Gransnet forums

Chat

Is the NHS good at everything?

(9 Posts)
Franbern Tue 29-Sept-26 16:10:19

I have spent the last eight days under the care of our local hospital Emergency Service. Did not want to become an in-patient, I have been going to their special ward for Emergency Day care every other day, often for several hours. I cannot fault, in any way, whatsoever the wonderful care I have been given, both medically and socially. Mug of tea given almost as soon as I arrive there (proper earthenware mug), and bicccies, and when i am have been there most of the day given sandwiches,

All the staff from receptionist, through all nurses and doctors were gentle and kind.

Have now been discharged from them although will now need further meeting with my Endo team regarding the situation which caused this emergency.

TakeThat7 Tue 29-Sept-26 14:07:15

The NHS used to be great but not now what was wrong with doctors seeing patients now you might get a doctor on the phone and then begrudgingly oh you might need to come in for an appointment

TakeThat7 Tue 29-Sept-26 14:01:27

It's not been the same since co vid You could still get doctors appointments Now you walk in a surgery and the waiting room is empty or nearly empty where have all the doctors gone It was a five hour wait at the walk in centre in town a few days ago if you had to go there instead and as they said an even longer wait at A and E Is there a massive shortage of doctors or what The phone at 8 am idea is awful you can be on the phone for 8 am and not get an appointment What happened to booking an appointment ahead why has that gone

Ilovecheese Tue 29-Sept-26 13:55:52

I think we have to accept that many age related chronic conditions can't realistically be cured. We know our own bodies best in later life and have to find our own ways of managing sometimes.
Having said that, I have recently had a tremendously helpful appointment with an NHS physiotherapist who has made me feel really hopeful that one of my conditions can be alleviated.

Cossy Tue 29-Sept-26 13:53:43

-Bluebelle we don’t have email, but we have an extremely efficient and effective app, which covers literally anything and everything.

Cossy Tue 29-Sept-26 13:52:04

Perhaps I’m lucky, can always get a GP appointment, am asked if it’s critical or routine and then either wait a day or so or maybe up to two weeks.

I have see 999 and 111 for ascent or calling an ambulance. It’s always fine, with 15 minutes for my husbands heart attack, 1 hour for my pancreatitis and up to 6 hours sadly for my mothers fall.

It’s understaffed and under funded

BlueBelle Tue 29-Sept-26 13:44:54

I ve got nothing but praise for it both emergency and routine have been good to me, and my doctor’s surgery is excellent. Since they changed to the emailing for appointments as opposed to sitting on the phone for half an hour. On the two occasions I ve felt I needed a GP I had my appointment and/ or medication within a few hours of emailing them

fancyflowers Tue 29-Sept-26 13:33:33

I agree that the NHS is good for emergency care (if you can get an ambulance to get you to a hospital), but for general GP services, there is still much to be desired.

ROMILO Tue 29-Sept-26 13:27:40

I think the NHS is excellent at trauma and acute illness but not so good at the on going chronic illnesses that affect many of us. As an 83 Yr old female I sometimes feel that I am in the past my sell by
date and a bit of a nuisance category!