Gransnet forums

Chat

Decluttering

(560 Posts)
Doodledog Thu 14-May-26 22:18:09

That's a plan - what we call 'the towel cupboard' is a massive thing covering a whole wall on the landing, and it is a repository for things as you describe, MissA. there could be dinosaurs in there. I won't venture in before son and DIL have gone, but it's on the list. Clearing space to put other things is a great way to start, and it's a lovely feeling to know there are clear (behind a door) shelves somewhere.

And yes, Guesswhat an incentive always helps. Do you have one coming up? Christmas will b with us in seven months or so wink. Come and join us.

MissAdventure Thu 14-May-26 22:12:43

Just the jigsaw today, for me.
Out it went.
I have to keep moving things from cupboard to cupboard to get to the stuff.

I've decanted the contents of a big, deep wicker basket into a much smaller white plastic box.

I cleaned out my sheets and bedding cupboard, and the very same night my boy came in with an industrial hoover, and a pile of pipes/tubes/things and put them in there.

Guesswhat Thu 14-May-26 22:11:24

I need an incentive like that, Doodledog. The knowledge that I’m about to have guests is the only thing likely to spur me on.

Doodledog Thu 14-May-26 22:05:21

I'm in if this is a new one.

I'm ready for another clearout. I hope never to have to do another on the scale of the one I did two (or three?) years ago, but if that is to be achieved I need to do smaller ones annually.

I have bought a few new summer clothes and need to get rid of older ones, and to do a general trawl of the fated spare bedrooms where 'things' get put to get them out of the way. They often stay there for long after it's obvious they aren't needed, so I plan to get rid of them too.

We are away this week, so I'll join in on Monday when I'm at home. My son and DIL are staying with us for the next BH, so there is an incentive to get rid of 'stuff' in their bedroom, too.

Allira Thu 14-May-26 21:19:09

Ive just unearthed my jigsaw, and it's going!

Hae you finished it?
All the pieces there?

MissAdventure Thu 14-May-26 16:56:47

Thank you.
I'll go and use that thread now then.

MissAdventure Thu 14-May-26 16:45:24

Well, I'm just about finishef in Adrian and am working on Brian, who is essentially my shed, albeit indoors.

Ive just unearthed my jigsaw, and it's going!

Allira Thu 14-May-26 16:37:27

Here's the latest one, there are several others.

www.gransnet.com/forums/house_and_home/1347134-De-cluttering-still-at-it-still-no-end

Allira Thu 14-May-26 16:35:38

I should try again. The thread did inspire me for a while but as long as it's all out of sight in drawers, cupboards, the attic, it's out of mind.

MissAdventure Thu 14-May-26 16:31:34

Anyone?
We had a nice little thread going, no rushing, just sharing, discussing, and encouraging each other. .
I've fallen out the loop, but still have a long way to go.