Gransnet forums

Chat

Decluttering

(566 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 14-May-26 16:31:34

Anyone?
We had a nice little thread going, no rushing, just sharing, discussing, and encouraging each other. .
I've fallen out the loop, but still have a long way to go.

MissAdventure Tue 14-Jul-26 10:19:22

Not a word, so, it's left me in a mess, as I'd left bits and bobs to ensure there would be a couple of hours work for her.

It'll take me all day, as I'm having to rest so much, and havng "arm trouble". (Woe is me!) smile

karmalady Tue 14-Jul-26 10:18:46

I am jiggered, at it hammer and tongs. 4 cupboards done, haha if you can count the piles of fabric on the floor

I am never going to make leggings, nor skin tight drapey dresses nor pencil thin wool skirts nor another coat and that is only some of it. It is going to take me weeks to slowly take everything to the charity shops. My landing is overflowing with at least three big piles. Nice fabrics back in the day but that day has well and truly gone

In the middle of all that, I can`t just have a break oh no, I have to prep veggies for my meal, serves me right for picking it last night. I`ll probably resume after lunch, I cannot just go on like an automaton. I have two more cupboards to empty and sort and I want to stay focused to keep the files and fabric samples accurate

I can`t be doing this again

HelterSkelter1 Tue 14-Jul-26 07:19:29

MissAdventure I hope she turns up today and just got the day wrong. And turns out to be a gem!

karmalady Tue 14-Jul-26 07:07:55

I hope your cleaner has been in touch *Miss A*

The only decluttering I have done lately is fabric and only leftovers from sewing, I am past saving every scrap for `just in case`

I need a quiet day at home and I need to tidy my sewing room and am in a delutter mood, the cs will take any sewing offloads

I have fabrics that I can now declutter, especially quilting fabrics, they are good for toiles (mock ups ) of new patterns but someone local might as well make use of most of them, for quilting

Onward and upward now, cool dress on but not a long caftan as I will be up and down steps of a chair, No trip hazard for me today

Maybe I will also re-do my fabric filing system, I get haphazard with time and don`t keep up with myself. I do like a peaceful purposeful day

MissAdventure Mon 13-Jul-26 22:38:34

Yep, it is annoying, but I'm sort ot used to it now.
For some reason people think it doesn't matter to just not turn up, or to say nothing.
All I want is a bit of help arounf the place, for a fair price.
Its awkward now, because i feel I've got to either pretend it doesn't matter, or even worse - say something.

MayBee70 Mon 13-Jul-26 22:04:25

MissAdventure

I banged a few balls in, and have hung some bags up, but I was mistly waited for the cleaner, who never turned up.

How annoying!

MissAdventure Mon 13-Jul-26 20:23:09

Any road up - I can now get into the first part of Brian, but not the murky depths at the far end.

None of the hanging up stuff is sorted properly. Just ahoved in bags and up off the floor, for now.

MissAdventure Mon 13-Jul-26 20:19:09

🤭

MissAdventure Mon 13-Jul-26 20:18:37

Oops, banged some nails in blush

MissAdventure Mon 13-Jul-26 20:17:27

I banged a few balls in, and have hung some bags up, but I was mistly waited for the cleaner, who never turned up.

MayBee70 Mon 13-Jul-26 13:45:01

Ended up buying stuff on the internet, listening to a podcast and falling asleep…

MissAdventure Sun 12-Jul-26 23:00:38

So, anything earmarked to be in a rubbish bag by tomorrow?
I'm quite proud of throwing away my aquarium lamp.
In the bin, gone, kapuut, no more.

MayBee70 Sun 12-Jul-26 22:55:34

Most things are in the keep pile!

MissAdventure Sun 12-Jul-26 22:49:56

Ooh that's brave.
I used to regularly do all nighters, if, say, I was decorating or had got a lot of housework to do.
Now then, these Sindy horses.
Are they in the keep pile?

MayBee70 Sun 12-Jul-26 22:31:24

I’ve just opened all the doors and windows to cool the house down. My excuse for not doing snything is thatI’ve had to turn all the lights off to stop insects flying in. However, in an hour or so ( given that I didn’t get up till 3) I’m going to attempt an all-nighter. It’s bin day tomorrow so I hope to throw some stuff away. Just been in the loft which is full to bursting with books and pictures and picture frames along with dressing up clothes from when we used to have carnivals. Posters, guitars, amps, LP’s from when my son wanted to be a dj…numerous baskets, toys ( there’s a Care Bear at the top of the stairs) and a couple of Sindy horses…

MissAdventure Sun 12-Jul-26 22:00:06

I'm planning to bang some nails on the wall inside Brian.
Not exactly the polished, sophisticated look I want inside my cupboard, but at least I'll be able to hang some stuff up, so it doesn't take up floor room.
As it is, I've boxes of stuff, which simply doesn't all need to be in boxes.

Anyway, it's an evolving situation, so putting up something like shelving may not suit as I clear and tidy.

At least i can pull out nails, a blob of filler, and the job's a goodun.

MissAdventure Sun 12-Jul-26 21:21:15

Some poor soul probably thought they'd seen a ghost! grin

HelterSkelter1 Sun 12-Jul-26 21:18:32

Well they look unusual and one was so floaty and airy (and not well secured) it actually floated away in the breeze last night and I had to retrieve it from the pavement. Luckily no one tjought I was giving it away.

MissAdventure Sun 12-Jul-26 21:13:02

Thats a huge plus.
I expect they look quite nice, too?
All floaty and airy.

HelterSkelter1 Sun 12-Jul-26 20:40:56

I had a cataract op this week so no bending for a while and no housework! Well its too darn hot for housework, gardening or decluttering anyway so nothing much happening here until it cools down.
I can plan though. And some of the white cotton single sheets and tablecloths which were in line for decluttering have been hung outside on the sash windows and have successfully deflected the hot sunshine. I am so glad they weren't sent to the charity shop as planned.

MissAdventure Sun 12-Jul-26 19:16:51

Honestly, its just neverending, isn't it?
I'm going to be disappearing on the 19th August, for who knows how long, and I've given up hope of making any headway before I do.
It doesnt help that my boy puts about three loads of washing out, every single day, plus hasn't enough storage in his room, which he refuses to sort out.

So i have a tower of washing in MY room, instead. angry

MayBee70 Sun 12-Jul-26 18:00:30

I slept till 3pm. Procrastinating by watching the tennis but must spring into action when it finishes…I’ve got a lot to do…

MissAdventure Sun 12-Jul-26 17:50:27

Just thrown out an aquarium light, and a few other "fishy" things.
It's meant I've been able to pull out the sideboard, hoover behind it, and untangle the sea of wires.

I can now switch my lamp on, later.

MissAdventure Sat 11-Jul-26 19:29:05

I've just discovered my vacuum is broken.
So, had to buy anothet cheapie one because the cleaner is coming on monday.
This cleaning lark is costing me a lot, one way amd another. smile

MayBee70 Sat 11-Jul-26 18:58:15

I keep buying things that I think will help me or improve my life!