Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Friday 31st March 2023

(53 Posts)
Michael12 Fri 31-Mar-23 05:47:47

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark , wet and miserable outside here in brackley this morning.
Plans to do local shop and maybe venture on the bus to Bicester.
Otherwise stay in .
Take Care,
Mick

Grammaretto Fri 31-Mar-23 18:06:14

Sorry about your df Madeleine but so nice you had that precious time with her.

Oh Marydoll I wonder who baby doll takes after grin

My littlest turned at the 11th hour but I was thinking I would need a c section up till then.
and yes she can be an awkward so and so

brook2704 Fri 31-Mar-23 17:32:27

So sorry to hear sad news about your friend madeleine, such a shock after spending a lovely day together 💐

Taichinan Fri 31-Mar-23 16:19:52

Madeleine so sorry about your friend passing away so unexpectedly. However, wonderful for her that she didn't linger and enjoyed that wonderful day out with you at the end. flowers

Litterpicker Fri 31-Mar-23 14:14:56

madeleine, so sorry to read of your friend’s death - what a shock for her family and friends, but so lovely that you had that day out with her 💐

Wyllow3 Fri 31-Mar-23 13:27:32

How very special that day will always be in your memory, madeleine45 - so sorry it was all so sudden.

Was fun to catch up on easier GN weather predictions re Durham/M1/a1/M as it was a real mix but easy the last bit.

Reading all the posts above - a patchwork quilt of life lived.

madeleine45 Fri 31-Mar-23 12:36:32

A rather late good morning to y ou all., on a windy and at the moment sunny friday . Have just read the posts and see that grandMattie is moving or has moved. Have missed quite a few days of news and views so will need to catch up. Had rather a hard week end last week travelling altogether 440 miles. Mostly went to see an old friend who had an operation 4 weeks ago and was getting stir crazy stuck at home. So I was able to get some shopping for her and then we went out on the saturday to the Trough of Bowland, where we really had all four seasons in one day. Heavy sudden showers from very dark grey sky, Wild wind tossing branches about, bright sunshine so that you needed sunglasses and rainbows. The daffodils were lovely and there was blossom out and we stopped for a sandwich and coffee. She said how much she had enjoyed it all. The following day I went to see my son and family and then back home, very weary but felt it had gone well. They said monday would be good weather here but after that rain etc so pushed myself to g et the washing done etc. Very weary and needed to take things a bit easy but sadly on tuesday my friends daughter rang to say her mum had died. It was a big shock and I was very sad and upset. We had been planning trips for later in the summer etc. But I am so glad we had that happy day on the saturday and her daughter spoke to her on the sunday and she had told her how much she had enjoyed the day, so that will be a consolation for both of us when we feel a little less sad. I feel rather shaken and weary and am glad to just plod along doing simple jobs and remember all the times we spent together. Hope the weekend will be reasonably dry and let me perhaps go and look at a garden, which is always very soothing to me. Hope your weekends go well everyone

Teasel57 Fri 31-Mar-23 11:51:40

Good morning all. I am very sorry to hear that many of you have uncomfortable health issues. Hope you have easier times to come. The promised rain hasn't arrived in our part of West Sussex so far. The puppy is off to the groomer this afternoon so we are planning a quick shop in Chichester - one of my favourite cities. Still recovering from the shock that our DS was 37 yesterday. Don't know how that happened! Have a good day all.

Litterpicker Fri 31-Mar-23 11:20:54

Good morning from coastal West Sussex. We left East Lothian on Tuesday after lunch and collected GD1 from university in NW England. We all arrived safely back in the south on Wednesday lunchtime. Much to the amusement (or horror?) of GDs parents, we slept on our air bed on DG’s floor, as we couldn’t face doing the journey in one go. We rustled up some Lorne sausage and microwave rice with sweet corn for our evening meal in her student flat. I felt very nostalgic - I loved being a student, as does GD!

Belated response to the grans who shared their love of/memories of Dundee (Grandmachrisy and Taichinan) and Grandmabatty who lived in the “wee coonty” where we visited our friends on Sunday. Taichinan, lovely to hear your memory of your journey to school on the ferry across the Tay. We so enjoyed wandering around some of the old cobbled streets and learning a bit of the history of the city. Grandmachrisy I hope you get booked in to the Travelodge again soon 🙂

I have an empty today as DH is at his volunteer post. DD2 and family are driving down from Scotland tomorrow, having made a fairly late decision to visit her sisters and families in the south. They will stay with DD1 so I don’t need to clear the bedrooms. Phew!

Am doing my best to catch up with all the news on Mick’s lovely GM thread, now that I have regular Wi-Fi again. Some news good, some not so good as always. Thoughts with those struggling. Hoping for some cooperation from Babydoll - I was a breech baby, born at home. I don’t think my mother would recommend it 😬. Your farewells sound poignant but heartwarming Grandmattie.

Better get on with some tidying and sorting and think what to eat 👋

Wyllow3 Fri 31-Mar-23 11:14:18

Thanks Georgesgran my trip up not very nice as rain and mist on motorway! Each time I drive up I ponder on moving up permanently but not rushing for ginormous decision. Family live rural but am more a townie.

Kalu Fri 31-Mar-23 11:10:39

Good morning all from a blustery Glasgow but patches of blue sky with the sun trying to break through hopefully means a warm sunny day result, as it was yesterday.

Roadworks aside, all routes from your area to Langside are always busy Marydoll. Understandably stressful for your DH to follow directions when he doesn’t know these areas of Glasgow. Sorry it was such a dreadful journey for you. Did you find a better route home?
Gingster, GP Receptionists are a law unto themselves, completely missing the point. Patients/ others are not calling in for a social visit, they are worried and concerned about health issues, added stress from a rude receptionist only makes matters worse. Sadly, so many of them are in the wrong job!
Hoping your DH’s GP results are favourable, giving you one less thing to worry about.

No plans for today so foutering about it is.

Best wishes to all for a good/better day whatever your plans.

Shel69 Fri 31-Mar-23 10:27:57

Good morning, be it late, grey wet morning, my daughter is working and the schools are off today ,so I have 2 grandchildren with me ,sitting having a coffee gave them pancakes and syrup in macdonalds, did my back in pulling those large bins out to the street for collection, but painkillers and 2 lattes should help,
Hoping to visit dh later if my back eases
Poor dog will have to make do with the back garden till one of my grown-up children visit, though it's raining its still beautiful driving to the shops though the mountains are covered in clouds,and normally that lifts my spirits to see them

luluaugust Fri 31-Mar-23 09:40:08

Good morning all from a wet and windy W Kent. A quick shop and GS watching this afternoon. I am gearing up for a small tea party for DH on Sunday, just local family and 5 five local friends. I thought it has been such a long winter and a get together would be fun, now I am working out how to cope with a house full, something we don't do much of since lockdown.
The friends are not particularly friends of each other but we all lived nearby when we were young, back in the Dark Ages, so I am sure they will find plenty to chat (moan) about. I think they are looking forward to seeing our AC who they knew almost before they were born!
gM a poignant time for you but lovely to know how appreciated you are.
Very best wishes to all specially those dealing with the NHS, after my art group yesterday I think we are all in the same position.

Georgesgran Fri 31-Mar-23 09:38:28

Good morning from a grey Durham. It’s wet again, although it faired up into a glorious afternoon yesterday.
I’m taking DD2’s little dog home later, then plan to wander around John Lewis and Fenwicks, as I’m on the lookout for new curtains. I’m sure coffee and cake will be consumed!
Safe journey here Wyllow
Best wishes to all. X

GrannyGravy13 Fri 31-Mar-23 09:19:36

Plans changed…

The 8yr old has been vomiting during the night so DD is staying home with both of them. The Imp acted out on FaceTime his brothers illness, I think there is a place in theatre/films for the little drama Prince.

I am now off to the gym, definitely do not feel like it but hopefully I will feel better for going.

aggie Fri 31-Mar-23 09:08:49

Good morning, where does the time go ! I have to be out for last art class in a few minutes , it’s damp and dull , so coats and scarves are needed
I’ve signed up for a coach trip in September , hope I’m wise !
Thinking of Babydoll my fifth was transverse till the last minute , nail biting !

Grandmabatty Fri 31-Mar-23 09:03:57

BlueSapphire I absolutely love Dickens but Hard Times I found a slog. Good luck

hollysteers Fri 31-Mar-23 08:50:22

Good morning Mick and all from a damp northwest coast.
Off to art soon, I turned round and left last week as our leader was full of cold lol.
Brilliant play at local theatre last night. The standard varies so much, I left at the interval for the last one. Apart from making cards it was a quiet day.
Another film on Netflix with Olivia Coleman! I know Judi Dench all over the place, but I don’t mind her.
Thought you might like this and thoughts to all with worries.

Taichinan Fri 31-Mar-23 08:50:01

Good morning all. The forecast here is for showers all morning followed by rain until Sunday, so I've been enjoying the brief visit of a sunbeam for a few minutes.
Bluebalou your holiday weather doesn't sound to have been the greatest but it's lovely that you have enjoyed it nevertheless. Llfl safe travels and a happy cruise. Gmattie a poignant time for you, but so heartwarming. Marydoll I don't think I have ever driven through Glasgow without encountering at least one diversion which would lead me into strange territory and then run out of diversion signs! But I'm glad you got to your destination in time. Good wishes to your DiL for The Turning of Babydoll and for a happy outcome.
Thank you all for your kind comments about Dancing GD's portfolio pictures yesterday. For her next trick - she has been invited to perform at her old dance teacher's end of year dance show to demonstrate where dance can take you. I'm off to watch that next weekend.
Today one or two of us from tai chi have been invited to the NHS Balance Clinic to demonstrate some of the benefits of tai chi which is always an interesting morning.
So off I go. The sunbeam has disappeared now and the rain has started, true to forecast. We all seem to be very much in the same boat, so let's enjoy the soggy doggy walks and then coorying down for a lazy day x

BlueSapphire Fri 31-Mar-23 08:49:35

Good morning everyone from a very wet Northampton.

Yesterday was beautiful, warm and sunny, and I had a pleasant walk to the hairdressers and back. I have been shorn - had my hair cut really short, and feel more like me! Then had an afternoon reading, determined to get my teeth into our new book club read, Hard Times, by Charles Dickens. Found I had to get my head round a whole new way of reading to cope with the style and language. Last time I read Dickens was at school, Great Expectations; I was 14! Our book club leader has asked us each to choose a quote from the book that is relevant to the present day...

Despite the rain I intend on doing my usual Friday outing on the bus to the shops - not been since I got back from holiday last Saturday. I need Easter cards, and Easter Eggs for the DGDs. Shall have a coffee and a bite to eat, and a good mooch.

Then back home for more of Hard Times.

Safe travels to those setting out adventuring, and have a good Friday.

Alygran Fri 31-Mar-23 08:44:12

Good morning from North Yorkshire. It’s rained overnight again but it’s dry now. You should be ok heading to Durham Wyllow.
Yesterday we turned back on our walk as it was too muddy to be safe. Instead we did a road walk to a local farm. It was good to catch up with my friend.
Shopping this morning, then more catching up with friends later.
Wishing you all a good day.

Gwenisgreat1 Fri 31-Mar-23 08:37:38

Good morning all from dry (At the moment) breezy Harrogate
Sorry your journey was so horrible Marydoll. Where Pollocksaws road converges with Shawlands always used to be a bottleneck
You will make friends easily when you finally move GrandMattie.
Yesterday was such a noisy party with 12 7 year olds screeching around. One child got upset because she didn’t get what she wanted, my DGS (with Down Syndrome) gave her hugs and kisses. He’s such a sweet boy, he won’t give me hugs and kisses though!
Have the best day possible folks

Jaxjacky Fri 31-Mar-23 08:30:00

Morning from a blustery wet S Hants. Safe journey Wyllow and happy holidays llfl.
Missing Urms* and incidentally Matt.
No garden today, too wet, Tesco delivery pm. Granddaughter is off on her skiing trip tonight.
A lot of goodbyes gMattie you’re well respected and loved.
🦩🦩

Susan56 Fri 31-Mar-23 08:26:09

Safe travels Wyllow.

Susan56 Fri 31-Mar-23 08:22:57

Good morning from Shropshire.The rain continues🙄

Another H day then school pick up later.We are going to church bingo tonight.DGD is coming with us then staying over.

I hope monks husband is feeling better ready for their family holiday🤞🏻

Also hoping Babydoll behaves today🤞🏻

Have the best day you can everyone🦩

Gingster Fri 31-Mar-23 08:22:04

Good morning all and yes it’s dreary, damp and miserable.

Yesterday I popped into the surgery to make Dh an appointment, un beknown to him. He’s just not the ticket but won’t see the doc.
I stood in an empty reception area looking at three receptionists completely ignoring me, chatting away to each other and on their screens. After a while, one looked up . Can I make an appointment for my husband, I said. An appointment? , she said in a surprised voice! Scroll, scroll, scroll.
17th April. No good.
If you want one on the day , you have to either phone (haha) or come up at 8 o’clock.
Is there a long queue at 8 or should I come at 7.45 and wait til you’re open? I said. A shrug if the shoulders and head down again. 😡🤬.
‘Thankyou’ I said .

Best wishes for Babydoll 👶🏼. Who does he/she take after 😉.

Enjoy your last day fossil hunting BlueBalou.

Sar how’re you doing?

Keep cosy and dry today ☔️