Gransnet forums

Chat

EDF increasing monthly payments

(19 Posts)
Luckygirl3 Thu 21-Mar-24 11:16:05

I recently received a message from EDF to say that my monthly payments would increase from £68 pm to £76.

I looked at my account, saw that I was in credit and wrote to them asking them to justify the increase, particularly as the summer months are coming up.

Guess what? - they straight away cancelled the increase, which makes me think that they just try it on.

Their reason for cancelling the increase was that prices per unit are going down by 12% in April - but presumably they knew that when they decided to up my payments.

Ever feel you are being taken for a ride?

Aveline Thu 21-Mar-24 11:18:19

I found that with EDF too. Despite being in credit they increased my payments.
Last year, after six months they halved my monthly payments and paid back a substantial lump sum. I don't think their computer knows what it's doing!

maddyone Thu 21-Mar-24 11:18:29

Nothing surprises me with big business any longer Luckygirl.

maddyone Fri 22-Mar-24 10:35:10

So sorry you haven’t received more responses, so I’m bumping this for you.

Charleygirl5 Sat 23-Mar-24 09:35:10

When I was with EDF I never seemed to pay the same amount 2 months running and I was always in credit. The best thing I ever did was to join Octopus when it was in its infancy. I have not regretted a day.

Mel1967 Sat 23-Mar-24 09:41:26

Charleygirl5

When I was with EDF I never seemed to pay the same amount 2 months running and I was always in credit. The best thing I ever did was to join Octopus when it was in its infancy. I have not regretted a day.

We are also with Octopus for gas & electric.
Must say I can’t fault them.
They recently refunded us a large amount of money as they had over estimated our bills.
We have been able to lower our monthly payment considerably

Georgesgran Sat 23-Mar-24 09:55:20

While I still like and often recommend Octopus and have no intention of moving from them, I’ve had a couple of issues in the past 6 months.
The current problem is under investigation and I’ve been waiting 6 weeks already for contact by an engineer re. a visit.
It’s their problem now!

Kim19 Sat 23-Mar-24 10:41:28

Feel I'd like to support EDF as I've never had a problem with them and even had my monthly payment reduced two months ago. They do a little irritant with regularly suggesting I have a smart meter but I have no problem in ignoring that.

annsixty Sat 23-Mar-24 11:11:27

I had an email from EDF yesterday to say my payment is going from £186 to £248.
Until a few months ago I was paying £302.
In February I was in credit for over £900 now in debit for £48.
Unfortunately I am not at all well so just not up to dealing with it for a few days. I can’t even get out to read the meters which are in the garage.
I shall be on the phone at the first opportunity.

Enid101 Sat 23-Mar-24 11:15:33

Annsixty, I’m sorry you are unwell. you can change your direct debit online with EDF. This might be easier than trying to get through on the phone.

Oldnproud Sat 23-Mar-24 12:29:34

How often do EDF produce a bill?

I have found that several companies have long billing periods of three or even six months, meaning that they only 'do the maths' properly at the end of those periods.

Between times, that leads to customers being given a very misleading picture of how much - or little - credit they really have.
What often seems to happen is that their account will show all payments received since the last bill as credit, but no deductions have been made at this stage for the cost of the energy used in that same period. As you can imagine, over the winter months, when usage is at its highest, this can be particularly misleading.
The accurate picture only emerges when the latest bill is produced.

I have seen this with my mum's energy account (with British Gas, not EDF), which I monitor for her.
There was one point in Feb when she asked me to see how much credit she had. Her online account was showing that she had credit of over £1,500. She instantly wanted me to arrange for it to be refunded (apparently a lot of her friends had recently asked for credit refunds). However, I did the maths myself and realized that when the next bill, due around that time, come through, the credit would drop to more like £500.
I was right - literally overnight, around £1,000 of her credit 'disappeared.' as the new bill was produced

Why do some companies do this, or are even allowed to do it? It just seems crazy to me.

Bea65 Sat 23-Mar-24 12:46:30

I'm still in credit with EDF and they reduced my monthly debit to £14.00 for last 5 months...and now they have a better tariff so will be switching over to that...they seem fair to me...Have a smart monitor for dual energy - they send an email each month which I check for usage and no discrepancies so farsmile

twiglet77 Sat 23-Mar-24 13:09:20

I had a succession of unsolicited phone calls from EDF trying to book an appointment for a smart meter. Each time I refused, and told them to take me off their calling list. After the last (4th?) call in a few months I emailed EDF to complain and they swiftly emailed back with an apology, and credited £30 to my account as a goodwill gesture.

Charleygirl5 Sat 23-Mar-24 17:32:08

I am partially sighted and have a smart meter because I could no longer read the meters for gas and electricity although if sighted, it would be easy.

I receive a bill each month from Octopus so I have an excellent idea each month of how much I am using and if I can make any savings.

dragonfly46 Sat 23-Mar-24 17:35:29

I am with EON and they have just notified me that they are reducing my monthly payments by £40. I did not request this. I am very happy with them and have had no problems.

Charleygirl5 Sat 23-Mar-24 17:39:09

When you are ready Ann you must have a few words because I am certain you are neither heating nor paying for the lighting at Blackpool Illuminations.

I live in a modest 3 bedroom house and my gas and electricity bill for a month is around £170. When my heating is on it is set at 19.5C.

VioletSky Sat 23-Mar-24 17:39:38

They want your money in their account accruing interest

It's a gross practice

dragonfly46 Sat 23-Mar-24 17:44:00

We live in a 5 bedroom house and we are now paying £160 a month!

annsixty Sat 23-Mar-24 17:49:50

My S has checked my meter readings and they are not far out from the estimate.
It seems that we have used over £700 worth of gas in 3 months.
I now need to check the amount I used in the same quarter of last year, not the cost, just gas used.
Then if it is vastly different I will have to get the meter and the central heating boiler checked.
This is just one of the times when I miss my H so much.