Gransnet forums

Chat

Free Bus Pass scheme labelled "unsustainable& quot;

(107 Posts)
sassysaysso Sat 01-Jul-23 07:23:02

Sadly, it was a matter of time before free travel schemes for the disabled and elderly became a target. As the proud owner of a Freedom Pass, I would be happy to pay a small annual subscription. Rather that than the scheme was cut entirely.

www.theguardian.com/money/2023/jul/01/councils-in-england-hit-by-unsustainable-450m-bill-for-free-bus-passes

Mizuna Sat 01-Jul-23 07:30:01

I sold my van to see if I could live more ethically and just use public transport. That was seven years ago and I venture everywhere by bus/train and love it. I would happily pay a subscription amount or a reduced fare every time I use a bus.

Allsorts Sat 01-Jul-23 07:31:44

I think it’s a doggy area, unless you want to get into means testing.

maddyone Sat 01-Jul-23 07:45:15

I have a bus pass, but never use it. I think people should pay a subscription for it.

Witzend Sat 01-Jul-23 08:57:01

Where we live (very good public transport) I’m sure they keep quite a few cars off the road. I certainly use mine a lot less since I’ve had the Freedom Pass.

Wyllow3 Sat 01-Jul-23 09:06:45

We have to make sure that those who need it most free can continue, not sure how, as means testing is complicated. it would have to be done at the point of getting the pass.

£2 or £2.50 is a lot if you are on benefits or basic pensions, but clearly some could afford to chip in.

Not easy, is it?

For some it's the only "outing" you can get and manage financially.

I have noticed locally (this is city living, not the very complex rural situations, which I dont know enough about to comment on) that buses are very much more used in the poorer parts of the city - long queues at bus stops, full buses.

NanaDana Sat 01-Jul-23 09:11:12

Wouldn't be without mine. Excellent public transport links where I live in suburban Tyneside, with buses into Newcastle approx every 16 minutes. I also pay a mere £12 per year for a Metro Gold Card for Seniors which gives me unlimited travel on Metro (local rail network), the Shields Ferry and Northern Rail services between Newcastle and Sunderland from 9.30am Monday-Friday, and all day at weekends. Very well served here.

Humbertbear Sat 01-Jul-23 09:31:34

We live in North West London. A single bus fare is £1.75 and if we had to pay for the bus and then the tube into town it is £10 a day. So ‘free’ activities such as a visit to a museum become very expensive.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 01-Jul-23 09:36:10

I’ve never had a bus pass because I haven’t lived anywhere near a bus route for about 30 years. Oh to have public transport in rural areas where people drive long after they should have given up!

Elegran Sat 01-Jul-23 09:39:46

That £350 million we were going to save by leaving the EU would have gone a long way toward the £450 m cost, if only it hadn't somehow proved an illusion. I wonder how much more pensioners will cost when they get ill and depressed faster by not being able to afford regular travel to do their own shopping, attend the GP or hospital, visit family and friends and meet up for a cuppa, go to hobby groups, leisure centres, men's sheds, a day out somewhere, or just a browse round town.

Not everyone has a car or someone to drive them around, or can cycle, or lives just round the corner from all the amenities. Our pensions in the UK are among the lowest in Europe. The bus passes were a cheap alternative to raising them to comparative levels, and having local councils foot the bill was a crafty move for central government - they can deny all responsibility.

downtoearth Sat 01-Jul-23 09:48:01

GSM live in the same county as you you,but in the middle area, use my bus pass as I no longer have a car, buses run but the connections are very poor,normally limited to same places to visit as it can take all day to get somewhere that is maybe an hour by car.
To visit theatre,cinema,or city, would mean an expensive stay over as buses dont run much after around 8pm to get home.
Very little in way of entertainment,or places to go,especially as a single person locally.

Dickens Sat 01-Jul-23 09:49:09

sassysaysso

Sadly, it was a matter of time before free travel schemes for the disabled and elderly became a target. As the proud owner of a Freedom Pass, I would be happy to pay a small annual subscription. Rather that than the scheme was cut entirely.

www.theguardian.com/money/2023/jul/01/councils-in-england-hit-by-unsustainable-450m-bill-for-free-bus-passes

Yes, it was just a matter of time. And this is only part of the whole. The triple-lock will also become unaffordable, as will some of the services that many of the public rely on... a process that is ongoing already.

If these schemes are annulled it will further marginalise the elderly and disabled in our now "inclusive" society.

All inevitable under a small-state, free-market economy.

maddyone Sat 01-Jul-23 09:51:18

I don’t know why means testing would be difficult. They could just give it to pensioners on pension credit.

Germanshepherdsmum Sat 01-Jul-23 09:56:36

Hi dte! I love the peace and quiet here and used to visit north Norfolk every year from the 60s until we moved here seven years ago. A trip to Norwich, say, is a bit of a trek then you have to find a parking space so it doesn’t happen often. I would love a bus service but I guess you can’t have everything eh?

paddyann54 Sat 01-Jul-23 10:12:53

Bus passes at 60 here and for all young people up to age 22.The aim of the Scottish government is to make all public transport free .That will keep busses filled and stop people taking their cars on on journeys that could easily be covered by bus...or train .In the meantime young folk can get a bus to town without parents being taxis and it keeps a number of old bangers off the road in my area so helping the environment .
Its called progress,a full bus is a better option than 40 cars on the road.My GS reckons he saves £300 + a month on fares and as a 20 year old buying his own flat thats a lot of money put to a better use

downtoearth Sat 01-Jul-23 10:16:00

Third attempt to reply GSM, but the Aldi wheel of doom cancelled them.

I agree I love the peace and quiet,mostly amuse myself,on a whim went to Norwich a few days ago,it took an hour,popped into M&S,a a couple of shops, couldnt cope with how busy it was I was there around an hour,got the bus and was pleased to get back to somewhere quieter,I am in a small market town,

downtoearth Sat 01-Jul-23 10:21:12

I meant to add without my free bus pass I couldnt have done that,the trip didnt cost me anything,I enjoyed the people watching getting on and off the bus,but was glad to get home

Elusivebutterfly Sat 01-Jul-23 10:21:47

The problem with means testing and giving things to pensioners on Pension Credit, there are many of us single pensioners whose income is a little above the Pension Credit level and things like paying fares would really make me think twice about going to non essential places.
It is much more healthy for society for pensioners to keep active and get out and about. The huge rises in food and fuel have meant little extras have to go.

Witzend Sat 01-Jul-23 10:40:53

Dh and I would gladly pay an annual sub for the sheer convenience.

hulahoop Sat 01-Jul-23 10:53:44

We have very little in the way of links we have to drive to start a journey no bus to train station for anyone in my area ,and it's at top of a steep hill, one bus an hour to town which is roughly a mile but hilly very few buses go into bus station so link ups difficult ,so our town and surrounding area chock a block with cars day and night.

Nandalot Sat 01-Jul-23 10:58:58

Exactly, Elusivebutterfly, for some people it is their only mode of getting about and I am sure helps to keep them more physically able and mentally stimulated so good for mental health. In our village you need a car but there is an hourly bus service with a choice of a city one way and a town the other. It is well used by the pension community who otherwise might be stuck. It is bottom line thinking, just pushing the cost onto another service, here the health service.

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Jul-23 11:00:57

maddyone

I have a bus pass, but never use it. I think people should pay a subscription for it.

I used to use it but haven't for years as it's a long way to and from the bus stop.

Callistemon21 Sat 01-Jul-23 11:07:08

paddyann54

Bus passes at 60 here and for all young people up to age 22.The aim of the Scottish government is to make all public transport free .That will keep busses filled and stop people taking their cars on on journeys that could easily be covered by bus...or train .In the meantime young folk can get a bus to town without parents being taxis and it keeps a number of old bangers off the road in my area so helping the environment .
Its called progress,a full bus is a better option than 40 cars on the road.My GS reckons he saves £300 + a month on fares and as a 20 year old buying his own flat thats a lot of money put to a better use

Its called progress,a full bus is a better option than 40 cars on the road

Yes this!

However, here the buses don't run at convenient times for people to get to work because ..... there is too much traffic on the road 😁
They took off a bus to a shopping area because it got filled with people using bus passes and the company said they couldnt afford to run it.

You can't use a Welsh bus pass in England.
Children have to pay a bus fare to get to and from school if it across the border.

Norah Sat 01-Jul-23 11:10:41

Nandalot

Exactly, Elusivebutterfly, for some people it is their only mode of getting about and I am sure helps to keep them more physically able and mentally stimulated so good for mental health. In our village you need a car but there is an hourly bus service with a choice of a city one way and a town the other. It is well used by the pension community who otherwise might be stuck. It is bottom line thinking, just pushing the cost onto another service, here the health service.

I agree.

Buses are not available where we live, but I appreciate others need to get out on a bus. I think good public transpost is a must.

Glorianny Sat 01-Jul-23 11:34:11

I use my bus pass all the time. One thing I have noticed is that at off-peak times the majority of bus passengers are older people with a bus pass. Without these people services would probably be reduced, those with cars would use them more, those without, or no longer driving, would be more isolated.
The Scots as usual have got it right. We need to look at ways of encouraging more to use public transport.
The financial cost isn't that huge when you weigh it against the costs of losing public transport completely. The costs of air pollution and city centre congestion, the cost of health care both from isolation and aging car drivers, and the costs of redundancies and job losses as bus companies fail.
The bus pass gives far more in benefits to both the community and the person