Gransnet forums

Chat

Guess what the most aggressive dog is?

(60 Posts)
Primrose53 Fri 19-May-23 20:11:08

Apparently a golden cocker spaniel.

I did read this some years ago but it was in the news again today.

My late SIL loved dogs and had always had dogs both as a child and an adult. She bought a pedigree golden cocker as a puppy and it started off OK. As it grew it got quite possessive about its food and she kept her kids away from it so it could eat in peace. She had never had a dog with any behavioural problems so took things very slowly. It nipped the kids quite often and then it bit one of them quite badly and she decided it had to go. She was distraught but the kids were relieved as they were scared of it. It went to a rehoming centre and they were told it was aggressive because she was worried about where it might end up.

J52 Sun 21-May-23 10:07:42

Pleased to hear it. It is so difficult when animals are I’ll, at least with humans we can offer support and distractions.

J52 Sun 21-May-23 10:08:54

Predictive text wont let me write the word for unwell!

Blondiescot Sun 21-May-23 11:00:49

Cocker rage is still around. I know someone who runs her own dog training business and because she has also bred spaniels, she gets a lot of spaniel owners coming to her with this issue. The most vicious dog I've ever known was a Jack Russell, while the only time I've ever been bitten was by a Toy Poodle. In contrast, the biggest, softest dog I've known was a massive Rottweiler who had had the most horrible start in life and if any dog had good cause to hate humans, it was her - but she loved everyone.

Daisymae Sun 21-May-23 11:18:31

The only dog I've been bitten by were Alsatians. Both times outside the house as a child. Not my favourite breed.

Washerwoman Sun 21-May-23 15:44:54

We worked with dogs of all breeds for years and certainly came across 'cocker rage' in several golden cockers and have been bitten by one as a child.So I wasn't too surprised to see this report.I wasn't sure if it was still as much of an issue. We have springers ourselves and have had no problems. And one of the loveliest dogs we dealt with was a Rottweiler. Plus we had a staffie x who had had a terrible start in life and never showed any aggression despite that. So yes although I love dogs generally wouldn't personally get a golden cocker on the basis of my own experience.

Georgesgran Sun 21-May-23 16:06:39

DH trained and occasionally bred working springers. Only dog I’ve ever been bitten by was a dachshund a couple of weeks ago!

dotpocka Sun 21-May-23 16:27:40

depends the human/had a border collie clawed my face
i became a groomer and vet tech
have or had staffies wolfdogs
34 lb cat part maine coon manx x
treat them well and they will love you forever

MartinC1967 Wed 14-Jun-23 17:58:48

When I was young we had a golden spaniel which was aggressive. It eventually bit my grandmother and had to be put down.

Someone I work with has a spaniel/ whippet cross, it’s 14 months old and has already killed rabbits and a chicken.

My friend has a cockerpoo that barks aggressively at men.

In truth, if I was looking to get another dog any sort of spaniel would be last on my list.

Chardy Thu 15-Jun-23 07:25:45

I walk our 2 Cavalier KC spaniels every day, and have done for years. We have never had any problems passing any kind or colour of a spaniel - they all seem to love each other.
Some particularly small lap dogs seem prone to barking at everyone. And we give space to staffies, rottweilers and GSD because I'm not keen on them, though they've never given us any bother. I think I find their big jaws intimidating.

tickingbird Thu 15-Jun-23 07:30:35

Rottweilers are wonderful dogs and don’t deserve a bad reputation.

Iam64 Thu 15-Jun-23 08:41:06

Oh small yappy dogs that lunge bark at every dog they meet. Owners never seem to attempt to train this behaviour out of them. ‘Be nice’ I often hear said as the dog lunges to the end if it’s dangerous extendable lead. Humph.

yggdrasil Thu 15-Jun-23 09:13:18

f'n chihuahuas

Mollygo Thu 15-Jun-23 09:19:40

On yesterday’s walk, the most aggressive dog was a Labrador, who terrified my spaniel so much she jumped onto my chest.
The day before it was a dog of indeterminate breed, who raced round barking aggressively at the children on the field, despite the owners commands to stop.

Mollygo Thu 15-Jun-23 09:51:37

On yesterday’s walk, the most aggressive dog was a Labrador, who terrified my spaniel so much she jumped onto my chest.
The day before it was a dog of indeterminate breed, who raced round barking aggressively at the children on the field, despite the owners commands to stop.

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 15-Jun-23 10:41:17

I encounter a fair amount of dogs whilst walking mine, the most out of control/ shouted at dogs seem to be the 'gorgeous' or unusual breeds. Not down to breed traits but because I suspect they are often bought as accessories to a lifestyle which doesn't facilitate the hard work in caring for a high energy/ intelligent dog. We rarely meet them on local river or country side walks but only on the park or around town. Every dog deserves to have their needs met!

Primrose53 Thu 15-Jun-23 11:13:48

MartinC1967

When I was young we had a golden spaniel which was aggressive. It eventually bit my grandmother and had to be put down.

Someone I work with has a spaniel/ whippet cross, it’s 14 months old and has already killed rabbits and a chicken.

My friend has a cockerpoo that barks aggressively at men.

In truth, if I was looking to get another dog any sort of spaniel would be last on my list.

I read a story yesterday about a woman who had to have her spaniel/ whippet cross put to sleep because it killed a tiny dog. It was fine with the family inside it’s own home but went for anything small outside.

I will find the link.

Primrose53 Thu 15-Jun-23 11:20:10

Yes it was a cocker spaniel/whippet cross

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12192059/The-awful-day-dog-killed-Snowy-Chihuahu.html

All round very sad story.

Blondiescot Thu 15-Jun-23 11:20:14

tickingbird

Rottweilers are wonderful dogs and don’t deserve a bad reputation.

They are wonderful dogs. The softest lump of a dog I've ever known was a nine-stone Rottweiler, Rosie. She had had the most horrendous start in life, being owned by drug addicts who tried to hang her from a bridge. Fortunately the rope broke and although she had a badly broken leg, she survived and was adopted by a friend of mine. If ever a dog had a reason to hate humans, it was Rosie - but she loved everyone, especially children. She was an amazing girl.

maddyone Thu 15-Jun-23 11:23:17

I’m not really a dog person, I tend to avoid them all, but my daughter owns a white Labrador and she is the most gorgeous, gentle dog ever. We looked after her for six months after our daughter went to New Zealand before she flew out to join them.

tickingbird Thu 15-Jun-23 13:37:42

Blondiescot

My first Rottweiler was Rosie and I’ll love her forever. When I had her people used to ask what sort of dog she was and most had never heard of a Rottweiler. Within a couple of years they had become popular, back street breeding etc and the trouble began. Thankfully they’re out of fashion now with the bad owners. I’ve had 3, all wonderful and much loved but my Rosie was something very special, so much so I’ve actually got tears in my eyes typing this!

tickingbird Thu 15-Jun-23 13:38:47

Just to add she died 33 years ago!

Nandalot Thu 15-Jun-23 14:02:29

Prinrose53, the owner of the spaniel whippet cross who killed the chihuahua is Shona Sibary, the awful woman who admits she gets rid of her dogs as soon as they stop being cute little puppies.
www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3213491/I-rid-dogs-soon-stop-cute-puppies-woman-s-given-away-FOUR-dogs-four-years-brazen-confession-ll-enrage-pet-lovers.html
My DM always had cocker spaniels and during my childhood we had a soppy orange roan who was a gentle soul.
The dog I share with my daughter is a cockapoo, mum was a red cocker. Again, she is very gentle though she does bark at the postman etc. (and at the window cleaner who is here at the moment).

Doodle Thu 15-Jun-23 14:19:53

The one that frightened me most as a child was my friends two Pekingese that used to run behind me and bite my ankles every time I went there. I was terrified of them. Also quite scared of my grandson getting a German shepherd puppy. So worried what this big dog would do. She tuned out to be the quietest calm creature with the most amazing eyes and gentle nature. Never even bothered to bark at anyone and never jumps up or growls. Still as others have said, any dog can be aggressive if not properly looked after.

MayBee70 Thu 15-Jun-23 14:26:41

Whippets are bred to run down and kill rabbits. That’s why we always keep ours on a lead when there are other dogs around, especially small ones. I don't think she’d kill one but I’m not prepared to risk it. Trouble is people with those small dogs let them run up to her when she’s on lead.

Blondiescot Thu 15-Jun-23 14:36:46

tickingbird

Blondiescot

My first Rottweiler was Rosie and I’ll love her forever. When I had her people used to ask what sort of dog she was and most had never heard of a Rottweiler. Within a couple of years they had become popular, back street breeding etc and the trouble began. Thankfully they’re out of fashion now with the bad owners. I’ve had 3, all wonderful and much loved but my Rosie was something very special, so much so I’ve actually got tears in my eyes typing this!

Oh what a coincidence, tickingbird. They are beautiful dogs. There's a woman who lives not far from us who has one and I must admit it was strange to see a Rottweiler with a tail, because for years you were so used to seeing them with docked tails.