceptable these days?

jerseygirl Fri 31-Mar-23 20:20:53

How Rude!! You continue to hang your washing outside, Put underwear on a twirly peg thing. I hang my washing out as soon as the weather is fit enough. Not only does it smell nice and fresh it saves on the leccy too. Ignore your snobby neighbour. Oh and its not unhygenic either.

Washerwoman Fri 31-Mar-23 20:26:20

Ignore your neighbour
Totally ridiculous. I hang out washing whenever I can - even in the winter. My neighbours can't see it as our garden is private.One of them told me she tumble dries everything because she doesn't want bird poo on her washing. I don't think that's ever happened to mine and I love the smell of outdoor dried laundry.

knspol Fri 31-Mar-23 20:27:15

I don't often hang out washing and never hang out undies but having comments like that from your neighbour would make me want to hang outside everyday. Totally rude and plain nonsense.

jerseygirl Fri 31-Mar-23 20:29:19

I remember a couple of years ago, i was sitting outside as it was a glorious day. I had 2 lines of washing out and i was listening to my next door neighbour's tumble dryer going round and round. I don't know how they afford the electric. What a waste. Thankfully they have moved now but i never saw any washing hanging outside.

sunglow12 Fri 31-Mar-23 20:31:21

Oh course you must hang your washing outside when the weather is nice . It’s very good to air it in the sun and breeze . We always hang ours out if we can - knickers , bras , pants and all ! Much better for the environment than using an expensive tumble drier . 😊

Sallywally1 Fri 31-Mar-23 20:50:06

The smell of sheets and duvet covers dried outside in the sun is one of my favourites. Ignore the neighbour! I once had a complaint years ago when we all used Terry nappies about them being hung out to dry. The man said they spoilt his view! Being a wimp I said sorry and henceforth at great inconvenience tried to dry them inside not easy in a one bedroom flat with no central heating or tumble drier. They shortly had a baby of their own……..mine were out of nappies by then!

JACQUE100 Fri 31-Mar-23 20:56:17

My most favourite thing is to hang out my washing first thing in the morning. Always checking weather forecast previous day. I love sorting my whites from coloureds etc.
After using clothes prop, I then walk around garden usually in my dressing gown. There is nothing more satisfying than looking at that line of full of washing blowing in the breeze.

Tanjamaltija Fri 31-Mar-23 21:32:11

...as if someone is going to tell me when, where, and how I dry my washing.

pinkjj27 Fri 31-Mar-23 22:04:16

It is not only acceptable it is very sustainable, you carry on. Unhygienic my eye. By not speaking to you, she is doing you a favour. I would have her hung her out to dry.

Callistemon21 Fri 31-Mar-23 22:05:51

No, carry on drying it outside.
It's more environmentally friendly.

She has ignored me ever since.
I will be polite and say just as well.

Buy a pack of lacy thongs and hang them out even if you never wear them 🙂

ileea Fri 31-Mar-23 22:20:42

I wish I still had my clothesline ro hang clothes outside.
Not sure where the unhygienic comment came from. When I was doing cloth diapers I always hung them outside for the sun to give them a proper bleaching.
I would continue to hang my clothes and I'd also hang all my unmentionables as well.
I might even borrow some extras from friends.

Mollygo Fri 31-Mar-23 22:45:02

Callistemon21!🤣🤣🤣

Callistemon21 Fri 31-Mar-23 22:49:12

eileea even after soaking and a hot wash nappies might still have a stubborn stain or two but the sun would always bleach it out!

Of course, most of us would be wearing them anyway Mollygo 😂
Well, not me, I call them cheese cutters!

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 31-Mar-23 22:52:19

When there's a chance my washing could dry, I hang it out bras an all. It's more hygienic getting bleached by the sun. My tumble dryer doesn't work very well and I'm not considering replacing it anytime soon. In fact I noticed my neighbour started hanging her washing out as well!

Mallin Sat 01-Apr-23 01:48:08

I recall reading that Elvis Presley’s mother was asked not to hang out washing to dry when he first bought Graceland.
I also remember wondering why a man with so much money had bought a house where neighbours could see what was going on close to it.
Incidentally, I use a tumbler dryer. It means that I don’t have to iron most things.

hollysteers Sat 01-Apr-23 02:05:36

Take a good look at her house and garden, find something amiss or something you dislike and at the first opportunity, have a scathing sarcastic remark up your sleeve to even things up.
Tricky if she’s not speaking to you, but watch out for your moment 👍

Nannan2 Sat 01-Apr-23 03:39:28

Hang outside whenever weather allows it- i would.when i do i peg 2 prs undies together=1 peg so not really visible to first glances- i sometimes cant peg up due to arthritis but mostly i would but find more & more folk ruin a good drying day by lighting blooming bonfires or barbeques! Idiots! My neighbour has stuff out when she can- an older lady about 80- its a young person thing is not hanging them out- lazy probably😅

Nannan2 Sat 01-Apr-23 03:41:09

Yes i'd have just had to put that young lady in her place i'm afraid!😂

hilz Sat 01-Apr-23 08:40:19

For goodness sake what a dreadful comment. Hang your washing out with pride, underwear as well. Nothing beats the smell of freshly laundered bedding and clothing dried outside. Healthier too not to have all that moisture indoors causing damp issues and mould. Honestly made me cross to hear that your neighbour commented on hanging a bit of washing out. How very dare she.

Yammy Sat 01-Apr-23 09:15:26

I hang my washing out whenever I can as d my neighbours.I do try to hang the underwater where it cannot be seen but my neighbour hangs all her sexy underwear for all to see. She is next to a public footpath so anyone can see it.
My DD who lived in the States says they did not hang washing out and had industrial-sized tumblers in their basement.
Pity you can't get an old fashioned corset from a charity shop and as Georges's gran says an old fashioned pair of bloomers. I would have said to her how pleasant it was to meet friendly new neighbours.

Foxygloves Sat 01-Apr-23 09:26:31

Unbelievable!
(As is “hiding” your undercrackers!) gringrin

Cossy Sat 01-Apr-23 10:17:36

Your neighbour is obviously completely mad !! And rude !! And wrong !! grin

Cossy Sat 01-Apr-23 10:23:08

PS go and buy/steal/borrow the driest most outrageous lingerie you can find and hang it out high and proud every day for a week !!

Cossy Sat 01-Apr-23 10:26:06

Sorry sexiest not driest haha stupid auto-correct !!

Curlywhirly Sat 01-Apr-23 11:55:26

I really can't understand the comments about pegging out underware where it can't be seen - go in any supermarket/department store and there's underware galore on show. Unless it's underware you are embarrassed to wear (very racy/huge bloomers) I can't see the problem.