Gransnet forums

Chat

Decluttering

(561 Posts)
MissAdventure Thu 14-May-26 16:31:34

Anyone?
We had a nice little thread going, no rushing, just sharing, discussing, and encouraging each other. .
I've fallen out the loop, but still have a long way to go.

MissAdventure Wed 29-Jul-26 23:43:59

karmalady

*MissA* have a look at your house insurance, most cover for this sort of freezer incident

I've no idea where the paperwork would be, or who I'm even insured with. blush
Another consequnce of cluttet, but really, realistically, there was probably only about fifteen pounds worth of food.
A lot of it was big bags of veg.

I must deal with my paperwork at some point, though!

MayBee70 Wed 29-Jul-26 23:26:29

HelterSkelter1

Sorry that last ine was for another thread!!!

I’m curious; what thread was it meant for? I’ve just bought some feta cheese as I really fancied some!

HelterSkelter1 Wed 29-Jul-26 13:47:43

Sorry that last ine was for another thread!!!

HelterSkelter1 Wed 29-Jul-26 13:46:28

Salty food was advised. Feta, anchovies, olives and sardines. Diluted yogurt with mint to drink.

HelterSkelter1 Wed 29-Jul-26 13:33:41

Thank you. That reminds me when I defrosted my freezer my neighbour took a bag of things to store in hers for a day or 2.
Its more than that now so I must look out for her. Although she is next door sometimes months go by and I don't see her.

I was ashamed of my freezer...but it is a clean delight now.

karmalady Wed 29-Jul-26 13:21:14

MissA have a look at your house insurance, most cover for this sort of freezer incident

MissAdventure Wed 29-Jul-26 01:15:04

Greenfinch

Oh MissA what a truly awful thing to happen.

Ah well... to be honest, the door was getting hard to close because it needed defrosting so badly.

Its a real test for me - I hate food waste, plus I've had to have the oven on, in this heat!!

What with the sticky red blobs walking everywhere.. lesson learned. Defrost the freezer, instead of ramming the shelves in and breaking/cracking them.
There was no big joints of meat or anything in there, so thats a blessing.

MissAdventure Wed 29-Jul-26 00:55:28

Yes, all of the food really, apart from some chicken breasts, which were only partially defrosted.

I cooked a pastry thingy to eat tomorrow, and some expensive veggie garlic and something or other "pieces" but they were horrible.

Not gone off, just not at all as nice as they sounded.

So, I suppose in a way i have deluttered the freezer, which has needed doing for almost a year blush

I have saved some big packs of veg, but I'm thinking of just throwing those, too, and finally getting all the ice covered shelves and conpartments clean and fresh.

The leaky berries are lovely! Bright red (of course!) summer fruits which ive just had a mountain of, with vanilla yoghurt on top.

MayBee70 Wed 29-Jul-26 00:34:29

Oh no. Has a lot of other food been ruined? I hate cooking. My diet consists of tea bread or banana bread which I bake every couple of weeks, chia pudding which I make every night and salad; marmite or peanut butter on toast.And yet I seem to have loads of washing up to do and the kitchen is in total chaos all the time. I’ve been decluttering it for months but it never looks any better.

Greenfinch Tue 28-Jul-26 22:27:14

Oh MissA what a truly awful thing to happen.

MissAdventure Tue 28-Jul-26 22:01:45

I almost feel ashamed.
Not one thing has been shifted here.
I'm finding the heat such a challenge (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

Plus, today, it was discovered that "someone" had left the freezer door open, so I had to deal with that.
There was frozen fruits in the feezer, and the juice from them had been trodden all around the place, stuck to my slippers.

fancythat Mon 27-Jul-26 10:59:10

Well done Grandmabatty

And well done KarmaLady for getting to the end!!

Grandmabatty Sun 26-Jul-26 19:55:50

Inspired by this thread, I cleared out two drawers in my bedroom full of old toiletries and old makeup. It all went in the bin as it's been lurking for a number of years. Hall cupboard is next

MayBee70 Sun 26-Jul-26 18:38:07

There’s a vintage sale at a local village hall next week. I’m going to go along and get peoples cards saying that I have things that I need to sell in the future and would they buy them from me. I wish I’d realised sooner ( serves me right for not reading some of the blurb that gets posted through my letterbox) as I could possibly have booked a stall.

HelterSkelter1 Sun 26-Jul-26 18:23:15

Well done karma. I expect you feel a weight off your shoulders.
My niece didnt want the books for her grandchildren so they have gone to the local charity book shop. The sweet little lamp needs to go to a charity shop which takes electricals. I must look on line. Will pack it up anyway and it can sit on the neat pile of boxes by the front door,. Almost gone..

Lots more to do of course, but am getting there slowly.

karmalady Sun 26-Jul-26 18:07:08

I have finished, done all I can do for the foreseeable. Very many things have gone, most of my impulsive fabric stash, many printed pdf patterns and so on. I am talking about sewing stash, I have been accumulating since the 70s. Bag after bag after bag, gone

I even gave an older overlocker away, extremely good too but I am bending to my age and to not getting younger. That has been taken to my dil and I have replaced with one that can thread itself

The only category I could not reorganise is bag-making and anyway they make fine presents

I finished the big tidy up an hour ago and the whole process has been massive. I now feel ready to tackle old age with my sewing hobby intact but without the clutter. Yes I will still buy fabric but now only a considered purchase eg a special linen fabric from Germany with a special garment in mind

I said I have finished but there is still the wardrobe cull to complete. I have a growing pile of toiles (a toile is a trial garment that is made before using best fabric}

This has taken me weeks but I could not quickly sort through over 50 years of sewing items.

HelterSkelter1 Tue 21-Jul-26 18:50:12

I took 5 glasses to the charity shop today and a mirror surrounded by china flowers. Very pretty and had it for many years in a box unused. It was a present. I really really don't want any presents any more.

Tomorrow I will have a quick look in 2 cupboards to see if I can declutter a couple more things. And several small drawers. These are all places I have looked in already, but I may find more things to go.

I am hoping a niece who has GC will take some books and a small childrens night light next time she comes. The books I can get rid of, but of course the electrical night light is not so easy.
Now the weather is cooler for a little while and I can bend a bit more after cataract surgery, I must crack on.

PiscesLady Tue 21-Jul-26 15:27:35

That's good going Miss A I hope you are able to keep to your plan. You have reminded me, I have two boxes of wrapping paper on top of a wardrobe but never use it these days. I usually give money or stick to gift bags when needed. So that is something that needs to go, but not in the way at present so it will sit there for now.
My cutlery drawer fell apart. DH made a new one but I realised there was too much in there so no surprise it broke! I put everything into a box & am only returning items as I need / use them. I hope I will be able to chuck the rest out!

MissAdventure Mon 20-Jul-26 21:35:35

I now have "only" keepy stuff in Brian; all shoved into boxes.
So I'm going to have to bite the bullet, I think know, but am keeping on with pretence and get each container out, sort through it, and put it back neatly.
Also i have to decide if I need to keep Christmas paper or whether i should oust it, and just buy what I need nearer the time.

Likewise, everything else I'm keeping - decide if i should, or would it be better out and into tje recycling.

Shel1951 Fri 17-Jul-26 10:47:42

That's how I think that maybe I have ADHD , I never get an amazing lot done as I seem to make mess while decluttering its a very slow process tbh, but I am going in the right way ,they can put on my gravestone,,at least she finally decluttered

MayBee70 Thu 16-Jul-26 23:11:11

Shel1951

Yes she's good for me anyway, clutterbug,she's an organiser that has ADHD,,,,

That's interesting. I often wonder if I have ADHD which is why I'm so disorganised.

Shel1951 Thu 16-Jul-26 22:41:21

Yes she's good for me anyway, clutterbug,she's an organiser that has ADHD,,,,

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 16-Jul-26 22:34:21

MissAdventure

Ooh, I don't know what long white sticky things are?'
Unless you mean the thing under my sofa?

Indeedgrin
Useful for poking fun, ha ha.

MissAdventure Thu 16-Jul-26 22:07:30

Ooh, I don't know what long white sticky things are?'
Unless you mean the thing under my sofa?

keepcalmandcavachon Thu 16-Jul-26 21:33:33

MissAdventure

I'm suspicious of happy people..
U always think they're hiding sonething.

Long white sticky things?