Gransnet forums

Chat

Decluttering

(561 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 14-May-26 16:31:34

Anyone?
We had a nice little thread going, no rushing, just sharing, discussing, and encouraging each other. .
I've fallen out the loop, but still have a long way to go.

MissAdventure Sun 16-Aug-26 11:07:48

Oh, well done!!
How lovely that sounds, and the "no more shoving things into cupboards."

Its a huge strain to put youself under, when you're basically a clean, tidy person, to just put things out of sight, because it doesn't follow that they're out of mind.

You've done so well, and no doubt lifted a little unnecessary weight off your mind. I'm jealous!

karmalady Sun 16-Aug-26 10:19:13

I am packing in for the day, worked until 9.30 and thats enough, its sunday, my day of rest

Looking at my patio plants in pots and I was begrudging water for my figs, I am not liking figs anyway. 5 plants,. 2 were a few years old. They have gone to the tip just now and so have the pots they were in

Thats another load de-cluttered for my future. I`m amazed at how bits for de-cluttering pop up

I am enjoying the extra spaces all over my house, no shoving things into cupboards any more

MissAdventure Fri 14-Aug-26 21:12:27

2 bottles of Corsydil mouthwash gone out today.
I'm so angry with my boy.

Adrian cupboard was clean and tidy. I opened the door and he has cleaned his car but deliberately left cloths, bits of mini vacuum, etc, all over the floor, along with every spray cleaner known to man strewn all over the placè.

Wishes Fri 14-Aug-26 16:07:58

FranP My DDs clothes will fit DGD in a year or 2, so do I keep them?

Whilst on a 3 generation holiday this year, I commented on a very nice boho top my 18 year old GD wore. It turns out it was mine then passed on to my DD.

My GD has worn several items originally mine or her mothers, usually going out stuff.
Takes me down memory lane when I used to have a figure like hers smile

MayBee70 Fri 14-Aug-26 12:39:53

Three years ago I was going to have a new porch and the garage roof re felted. Found the quote last night. Was all set to have it done but found that all of my windows needed replacing so had to do that first. Then realised the garage roof was asbestos and there was a drainage problem as it has no gutters just a hole in the roof leading to a soak away. No one has been able to think of a new drainage solution. However someone came out to give me a quote to repair part of it and he’s someone that seems to like a bit of a challenge and thinks he can find a way to do the work. However having been resigned to not doing the work I’m now lying awake at night worrying about the logistics of it all ( ie removing all the junk that’s in the garage) and how much it’s going to cost. Also what if it all goes wrong and I’ve used up all of my saved up house fund. And will it start raining just as the work begins shock which is what always happens in Grand Designs.Mind you I had the dripping bathroom tap fixed yesterday and keep going to the bathroom just to gaze adoringly at my new taps.

fancythat Fri 14-Aug-26 11:51:17

I am having shelving put up in the garage. Maybe today.
All part of the big declutter.

karmalady Fri 14-Aug-26 11:49:25

I am trying to hang onto the energy I had when I woke up, it is partly used up but I want to use it today, later when it is a bit cooler. I will be working outside again

I did build some raised beds this morning, for veggies at home but I`m now wanting to thin down my gardening collection of pots, planters and propagators. They are outside in keter storage and I did wash the pots and modules some weeks ago but tbh I don`t need 50% of what I have. I must do it while I am in the mood, once that mood goes then so will the enthusiasm

It is hot outside now, I have to wait

Cabbie21 Fri 07-Aug-26 21:53:59

I have been clearing out my little study ready for the decorator on Monday. It suddenly occurred to me that I ought to be sorting things, not just removing them. So quite a bit of paper went in the recycling bin today, but the rest will need sorting before it all goes back in. The trouble is, I can’t stick at it for long, it’s so tedious. Or else I start to read all sorts of things I had forgotten about, then of course I don’t want to throw them away.

MayBee70 Fri 07-Aug-26 21:40:33

I’d like to just go and live in a caravan for a few weeks ( I did live in a caravan once) and then return and find everything had been done. I’ve spent a lifetime collecting things that made me feel happy at the time but now just weigh me down. Tried on a Seasalt dress today that a bought a year or so ago. Having lost weight it now doesn’t fit me and is far too long. And I’ve never even worn it.

madeleine45 Fri 07-Aug-26 18:49:03

I am carefully NOT looking at the many things that I really need to sort out, yet again. I havent been well and am not in the right frame of mind to contemplate a blitz right now. Having moved many times both here and abroad, you would think that I would be a competent "thrower outer" by now. but when it comes to books and paperwork and making decisions I am not. I shall no doubt be more in the mood come september. Having been a teacher and lecturer, that always feels like a start the year time and sort out time. Of course every time we moved I would swear that I would never let it get so bad again but thats life.

It just made me remember once , many years ago, when there was just my first husband and myself, and we were supposed to be getting ready to move once more. I was very tired and was fed up with his excuses of having to be in work and leaving me to do most of the sorting out,(despite the fact that I also had a full time job,) and we ended up having a blazing row. I had just about had enough of him, the firm, and everything else and suddenly said. "Right, I am leaving NOW. " He was stupid enough to say "Oh you wont really" and that was red rag to a bull!

I got my coat and bag and took the car and drove out to the countryside. It was wonderful and stress relieving, as at that time I really meant it. I sat there suddenly thinking how marvellous, I would not have to think where anything went and how to pack and how to get rid of things etc, and best of all NO decisions to make , and relished the thought that he would have to sort out every cupboard and drawer and clean up. I calmed down and went and found a pleasant cafe and had a coffee and spent a while thinking about what I really wanted.

Then I drove back home and we carried on. But my husband definitely made more of an effort, and we made many more moves over time. But that is how I feel right at this moment. I want to just go out , shut the door on the lot of it, and do a Reggie Perrin and disappear. Unfortunately , it wouldnt work, as no doubt wherever I went to, I would still have things to sort out! Ah well just have to wait for September, and a cold wet day to get me into sorting mode!

MayBee70 Fri 07-Aug-26 17:54:20

Didn’t clear everything; just rammed it all into other rooms. Roof guys turned up really early and I wasn’t even dressed blush but were really helpful and I’m hoping that they’ll fix the leak. Most people only want to do a full job not just a repair. They’ve done a lot of work in the village and come highly recommended. Wish I’d called them before. Looking at my garage last night I realised I’m a hoarder with ocd tendencies because most of my hoarding is all categorised and labelled and the stuff that’s lying round the house is just waiting to be categorised and labelled. Preferably alphabetically…

fancythat Fri 07-Aug-26 09:48:33

Mine is since my kids left.
I then did a lot of volunteering for a number of years.
I assumed I could catch the tidying back up quite quickly.

Esmay Fri 07-Aug-26 09:36:45

I did three days of decluttering last week .
It was hot .
I was appalled at the clutter .
It was far worse than I'd imagined .
I did four hours yesterday and plan to work thus afternoon .
It's actually the accumulation of stuff collected over my lifetime.

MayBee70 Thu 06-Aug-26 21:28:33

….now watching Renovation Rescue hoping for inspiration…

MissAdventure Thu 06-Aug-26 19:46:38

grin
#wewouldntwantyouanyotherway

MayBee70 Thu 06-Aug-26 17:07:12

I’m still procrastinating. And the dog has just been sick in the kitchen…( currently watching Homes Under the Hammer) #beyondhelp

MissAdventure Thu 06-Aug-26 13:55:17

Oh now there's a reason to "spring into action" MayBee!
Have you sprung, yet? smile

I have had lots and lots of company, the last few days. One in, one out.
Consequently, I'm now behind with the normal housework, so, we start again on the decluttering merry-go-round.

I need to get tidy as I have some shopping being delivered.
Washing needs to be got in, and anotjer load put out.

I just haven't the energy these days...

MayBee70 Wed 05-Aug-26 22:27:07

I’ve got a plumber coming next week to fit some new taps and someone coming on Friday morning to look at the garage roof. Hopefully this will focus my mind and spur me into action. The more I read about it the more convinced I am that I have ADHD! I remember once been in someone’s kitchen when she’d just been shopping. I watched her in amazement as, in the space of a few minutes, she unpacked everything and put it in it’s rightful place.With me I’ll still have some things roaming round the house a week later. Or still in the car…

MissAdventure Wed 05-Aug-26 21:30:43

That's the thing, isn't it?
Decluttering involves making (temporarily) more "stuff".

Brian cupboard involves getting lots of stuff out, and into my narrow hall, all jumbled up, so I can sort it and put it back.

Ive a half formulated plan, that I could fetch one box into the living room, and sort it out while I'm resting...

valdali Wed 05-Aug-26 19:28:00

It's frustrating MisA but you're doing the right thing resting.

I bought 2nd hand Ikea bookcase today. The rationale is that all the books from the floor & various small bookcases from when sons were little, or that I've been given, should fit on this decent -sized one & I can take 2 or 3 bookcases to our local charity shop .
But having got it home at 11.30 I've been too tired to do more than get washing on & off the line, so it's just more clutter till I summon the energy...

fancythat Wed 05-Aug-26 19:20:21

Keep resting.
Hope you get better soon.

MissAdventure Wed 05-Aug-26 18:52:37

There's been virtually no progress here.
In fact, its more messy than usual.
The cleaner situation isn't really working, and I'm not feeling at all well.
I have to rest so much...
It wouldn't be so bad if I knew why!

Winniewit Wed 05-Aug-26 06:03:28

The 'Sold' sign appeared yesterday morning ...so that's my incentive.
Thinking of having a skip to start with the garage.And iv seen jigsaws mentioned on here previously so I've got about 12 vintage Christmas ones to check but keep.

Indiebee Tue 04-Aug-26 22:45:27

Coincidence! I went to the tip this morning with lots of ancient electrical items - cables, keyboard, mice, remote controls, CD player, plus 2 or 3 unused tools and wire frames from the garden shed. I had been putting off getting rid of the small electric things for months/years, just in case they were useful. Had no idea what some were for! Then I found this thread!

MissAdventure Tue 04-Aug-26 16:32:02

Barbadosbelle,
Lots of people on the site had that problem a few years back.
Then, the adverts started to feature a moving screen.

I know gransnet were aware, but I can't remember how the issue was solved.