Gransnet forums

Chat

Decluttering

(561 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 14-May-26 16:31:34

Anyone?
We had a nice little thread going, no rushing, just sharing, discussing, and encouraging each other. .
I've fallen out the loop, but still have a long way to go.

fancythat Tue 04-Aug-26 15:57:19

Barbadosbelle

I have had, for about a week now, a large advertisement (different ones,) that covers the lead comment and makes it impossible to reply via their link.

Anyone else?

How do I get rid of it? There's no 'x'
.

I would email GN.
Or start a thread on SiteStuff.

MayBee70 Tue 04-Aug-26 15:04:19

FranP

I pulled out a whole load of clothes bags from the loft. My clothes are now vintage - I just need to put the effort into selling.
My DDs clothes will fit DGD in a year or 2, so do I keep?
My DIL has a habit of just binning, so I rescue and take to charity shop

Something on instagram about declutterring said to never put clothing in the bin. Because synthetics never break down and non synthetics break down and contribute to global warming. Which is why I’ve got a plastic box full of old cotton M&S knickers and t shirts that I’m convinced I will use for dusting etc one day.

Barbadosbelle Tue 04-Aug-26 14:37:24

I have had, for about a week now, a large advertisement (different ones,) that covers the lead comment and makes it impossible to reply via their link.

Anyone else?

How do I get rid of it? There's no 'x'
.

fancythat Tue 04-Aug-26 14:23:25

My DDs clothes will fit DGD in a year or 2, so do I keep?

Will she want them?

FranP Tue 04-Aug-26 14:08:26

I pulled out a whole load of clothes bags from the loft. My clothes are now vintage - I just need to put the effort into selling.
My DDs clothes will fit DGD in a year or 2, so do I keep?
My DIL has a habit of just binning, so I rescue and take to charity shop

MissAdventure Mon 03-Aug-26 22:47:21

I threw out a couple of containers today, complete with out of date contents.
Coffee in one, that must have been around five years past its sell by, and banana nesquik in the other.

I fixed the drawer on my freezer, as it had broken, due to having too much in the compartment.
It was vitally important, for some reason, for me to keep a bag of cauliflower, one of broccoli, and one of casserole veg.

I need to test them out before using them in meal.
Ridiculous I know.

madeleine45 Sun 02-Aug-26 22:30:53

The way I used to work , for the kitchen, was to always have one thing "on the go" and one spare at the ready. When I finished the first thing, I would deliberately leave the empty container on the worktop to remind me to get the next one, or add it to the shopping list. If there was a good offer on, of my regular things, I would buy a few more. My mother lived through the war, and she always had spare tins of food and at least 2 or 3 bags of flour or whatever, dont think she ever got out of the habit of getting things in when she could. It took me quite a time after my family were grown to cut down to a sensible amount.

These days you really see how quickly costs They go up, in a very short while, when you compare the prices. But I used to have a variety of things that were "in case" I had an unexpected visitor, and from the days of a hungry son and friends and my husband and hulking rugby players arriving, before that. I have now got round to having just a selection of things that I would use or enjoy and would just open the spare or extra thing if I needed to. Now it seems that the kitchen is the one place where I have something like order, apart from still keeping my tins for loaves of bread and cakes. I used to make my bread and it was lovely, and all the cakes. Being a diabetic now I dont make the cakes but somehow cannot bring myself to give away all the tins.Wish I could apply the same mentality to the rest of the flat!

MissAdventure Sun 02-Aug-26 20:16:49

smile

HelterSkelter1 Sun 02-Aug-26 19:33:02

I have thrown away out of date stuff ... really out of date ... bought just in case I decided to make something specific and there it sits.

I did just that very recently and now I am thinking about it I can't remember the recipe nor can I remember what the items were and haven't got the energy to go and have a look.
Maybe tomorrow.

fancythat Sun 02-Aug-26 19:17:07

So memo to me is to use all the jars and tins I already have before I buy any more

That is what I did.
Plus I realised I needed to stop buying ingredients "just in case I wanted to make something or other".
If I want to make something specific, I make myself wait 3 days or whatever, until I next go to the shops to buy all the ingredients.

MissAdventure Sun 02-Aug-26 19:07:52

I'm working my way through lits of old body lotions and such like.
So many of them, and I can't bring myself to throw them away.

HelterSkelter1 Sun 02-Aug-26 19:04:57

I very nearly bought a jar of mayonnaise this morning, but thought NO. Check the "pantry" first. Lo and behold 2 jars on the shelf.
So memo to me is to use all the jars and tins I already have before I buy any more. And all shampoos and body lotions etc as well.

MissAdventure Sun 02-Aug-26 18:15:28

madeline45,
I'm quite sure this thread will still be around when you're up to it.

I'm much the same, I have to rest so much that it takes forever to get te basics done, let alone any extra.
I did throw a nightie away yesterday. smile

madeleine45 Sun 02-Aug-26 17:02:20

I definitely need to do some decluttering, no doubt about it. When my husband was alive, he was very much a "thrower out" person, and would be the first one to suggest sorting some drawer or cupboard. We ended up with a workable system, where he would go through something, and leave a tray or pile for me to check over before it went. That way I saved odd little bits such as spare bits for vacuum or whatever , but mostly was fine about things going, as long as I had checked it out.

On my own , I was less likely to make an effort, but given a miserable day, did manage a fair bit, and of course it was a hard time leaving a 3 bedroomed house and large garden for the flat. However now I seem to be in the situation where I see things needing to be done, but physically not up to doing much. Alternatively, I make an effort, like the other day and get rid of quite a lot of books etc which were very well received from the local hospice shop, so I am pleased and yet within a couple of days had some hassle with a tv and now feel it is back to being a mess again. Well it will probably carry on like this until September, which as a start of the school year, and maybe a bit cooler I might be galvanised into trying again.!

HelterSkelter1 Fri 31-Jul-26 11:43:35

Good advice. I will hang on to any winter stuff for a while.

Greenfinch Fri 31-Jul-26 11:28:22

I echo you thoughts Calendargirl. Where I volunteer we do make an exception for winter coats but there is nowhere to store out of season clothes. They are put into bags and collected by a company which pays per weight so all is not lost but it means that some very good items do not see the light of day. Please hold on to your clothes until the appropriate season bearing in mind that things like tops and tee shirts will be useful all year round.

Calendargirl Fri 31-Jul-26 06:39:27

Don’t wish to sound negative, but taking winter coats to charity shops in a heatwave is not a very good idea, surely?

There will be no market for them in this weather, they will not have storage space to keep them until later in the year, may end up being disposed off, maybe at cost to said charity.

I know we all want to ‘declutter’, but sending out of season clothes doesn’t help the charity.

cornergran Fri 31-Jul-26 02:03:06

Our charity shops do a roaring trade in wedding headgear. I’m sure they would be welcome. Tights? Our Salvation Army shop would be delighted, I’m not sure about others. Maybe phone and ask?

I rarely post on this thread but do read as there have been some useful suggestions. After a major downsize 13 years ago when we moved to our new home which is less than half the size of its predecessor I took my eye off the ball for a while and woke one morning to find we had again accumulated too much ‘stuff’. My approach is little and often as physically it’s the best way for me. Nothing dramatic. Lots of negotiating with Mr C who is a bit of a squirrel. There’s currently a mixed bag of just 6 things heading for a charity shop tomorrow. Nope I mean today 😂. There is one of those bags every week. It’s working, just slowly. Good luck everyone, no matter your approach good for you for doing it.

MayBee70 Fri 31-Jul-26 00:26:46

I’m currently going through the clothes in my bedroom ( again). Quite overwhelmed with clothes which I still buy even though I spend 99% of the time in my pyjamas! I’ve got a box full of unworn tights. Do charity shops take them? Do they have a shelf life. And hats I’ve bought for weddings. Never going to wear them again.

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jul-26 17:55:49

Aw, thanks. smile
I feel in need of a kindly push in the right direction lately.

karmalady Thu 30-Jul-26 17:23:05

Tiny steps add up as you well know MissA well done

karmalady Thu 30-Jul-26 17:21:26

I have taken all the experimental insulating bubble wrap off the downstairs windows, they came off cleanly and left no residue. I have a wardrobe shelf, on which were a few huge lakeland storage bags with inners that compress with a vac cleaner. They were superb when I moved but the outer on its own will do. now The inners are bagged for the skip and are bulky. The outers are not so strong but will serve a purpose

I put the bubble wraps into two outers, labelled

One thing leads to another, I only went to remove a couple of jackets, to re-home and now I feel like tackling all the bulky vac storage bags that I kept after moving house

I thought I was going to have an easy day

Btw the bubble wrap worked very well and will go up again as soon as we get another severe heatwave

Grandmabatty Thu 30-Jul-26 14:44:14

Well done Karma

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jul-26 14:30:51

Excellent!! smile
I feel i may have a tiny declutter brewing.
I've been really out of sorts lately, but have just come back from a lovely coffee, in the shade, at the seafront.
I feel rejuvenated.
I was starting to get very resentful and probably unpleasant.
To myself, as well as others.

karmalady Thu 30-Jul-26 14:26:08

I have just had the incentive!! To properly clear my wardrobes and bedroom drawers. I just watched a youtube video, it popped up, I never went looking for it but it has given me the incentive I needed
called 15 things Scandinavians never keep in their closet

by Scandinavian secrets

I has sparked me into life, again and I am going to start with coats, including new coats and toppers I made recently from German boiled wool, it has been in my possession for years, lugged to a new house and turned into clothing but what on earth is the point? I don`t even like wearing boiled wool and there they hang, protected from moths but what on earth is the point

Salvation army here I come and first batch is going tomorrow

My things have spread and now they occupy twice as much space as when my husband was alive.