Gransnet forums

Chat

Chinese hacking??

(6 Posts)
Aveline Tue 26-Mar-24 07:33:26

I've not used my tablet for ages but I needed to charge it for a zoom session. It told me it needed to update software so I did that. Once it was charged and updated I found a new app had appeared. It was a Chinese search engine. How did that happen? Needless to say I've deleted it but it made me think.

Sarnia Tue 26-Mar-24 07:42:16

At 76, I find this world with hacking, AI, scammers, conspiracy theorists, apps, social media and having to access most things on-line, a very strange place to live. I understand very little about the dark side of the web but I know it does not bode well for the future.

Marydoll Tue 26-Mar-24 07:54:38

Aveline, if you haven't already done so, go into your browser and delete your cache. ( history).
Then switch off and reboot.

I believe that because of pre-installed software on Android devices, Google searches can lead to Chinese search engines.
There are many posts about this on the Google forum.

I had an update on my Samsung tablet on Saturday evening and it b*gg*ered it up. It took ages to get it working again.

Iam64 Tue 26-Mar-24 08:12:35

Oh no! Aveline , my technical skills are legendary. I’m due to combine my broadband and mobile contract. Keep starting then walking away. I’d rather hoover than attempt it.
I’ll have a look at Google 😵‍💫

AGAA4 Tue 26-Mar-24 08:13:23

Chinese hackers have the details of millions of voters in the UK by hacking into the electoral registers.
They want to interfere in our voting system.

Katie59 Tue 26-Mar-24 08:48:15

Whatever their intentions Chinese tech is everywhere, mobile phones, computers, CCTV, Cars, they are all connected online back to China so they “could” be monitoring everything we do.

Whether they interfere I have no idea but they could, giving so much information to a potential adversary is a bad idea.