Gransnet forums

Chat

Names you might have chosen

(118 Posts)
nanna8 Thu 18-May-23 05:52:59

If you had children /more children, what names would you use today?
We have a pussy cat called Freja , love that name but we didn't have enough children to use it. I also like many of the Celtic names like Lachlan.

sazz1 Sat 20-May-23 13:28:29

For another daughter I would have chosen Cathy, Juliet or Louisa.
For sons it would be Simon, Roger, Vince, Matt

jocork Sat 20-May-23 11:06:51

'how'

jocork Sat 20-May-23 11:05:36

I always loved the name Rebekah and at the time I had my daughter Rebecca was one of the most popular names so we went for the alternative spelling. It did cause her a few problems but now everyone calls her Bekah and spells it OK. She would have been David if a boy. When we had a boy next I had a girl's name in mind - Sophie - but ended up with a Joshua, which we then found had become one of the most popular names! I wasn't influenced by fashion with Bekah as it had been my favourite name for years but wonder if Joshua becoming popular had influenced me. Josh hates his middle name - Stephen - so we tend to forget about that! Bekah's middle name rarely gets referred to either as it is Helene and tricky to type as it needs accents. I don't know haw to do that!

Bella23 Sat 20-May-23 11:04:20

My Dd's are both happy with their names; one never shortens hers. The second DD has the name I wanted for the first but MIL put it into DH's head it was too pretentious, so I called her after a friend with a standard name but an unusual spelling. The second I was determined to get the name I had liked from school. My own name rhymes with moan and I wanted to give them happy names.
If I was naming them now I would use some of the family names that have come back into fashion and as for a boy I would not bother about offending and would call him after my father who helped me all his life.
I definitely kept away from any names associated with MIL family as she had so much to say about it all even after I had an emergency C-section that I would not have done her the honour.
Someone mentioned a character in a Thomas Hardy story. I loved his books at school and I actually have a Bathsheba in my ancestors that would have gone down well with MIL or Tess.grin

Calendargirl Sat 20-May-23 07:20:50

homefarm

I wanted to call my daughter Alexandra but my husband registered her as Zoe before I came out of hospital. She hates it and has always insisted on Nic. In fact she changed her name by deed poll

I would have been livid if DH had registered the birth without me, (have often heard how the names were spelt wrongly by the husband), and even more livid if he’d changed the name!

Think the next visit would have been the divorce court!

Amalegra Sat 20-May-23 04:48:20

My elder daughter is called my first,and still favourite, choice of name although she doesn’t thank me for it sometimes as it beautiful but oddly spelled. She shortens it! My husband insisted on naming our second girl, a pretty name but all too common these days. It is after his great aunt of whom he was very fond. I would have preferred to call her Rhiannon, which I think is a lovely name. She prefers her own though! I had liked my son’s name since I was a little girl; it is from a book I loved. I might have chosen Alexander but my husband preferred the other. I think my children like their names as I like my own. My name is tricky to spell and coupled with my unusual maiden name (which I have reverted to since divorcing) has been challenging over the years!

Tinlizzy67 Sat 20-May-23 02:37:39

With Elizabeth, it is so versatile: Eli, Eliza, Liza, Liz, Lizzie, Beth, Betty, Libby.

nanna8 Sat 20-May-23 00:56:08

I had a doll I called Petronella. I used to adore that name but didn’t call any of our girls that because by then I wasn’t so keen on it. I am sure it would be shortened to Petrol here. Funny how people have an obsession with shortening names, especially here in Australia. Even a Helen gets Hel!

SuperTinny Sat 20-May-23 00:47:44

I have a 'thing' about pairing first and surnames. For instance I'm not keen on aliterative names (although you can't help it if you change your surname through marriage and end up with one!).
I'm also not keen on first names ending in 'a' if your surname starts with 'A'. I think ,when spoken, the end of the first name tends to run into the beginning of the surname.
I also like names to be spelled properly. The trend for imaginative spellings just condemns the child to a lifetime of explanations and spelling their name out every time.
And (I'm on a roll now!) I prefer full and proper names on a birth certificate even if you are always going to use a shortened version or other variation.
My daughter was born in West Wales and I now wish I had given her a Welsh middle name. I would not have felt comfortable giving her a Welsh first name as we were definitely 'incomers' at the time, although we ended up living there for 20 years!
Particular favourites of mine are Eleri (with the emphasis on the middle 'e'), Delyth and Seren.
I was always fascinated by Non (to my English ears it sounded like the parents almost didn't want the child!) and Buddug (pronounced Bithig) sounded a bit harsh.
But I'm still happy with my daughter's name. It has a nod to both my grandmothers names so it kept everyone happy!

Mollygo Fri 19-May-23 23:51:40

I wanted to call my daughter Claire, but after having heard it pronounced the Liverpool way, I decided not.
If I’d had more, I’d have used Dominic or Alexander for boys and Jacinta or Rosalind for a girl.
I like the 2 names we actually chose for each child we did have; -one less usual and one quite plain in case they wanted to swap.

DutchDoll Fri 19-May-23 22:36:02

My daughter was named Lianne after my Dutch cousin's girlfriend. We had never heard it before (mid 1970s).
She doesn't use that but is known to all except family as Lily. My grandma would have been delighted as that was her name. I hadn't used it as we thought it would sound old fashioned!
Our son has a short name which he is happy with and uses.

lixy Fri 19-May-23 22:09:31

Both ours have family names. As far as i know they are happy with them. I wouldn't be up set if they chose to change to one they preferred.

I have always been uncomfortable with my given name but haven't changed it as it was chosen with care. I don't suit it though and would choose to be called something much more down-to-earth if it wouldn't cause upset.

If I had had another daughter she would have been Jennifer/Jenny (both OH and I have a soft spot for wrens) another son would have been Felix.

Callistemon21 Fri 19-May-23 21:57:09

However, I always liked the name Jonquil, not sure why and that would have been in the running had we had two daughters
I knew a Jonquil, M0nica and she's the only one I ever knew. She was older than me so must be late 80s or 90s now.

Callistemon21 Fri 19-May-23 21:54:55

Greyduster

DS has the name we always had in mind for him, but if we had had another boy, he would have been Alexander. As it was we had a girl, and would have called her Elizabeth, had there not been an Elizabeth in the family already. Angharad (one of his grandmother’s names) was mooted and discarded as being lovely but a bit of a mouthful! I do like it, though, and Freya, too.

Our Alexander turned out to be a girl.

Oddly enough, some of my DC have second names which are those of my ancestors of the 1800s, although I didn't know that when I chose them.

Floradora9 Fri 19-May-23 21:45:11

A relative who comes from the middle east tells me that they never call a child after anyone who is still alive if choosing a family name . In the west of Scotland and the isles any first child was called after the paternal grandfather so there are lots of Colinina and other strange names . My husband insisted his first son be called after him and I gave in . I have always regretted doing so as it causes so much confusion in the house .

Scrappydo Fri 19-May-23 20:38:07

My son was named after his grandad & great grandad but we had to juggle them a bit as he would have sounded like a cowboy from a western film. My daughter was desperate for me to give her a sister called Katie Star after one of her My Little Ponies at the time. She was far from happy when I gave birth to her brother.

Grandma70s Fri 19-May-23 20:35:48

I’ve always been fascinated by names. Both my boys (no daughters, alas) have a fairly unusual, but traditional, first name, and a more ordinary middle name in case they disliked the first one - but as it happens they are both quite happy.

I very much like Benjamin, but it didn’t go well with our surname, so we didn’t use it. He’d always have been called Ben, anyway, though my friend has a Ben who is Benedict. Our younger boy was going to be Charles, but since his middle name had to be Philip for a particular reason, we thought Charles Philip was a bit too royal for comfort! So he wasn’t called Charles. My grandson was nearly Charles, too, but in the end called something else. My grandchildren have three names each, plus the surname. Plenty of scope there!

Both my best female friend and I wanted to call our sons Sebastian, but didn’t quite have the nerve. Our sons are glad we didn’t use it, but I still like it. A girl would probably have been Caroline, still my favourite girl name. I also liked Antonia at the time, but she would always have been Toni, which I’m not keen on. Now, I like Imogen and Phoebe.

I was very nervous about my grandchildren’s names, in case I didn’t like them. I’m happy with both of them, though, thank goodness.

Thisismyname1953 Fri 19-May-23 20:18:06

@Canadian gran. I didn’t mind my aunt making use of Dawn for her daughter, I had gone right off it 😆. My cousin Dawn will be 50 next year and I much prefer The name I gave to DD and she is also glad that she has the name she ended up with x x

Saggi Fri 19-May-23 19:47:25

My daughter disliked her name so much she changed it by ‘deed poll’…… my son loves his!….. kids eh! One outa two isn’t bad!

Aldom Fri 19-May-23 19:45:44

As a young girl I read and enjoyed the Whiteoak Chronicles. Two of the main characters were called Renny and Pheasant. I used to think I would call my future children by these names. My children were very relived that by the time they were born I'd moved on. grin

JudyBloom Fri 19-May-23 19:39:20

Today I would definitely choose shorter names for my children, but would still use very feminine names and very masculine names, I wouldn't go in for gender-free names.

NotSpaghetti Fri 19-May-23 19:23:21

tictacnana, Walter Ernest Cecil would probably been quite trendy these days! grin

CanadianGran Fri 19-May-23 19:21:06

Thisismyname1953, that is why I always say never to announce your name choices in advance of baby's arrival! Too bad.

Thisismyname1953 Fri 19-May-23 19:00:09

Through my whole pregnancy my DD was to be Dawn . My aunt was disappointed by my choice of a girls name as Dawn was the name she wanted for any future DD she may have .
The moment they handed my baby to me they asked her name and I said a completely smiledifferent name . Exactly 9 months later my aunt gave birth to Dawn !

CanadianGran Fri 19-May-23 18:42:27

Our 3 have quite traditional names, that I never shortened to nicknames., but I do hear others call my sons by their shortened version.

I always did like Joelle, by DH thought it was a bit too French. I liked the soft-j sound, but I knew others would pronounce the hard j.

Also, we have a ton of Marie's (Mary, Marija) in our family trees, so I regret that I didn't use it as a middle name for DD instead of the ubiquitous Lynn as middle name. It was chosen because it flowed with her first name, and had no family ties at all, but it is boring (to me - no offence to any Lynn's!)

I also liked Glen, simple and masculine, but DH had an association with a bully from school, so it was nixed.