Gransnet forums

Chat

Believable dreams

(68 Posts)
Doodledog Thu 30-Mar-23 00:27:25

This is going to sound strange, but please bear with me? Do you ever have dreams which are untrue but very believable?

Yesterday morning I 'remembered' a time in the recent past when I took up smoking. I could picture the cigarettes in my bag (packs of 10, which I don't know if you can still buy?) and a gold lighter. I couldn't picture actually smoking one, or remember giving up, but I was absolutely certain that I had been a regular but temporary smoker in the past couple of years or so.

I have asthma, which has relapsed badly of late - there is no chance that I would take up smoking. Not only that, but I hardly left the house during Covid, and am not exactly painting the town red now, so where I would have gone to smoke them is a mystery.

I assume I dreamt about it, but I don't remember the dream, and it was later in the morning that the 'memory' came to me.

Has anyone else had an experience like that? It was most odd.

MissAdventure Sat 03-Feb-24 20:11:48

I once went and woke my daughter up, told her we were going to the seaside for the day, and I had sorted it out with the school. She went off to the bathroom and took her swimming costume to put on under her clothes, and I went to make sandwiches.

As I was making them, it slowly dawned on me that we weren't going anywhere, the arrangements had all been a dream.

It was awful telling my daughter not to bother with her costume, and to just get ready for school.

She cried, and I've often thought I should have just taken her to the seaside.

TurtleDove Sat 03-Feb-24 19:50:09

I also dream of things that seem real but on waking up I can still remember them but are not true. i.e. I dreamed I was with my late husband at a car show and we bought a vivid blue car, then the car was stolen and we reported it. We have never had a car stolen or a vivid blue one. Weird.

Labradora Sat 03-Feb-24 19:44:39

JaneJudge , I think that that's a "coping dream" so that the rising waters from which you constantly have to move to higher ground might be your busy life that you have to "stay on top of".
Might make sense ? Only you know the context

harrigran Thu 01-Feb-24 10:57:08

I used to dream about being back in the family home walking from room to room. The people that live in the house now have reconfigured it and built extensions so when I arrive there I am turned away on the doorstep.
My sister has similar dreams and she says she is being turned away at the door too, we are beginning to wonder whether we are haunting the house 😁

Spuddy Thu 01-Feb-24 10:35:40

In reality I absolutely hate any sort of coffee in any shape or form, including in food, I just won't touch it. The look smell and taste makes me gag and I don't like the word ''coffee'' either. It was awkward when I worked in cafe's and restaurants having to serve it to customers and I constantly reeked of it.

In this dream I was absolutely nuts on it and was guzzling one huge mug after another, I don't know what sort it was or the brand. That day, back in reality, I actually went out and bought a box, thankfully didn't open it, but all day, including when I was at work, I felt really strange, like I was in a different dimension.

I gave the box to my hubby as he likes it but it made me wonder if ''the dimension'' was where I'd not fully woken up that morning and the dream carried on while I was awake!

biglouis Thu 01-Feb-24 10:35:19

I dream very vividly and have had some very strange situations, Many of them have featured getting lost or trapped somewhere I could not find my way out of.

One involved going shopping with my nephew and finding an antique shop I wanted to visit. I wandered inside while nephew remained outside to have a smoke (he is not an antique buff). I somehow got lost and founf myself in a maze of alleyways behind the shop. It took me an age to find my way back to the street and there was no sign of my nephew. Also the shop had disappeared.

Dreams about being lost or searching for something you've lost usually represent anxiety, arousing confusion, frustration, or even a sense of feeling that you're an outsider.

I probably read too much scifi.

NotSpaghetti Thu 01-Feb-24 10:30:18

Bellanonna - I do, now you remind me of it, remember a dream with a secret room in my home. It was ages ago and I don't normally remember any dreams. I remember looking to see if there was once a doorway there. It was an old farmhouse. No evidence of it!

Tink75 Thu 01-Feb-24 10:27:36

He he you should be so lucky Maybe70!

annodomini Thu 01-Feb-24 10:21:51

When we were children, on our summer holidays we used to go to a beach where there were quite big (but not dangerous) waves and I loved diving through them. But I couldn't open my eyes under water, One night I dreamt that I was swimming through the waves with my eyes open, and the next day I found I was able to do just that.

Doodledog Thu 01-Feb-24 09:35:33

That's a deep one, Nellieknits. It could be about repressing feelings, or it could be that you are working through your thoughts regarding your grandchild - who knows. It sounds like a positive dream, though.

A dream that I occasionally have is where I’m in an extra room in my house, a kind of secret room that I didn’t know we had
I've had that, too. Sometimes more secret rooms lead off the first one, until I'm in a labyrinthine building and don't know where I am.

Nellieknits1944 Thu 01-Feb-24 09:29:48

A couple years ago I had a memory of a long term homosexual relationship (lasting about 15 years) I had with my friend of over 50 years (i am 80 years of age).

But the thing is, I am ashamed to admit, I have not been open to the idea of homosexuality up until around 10 years ago (when my beautiful grandchild came out as genderfluid and bisexual). I no longer Am homophobic but there are still some things I have yet to learn.

I know for sure that I was never engaged in a lesbian relationship with this friend but we were very close. I have since been checked for dementia and the doctors have said I was fine. So is this just a strange dream?

bikergran Thu 01-Feb-24 07:48:21

I often dream I am pedalling a bike up and down lanes and going on motorways. No wonder I wake up with achy legs(I actually do) confused

I do have a pedal bike but not used it for years.

But I am considering an E Bike this year (at least I may not wake up with achy legs) smile

MissAdventure Wed 31-Jan-24 22:59:58

I have dreams of being in a new home, that is a maze of twists and turns, and different levels, with all sorts of different sized and shaped rooms.

Bellanonna Wed 31-Jan-24 22:57:54

A dream that I occasionally have is where I’m in an extra room in my house, a kind of secret room that I didn’t know we had.
I can also find myself in someone else’s house. I know I shouldn’t be there and I’m worried in case they suddenly come back.

I’ve dreamt of workplaces where I can’t find my office and I walk along strange corridors, never able to find my way about

At one time I used to dream I was in a plane which was flying along a road, a few feet off the ground. It’s been a few years since I had that one.

Dreams are so weird.

Gingster Wed 31-Jan-24 08:41:38

I often have dreams about my old house. My friend still lives there next door, so I see it often.

I dream that I still have the key and go round when no one is in and have a nosy round. Usually I’m upstairs and I hear the owners arriving back. 😳. I always wake myself up in a panic. 🤣

Gwyllt Wed 31-Jan-24 08:22:10

I thought I had a memory of walking along a road and stopped at an entrance to a park with sandstone gate post and a path leading away It was autumn as there were dead wet leaves on the floor. I thought it was Newsham park in Liverpool. I don’t know why I thought it I felt I just knew it was was born in Liverpool but not in that area
When I had a hospital appointment in Liverpool a while ago so headed to Newsham park entrance gates. Not the same at all. We drove round at the other gates to no avail
I looked on the net for other parks and nothing anything like the gates in my memory turned up
I have come to the conclusion that my memory was infact a dream
Has any one else had a past dream that they remember as reality

MissAdventure Tue 30-Jan-24 22:12:00

I always believe my dreams, however ludicrous they are.
Flying, being able to jump really high, fighting wild animals, being haunted by a demon.
No wonder I wake up sweating!

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jan-24 22:09:46

Ha ha! Yes, sometimes V3ra - but we both have a laugh and go off to sleep again. Neither of us struggle to sleep, fortunately- but he's obviously much busier than I am at night.

I am so blessed to have him - dreams and all.

V3ra Tue 30-Jan-24 19:53:29

NotSpaghetti your poor hero of a husband must wake up exhausted 😳😴

Franbern Tue 30-Jan-24 18:18:31

When I was in the process of moving, selling my house in London and moving to a flat, 150 miles away in smalltown, I had a dream one night - very real, In that I made that move, lots of detail about it, then went to bed and woke in the morning, knowing I had made a dreadful mistake, When I really woke, all I could think about was should I take this as a warning. Fortunately I did not, and when I finally made that move a few months later, I was happy with it from the first night.

Am remembering my dreams far more these days, than I used to. I woke up sobbing, a couple of mornings ago - I had been dreaming of an accident that had happened to one of my twin baby daughters 48 years ago.

keepcalmandcavachon Tue 30-Jan-24 13:59:40

Having moved years ago away from my home county, I'd wake up from a dream of moving back and be engulfed in longing. It was dreadfully unsettling and the sadness lasted days. Five years we 'came home' and for the first months I would wake in a panic that the move back was still a dream! I think all of the UK is beautiful but wouldn't ever want to live away from 'my' hills, rivers and countryside ever again. So I suppose I can say my dreams came true!

NotSpaghetti Tue 30-Jan-24 13:59:20

I know this is an old thread but it's interesting anyway.
I can't remember dreams I've had - I must dream but they are gone.

My husband dreams all the time - waking me up battling with lions, rescuing people from burning houses, pulling children out of dangerous buildings, holding up the roof so we don't all get crushed, preventing a stampede of rhinos - and more "usual" things - school fêtes, car near-misses (not that that is really "usual"), enormous fancy cakes that need transporting...
Mostly his dreams are life-and-death rescues though it seems to me

He shouts and gasps and lunges and kicks but the roars and shouts are tiny and squeaky 🤣 There are quite a lot of lions!

I love that his dreams wake me and I get to share this strange world with him. The children often ask "any good dreams recently"... 😂

He is regularly a struggling hero. Saving his family, his community, our friends... He is always my hero anyway. ❤️

Esmay Tue 30-Jan-24 13:25:02

I'm a vivid dreamer .

I often feel quite unnerved by them .
I often dream that people , who have long passed tell me that they've always been with me and never left .

Etoile2701 Tue 30-Jan-24 13:08:27

I often dream that I am smoking (which I gave up many years ago) or driving (ditto). Both very vivid. There is no way I would take up doing either again.

timetogo2016 Fri 07-Apr-23 15:10:49

I dream and talk in my sleep as does my grandson.
I keep having the same dream about losing my handbag,and i actually wake up looking for it.
Life is very strange.