Gransnet forums

Chat

Good Morning Monday 28th September 2026

(68 Posts)
Michael12 Mon 28-Sept-26 05:00:46

Good Morning Everyone,
Its dark and dry outside here in Brackley this morning.
My usual routine after breakfast, catch the bus into Bicester do a shop and maybe have a cat to those people i know.
No cycling on TV,
Housework etc ,
Health OK,
Take Care,
Mick

brook2704 Mon 28-Sept-26 14:12:20

Oh stilllearning I hope you’re doing ok and soon out of hospital, take care 💐

Borrheid55 Mon 28-Sept-26 14:04:54

Hi Marydoll , I really wish I could play another game of tennis, if only because I was at my lightest weight (due to playing for hours at Craiglockhart with my boyfriend!)
I don’t comment very often as life has got very boring. I saw rheumatology last week and was told there is nothing else on offer other than a Fibromyalgia Education programme (a series of videos then a phone call!) Do they think we fibromyalgia folk don’t research the condition? I have the worst allodynia she has seen in a long time - any touch is agony and don’t mention BP check!
I do have a proofreading job to finish today so that will distract me for a couple of hours.
DH has been wonderful, taking it all in his stride. If I could just get my head round asking for help - it’s not in my nature.
Hoping to visit my mother before Christmas but it all depends on whether I can pace myself beforehand. Maybe we will finally get to have a coffee together! X

FriedGreenTomatoes2 Mon 28-Sept-26 13:42:15

Hope you’re sorted soon and sent home reassured Stilllearning. Must have been a shock to be told you were being admitted last night. x

Marydoll Mon 28-Sept-26 13:35:04

Borrheid, how we sixth years monopolised the tennis courts at lunchtime.😂 No-one else got a look in.
I had a racket bought from Woolworth's. I kept breaking them.

DH and played, but I later had to give up, due to a tremor in my hand. Unknown to me, nn early symptom of my R.A.

I hpe life is not to painful and problematic. for you * Borrheid.*

Stilllearning, I was upset to read of your hospital stay.
Get well soon.
X

Borrheid55 Mon 28-Sept-26 12:30:45

Glammagran that’s my era of Wimbledon! I was an avid tennis player at school and teacher training college. Stan Smith was my favourite. Ilie Nastase, Arthur Ashe, Pancho Gonzales were also notable. When I worked in a doctor’s surgery in London in the ‘80s, I met Bunny Austen. He was astounded when I commented on his tennis career. He thought that as he was in his ‘80s nobody remembered him! An absolute old school gentleman. When I volunteered the information that Stan was my favourite, he told me that he was a great friend of Stan Smith and often stayed at his home when in America.
I have some thank you letters from him ,which I treasure.

TheWeirdoAgain60 Mon 28-Sept-26 12:03:55

Good morning, Michael12 and all!

Greyduster and Melanie61, thanks for the gorgeous photos!

I had quite a frightening experience here at work yesterday.

As the shop manager, I was alone as usual, apart from customers. It was about 11, and there were no customers at that time, so I was sitting behind the till with a book and a cuppa.

I saw a man come in and immediately put both of them under the counter and stood up, greeting him as he came in.

I've never seen him before, and I'm guessing his age to be ... late 50s ... casually dressed.

He marched up to the desk and said ''I like tall birds. I'm 6'4, and you?''

My flesh crawled.

I replied, " I'm 6'2," and left it at that.

Then he said ''Meet me outside this shop tonight at 6:30, and we'll go on a date''.

I replied ''Thank you, but I'm happily married''

In reality, I've never been married and never will.

He kept insisting ''Meet me here tonight at 6:30''

I replied No, I won't, and you have 3 seconds to leave the shop, or I'll call the police.

He told me I'm "really boring'', then he left.

I was physically shaking from top to toe! I'd much rather be boring than meet a creepy stranger and possibly have my dead body dumped in the sea!

I can defend myself; I trained as a wrestler, wrestling men, and once beat the stuffing out of a passenger late at night when I was driving buses because the scumbag groped and touched me as I was getting on to get in the cab, but having that shop weirdo pester me for a 'date'' was utterly terrifying! Paws crossed I'll never see him again! I only live a few minutes' walk away, so I'll be watching over my shoulder for quite a while in case he follows me. I texted my boss to let her know, and as a warning, when she's here alone, too. My tea was still hot, so if he'd have tried anything physical, I'd have thrown it in his face!

A friend of mine is obsessed with keyrings, as I am, and we were comparing those on our keys. She's got 2 keys to her house and one huge circular rubbery keyring with googly eyes on it!

64.media.tumblr.com/5b1ff070e4e427a369a669a5048af270/d45b7cdc10afd4f8-ac/s540x810/0badf610f7fa09d9e60c6a728c49db78cee5a664.jpg

I've got 4 keys, 4 keyrings, which includes a coffin! And my seahorse! We were wheezing with laughter about our collections!

See you all later!

EkwaNimitee Mon 28-Sept-26 11:35:27

My best wishes too Stillearning, I hope it’s nothing too serious and you’re soon home,

Grammaretto Mon 28-Sept-26 11:34:39

Oh Stilllearning I am sorry to hear you're in hospital but whatever it is hasn't affected your sense of humour!
I hope the family are rallying 🤞🙏

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Sept-26 11:30:02

My best wishes Stilllearning hope you’re not in too long.

Bellasnana Mon 28-Sept-26 10:58:18

Sorry to hear you are in hospital Stilllearning but hope they can find out what caused your funny turn. Get well soon.💐

RosesandLilac Mon 28-Sept-26 10:43:14

grandMattie

*R&L*, me too, I like neither chutney nor piccalilli. “Too English”. DH scolded me roundly and told me I was racist! 😂
I’m not keen on any of my jams either - I might have marmalade or jam about twice a year.

Gosh, you really are so generous with all your baking, preserves etc grandMattie , when you don’t even like them 🤗
We had a wonderful neighbour when we were farming who made goodness knows how many jars of chutney, piccalilli, jams etc every year. We collected jars for her in exchange for a sample of her wares. She continued doing it into her 90’s, an amazing achievement and she raised thousands of pounds for the church over the years. She lived to 102, and was an incredible person, much loved and sadly missed by so many.

monk08 Mon 28-Sept-26 10:15:09

Stillearning hope your funny turn is soon resolved and you can be released.💐

Grandmabatty Mon 28-Sept-26 10:09:44

Stilllearning I hope you are ok. 💐

latedecember1963 Mon 28-Sept-26 10:03:32

Hope your 'funny turn' is soon resolved, Stillearning. 🏵

Stilllearning Mon 28-Sept-26 09:52:47

Morning from Wishaw General where they are investigating a ‘funny turn’ I took at mass on Saturday night. Seems to be heart related which isn’t really a surprise. I was a bit shocked to be kept in though,
Staff lovely but hospital really packed to bursting, I am in a what used to be an examination room so it’s a bit of a contortion to get washed etc. nurse gave me a couple of towels and a small tube of something with tiny writing on it which with my macular degeneration I couldn’t read So I think I’ve just shampooed my bottom🥺!

Haven’t managed to read posts yet but sending good wishes to all.

latedecember1963 Mon 28-Sept-26 09:47:54

Good morning everyone from Lancashire.

I love the wreath, Melanie61. DH only grudgingly allows me a Christmas door wreath so I daren't push my luck.

Happy birthday, Glammagran! Hope you have a lovely day. 🎂🥂

Hope your journey goes ok, Madeleine, and that the appointment doesn't spring any nasties on you.

Someone said yesterday that appointments are sometimes coming quicker. DH got himself into a tizzy in the summer because he had a series of appointments in quick succession when he'd expected them to take ages.
He was convinced he was going to be told he had prostate cancer and how on earth was I going to cope with him being ill as well as caring for the little chap? Needless to say everything was fine. Not easy though when your brain goes into overdrive.

We're going to go to the garden centre for some bulb compost this morning and plant up our bulb lasagne. I'm going to get some fine grit to cover the top of the compost a la Monty Don to see if it will deter hungry squirrels.

I finished the circular snood. I seem to have got a twist in it, but it doesn't show once on. It became easier, but circular knitting needles aren't my natural habitat yet.

Twirliwoos has finished so time to get ourselves out and about.

Wishing you all the best day possible. 🌻

Georgesgran Mon 28-Sept-26 09:28:20

🎂🥂*glammagran*. Enjoy your day.

Susan56 Mon 28-Sept-26 09:21:54

Good morning from Shropshire.Sunny and dry at the moment.

As the forecast is good for the day we plan a laundry and gardening morning then I will probably spend the afternoon reading.

Happy birthday glammagran 🥳🎂🍾🥂hope you have a lovely day.

I hope the journey and appointment aren’t too stressful madeleine🙏🏻

Wishing everyone the best day possible🦩🌻

Sar53 Mon 28-Sept-26 09:20:13

Happy Birthday Glammagran, have a lovely day x

Ladyleftfieldlover Mon 28-Sept-26 09:16:01

Hello everyone. My message just disappeared so I’ll wish you all well!

BlueSapphire Mon 28-Sept-26 09:05:33

Hope today goes well for you Madeleine.

Happy birthday 🎂 glammagran! 💐🍾🎁🍷🍹🎂

Gagagran Mon 28-Sept-26 08:59:55

Happy Birthday Glamma -hope you have a lovely day. flowers

Grammaretto Mon 28-Sept-26 08:54:03

Happy birthday. Glammagran I hope you have a lovely day.

BlueSapphire Mon 28-Sept-26 08:47:41

Good morning everyone from a bright and sunny 🌞Northampton, a fine day forecast.
Still struggling with this cough and chest infection; am now on third day of antibiotics and hoping to feel better soon.
Another quiet day at home yesterday, reading the Sunday papers and watching tv.
Will be much the same today, but have a bit of tidying/cleaning to do in the kitchen. Also will try to get the en-suite cleaned. I may need to call the plumber as I dropped a bar of soap down the shower plug-hole at the weekend and it has gone too far to be pulled out!
My eye is feeling so much better with all the discomfort after surgery now gone - it had felt as though there was something in it for a few days. I will just keep soldiering on with the eye drops - 7 times a day for three weeks!

Easy dinner tonight of ham, egg and chips after last night's roast gammon.

Not read any posts yet, about to do that now; will wish everyone a pleasant day.

Jaxjacky Mon 28-Sept-26 08:40:28

Morning from a cooler S Hants.
Happy Birthday Glammagran 🎂🥂have the best day.
I do hope your journey is smooth Madeleine and your appointment favourable.
Usual Sunday yesterday, we did have some steady rain for a few hours, good, more required.
Today is voluntary phone, last week was busy, who knows what today will bring.
Have a pleasant day all
🦩🦩