Gransnet forums

Chat

do you ever get days like these?

(62 Posts)
travelsafar Thu 30-Mar-23 11:33:33

I woke early this morning and struggled to get out of bed after lying there trying to go back to sleep. Eventually i got up and had breakfast took my pills and had a shower and hairwash. I have a friend en route as i type then i wil go out a bit later. BUt while making my bed i wanted so much to just crawl bad into it and put the duvet over my head. I try to fill my mornigs with activities or pottering in the house, garden and greenhouse. But this morning i just couldnt rouse myself to do anything not even.....pointless pottering!!!
I hate feeling like this and wasting a lovely morning. I could have gone for a walk, done some exercises, but i seemed to have just drifted. Anyone else get days like this???

Saggi Sun 02-Apr-23 07:53:17

Goodness… glad others feel like this…. until about 6 months ago I was my husbands carer (27 years) and had to be ‘up and doing ‘ by 5 am…. Now he’s gone into full time care and I relished staying in bed til 7…the 8…. Then 9…. now on some mornings I just want to stay in bed… the house doesn’t get messy… I launder only twice a week instead of twice a day! I just let the dust settle! This goes on for about 2 days … then I’m over it and am out of bed at 7 again BUT still looking for jobs to do! Now I know this is some sort of reaction to my husbands disappearance from the home …but it’s been six months and I worry about the lethargic days!
My daughter ( psychologist) says it’s a normal reaction and I’m grieving …I do understand that… but still anxious about it all. She now says I’m to think of them as Churchill did and call them my ‘Black Dog Days’ so that’s how I treat them . If possible I do just stay in bed and read and indulge in box-sets on Netflix! And like she says “ the world won’t fall to pieces because you’re not a part of it for a day or two” …so , accept your ‘ black dog days’ and indulge them.

suelld Sat 01-Apr-23 16:22:56

Kim19

I think our bodies are simply resisting too speedy a change from Winter to Spring. Strange for me as I would normally be running as fast as I could from the miserable season. Anyway.....that's my reason for lie ins.

I’m 77 in 6 months and find many people in my age range are finding the same with this weather - I live inland in S. W. Wales and the weather has been pretty consistent in being Wet, dull and damp for nearly 6 months now - Went to the surgery for an Asthma consult last week. At one point today she asked if it was worse in the Damp weather … I laughed and pointed to rain spattering the window - with the comment “ No idea - we live here! - it’s almost been non-stop damp since last October!” She laughed and said “ yes I suppose so….” and we both laughed!
Today is brighter than it’s been in ages but woke up at about 7.30 to pee… couldn’t get back to sleep but too tired to get up - so I sat up and ‘worked’ on my ipad for a few hours chatting to my sons in London and Tokyo respectively, read the GREAT NEWS about Trump, etc, etc, and eventually got back to sleep - dressed, etc, feel nicely rested and just about to have breakfast !! I will now do the things I need to do (semi-retired, still work a little from home) much much efficiently than if I had dragged myself out of bed at 7/8 this morning - yes a waste of the day but I wouldn’t have been going out anyway - I also have only 20% kidney function and have Diabetes Type 2 (border line) so have to rest until my body says OK - in the summer I am generally better and up earlier., but can’t stand the heat either.!! Maybe we can all dance around the Maypole later if this dreadful debilitating weather improves!

Katyj Sat 01-Apr-23 16:02:12

Notagranyet1234 Don’t know how you do it! You must be exhausted I’m 65 with an elderly mum but only work part time and I’m so tired. Please look after yourself.

Susieq62 Sat 01-Apr-23 15:49:38

Just back from a wonderful trip to see my brother in Oz and great friend in NZ . But I feel down ! Could be jet lag, could be the weather, could be emotional as I don’t know when/ if I shall visit again.
BUT I did park walk this morning, lots of cooking and a bit of gardening despite the cold and feel better. So I think just get up and go , if possible 👍

Aldom Sat 01-Apr-23 13:49:44

Kitsmum please, what has happened to Karen? smile

RakshaMK Sat 01-Apr-23 13:40:25

Sounds very much like symptoms of depression. Please seek help, talking therapy is something you can often self refer for locally. I've found mindfulness and CBT very helpful.

Ktsmum Sat 01-Apr-23 13:33:15

Oh I did cry over Karen, and poor Rob, so well acted 😪

Jenn53 Sat 01-Apr-23 12:51:51

Me too. I agree with everything you say. I love gardening but no energy to go into the garden. I have no motivation to do anything. I love reading but pick up a book and I can only get to the first chapter. I feel awful/guilty knowing that I am wasting precious days. I have stuff to declutter but can't bear to do it. I look out of the window and see grey skies and everlasting showers. It must be the weather as when the sun shines I seem to perk up a bit and try to do as much as I can otherwise I am just drifting. What a life these days!

biglouis Sat 01-Apr-23 12:45:49

I too could have written the OP. I keep very irregular hours and my sleeping pattern broke down long ago. However I run a business and sometimes i HAVE to get out of bed to pick and pack orders, deal with queries and so on.

The consolation is that I get paid for it.

Ilovedragonflies Sat 01-Apr-23 12:41:09

Caramme

I often feel like this, just don’t want to get out of bed. But even though I bury myself under the duvet I can still hear the protests of my cat, who squeaks rather than meows - incessantly.. If I don’t capitulate he squirms under the cover and starts pawing at my hair, and frankly it is already thin enough, so I give in and get up.

This made me smile. I have lovely memories of my own gorgeous kitties doing this before I lost them. Nowadays, my dog is equally as happy to snooze (snore) at my feet no matter how late I lay in. I get up to take him out to perform his morning ablutions. Not sure what I'd do without any animals because I rely on them as much as they rely on me.

rowyn Sat 01-Apr-23 12:33:01

I'm ashamed to say that, whilst I manage to get up ( prospect of leisurely breakfast in front of the tv), I then look out of the window and smile if its raining as I have a valid excuse for not mowing the lawn, And that has been practically every day all month - so the lawn is rather like a field.
I do take quite a number of drugs, and wonder if they have an effect on my lack of motivation.

Notagranyet1234 Sat 01-Apr-23 12:31:01

I'm perpetually exhausted, working ft looking after 87 year old dad and supporting 2 adult children with ASD. I set my alarm for 10:30 this morning after a very late night shopping for dad on my way home from work at 6:30, food then taking shopping down to dad and putting it all away and getting rid of our of date food, because he won't throw it away himself, I didn't get even get home until after 9:30pm I think I ate about 10pm so was then late to bed. Anyway the next thing I knew it was noon. So I am really behind now, I really would like to work out at over 60 but simply can't afford it, as a single parent and breadwinner. But I could get into bed on Friday night and happily sleep until Monday morning given the opportunity.

SueEH Sat 01-Apr-23 12:23:08

I’m semi retired - work two full days - and care for an elderly parent and find that I generally have one “down” day every week. Little or no energy or enthusiasm for anything. But I think that’s ok. I’m allowed to have down time (recovery time?) and I just take it easy… read, crochet and nap. Invariably the next day my energy levels are replenished.

vickya Sat 01-Apr-23 12:21:32

Maybe for some grans who feel like this it would be good to get a dog? Then you have to get up to take it out for a walk andit provides company and love.

nadateturbe Sat 01-Apr-23 12:09:38

Cabbie I have my jigsaw on a cork board and have it tilted up at an angle which helps my neck.

Cabbie21 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:56:46

Planned to do very little this morning to save my energy for rehearsal this afternoon and concert tonight, but DH is not too good. In all truth, he is probably anxious that I am going to be out all day, so I have decided to skip the rehearsal( not ideal) and just do the concert. Now I have an afternoon to fill, doing not a lot. Jigsaw occupies me for a while, but it makes my neck ache.

4allweknow Sat 01-Apr-23 11:47:23

11.45 am and I am still in pjs desperately wanting to go back to bed. Happens usually at weekends for some reason. You are not alone it seems.

MayBee70 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:40:28

The strange thing is even though I didn’t have a nap later on by early evening I was feeling more awake. When the children were young I often found myself doing housework @ 9pm because I’d have more energy. I’ve never been a morning person though. Mind you, I now fall asleep on the sofa most evenings if I watch tv. When I read about the retirement age going up and up I know that, if I was working in my mid to late sixties I would literally be working and sleeping: I would have no energy for anything else. I’m fine chatting to fellow dog walkers etc it’s just in situations where I go into a shop etc where I feel all flustered and disorientated. My son is staying with us for the week with his two young children and I don’t know how I’m going to get enough sleep in as they’re very early risers.

Choxaway Sat 01-Apr-23 11:35:20

Yes I'm like that from Christmas through to April. I feel I'm making the LEAST not the most of my life. I think with me it's poor sleep so I'm still tired, short daylight hours and little sunshine and, I'm afraid, a certain amount of "tired of life" which means nothing really excites me any more - done it all before or it's too much effort. I berate myself every day for this attitude. Life is precious, use it, celebrate it etc. I think it's a low grade winter depression for me.

CountryMouse22 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:30:11

MayBee70

I didn’t feel that I’d had enough sleep last night but had to get up because we had an early Tescos delivery. So then decided to give the dog a quick walk and, realising our deliver didn’t include eggs went to the next village to buy some. I felt that I needed to have a bit more sleep before we went but then thought I’d get it out the way. Ended up buying some bread rolls from the bakers, got home and realised I’d walked out of the shop without them. DH has got to go back and pick them up ( I don’t like driving his car) so I’m in the dog house. This is what happens when I’m tired. I’ve also realised that, because we’ve isolated ourselves so much over the past three years I get really flustered when I do actually go anywhere. I feel really stupid now sad. Having said that I don’t understand why the shop assistant didn’t notice that I hadn’t picked them up.
]
[

Just how I feel! Going almost anywhere seems a big deal.

teabagwoman Sat 01-Apr-23 11:27:59

I’m another one who gets days like this and have learnt that I really need to rest when it hits. However I try to do as I did during chemo and rest for 50 mins and potter for 10 throughout the day. It’s surprising how much gets done and stops me feeling guilty about a day entirely wasted.

MadeInYorkshire Sat 01-Apr-23 11:27:37

nadateturbe

MadeinYorkshire
Nada te turbe Let nothing disturb you.
The music used for my favourite circle dance.
I have it in a lovely album..Laudate Omnes Gentes.

Rowantree like you I hope some sunny warmer weather helps. I know exactly how you feel. Getting older is not fun.
I too envy those with circles of friends although I have neither the desire or energy to develop them..

*nadateturbe

How lovely! Thanks for explaining ...

CountryMouse22 Sat 01-Apr-23 11:26:20

I am ready for bed about 6pm and have been for ages. But I force myself to stay up till 8-ish to not be too much of a fogey! I haven't had a decent night's sleep for years. It wears you out really. But we plough on, don't we?

In some ways I feel like we're still in lockdown. We have enough money to live OK if we don't have holidays or posh meals out. Hardly ever see anyone but that's up to us I suppose!

nadateturbe Sat 01-Apr-23 08:06:37

MadeinYorkshire
Nada te turbe Let nothing disturb you.
The music used for my favourite circle dance.
I have it in a lovely album..Laudate Omnes Gentes.

Rowantree like you I hope some sunny warmer weather helps. I know exactly how you feel. Getting older is not fun.
I too envy those with circles of friends although I have neither the desire or energy to develop them..

MadeInYorkshire Fri 31-Mar-23 20:10:11

nadateturbe

Having M.E./CFS I regularly feel like that. Low blood pressure makes me feel like that too. Sometimes a shower "kick starts" my body.
I keep jigsaws handy to fill the no energy/motivation times.
MadeinYorkshire and Ann 💐 💐

*nadateturbe (please explain your name?)

Thank you ... I will send you a message.