Gransnet forums

Chat

Your Favourite Cathedral

(59 Posts)
Musicgirl Tue 29-Sept-26 23:48:03

Inspired by a Mumsnet thread, I thought it would be an enjoyable, gentle thread for us. I’ll start. My absolute favourite cathedral has always been Norwich, my home cathedral. The cloisters and the ceiling bosses, which tell the whole story of the Bible, are particular favourite features, as is the cathedral close outside. I am also very fond of Lichfield cathedral with its three spires and Chester cathedral built of red sandstone. We now live about ten miles from Peterborough and, while the rest of the city is somewhat depressed for many reasons, the cathedral is lovely.

kittylester Wed 30-Sept-26 09:58:50

I think they all have an appeal - all exude an air of calm.

I grew up in Derby and went to the cathedral often so it has quite a homely feel for me.

Living near to Leicester means that I have been to events at the Cathedral quite often. It really feels like part of the community and we have a king buried there.

Durham Cathedral is very special - not least because I spoke to Bryan Ferry there.

I echo the choice of Reims - beautiful.

Marydoll Wed 30-Sept-26 09:53:44

GillyMo

Toledo is beautiful.

Our hotel room overlooked the roof of the cathedral!

merlotgran Wed 30-Sept-26 09:52:16

Ely and Salisbury. Happy memories of both.

Casdon Wed 30-Sept-26 09:47:37

There is something very special about St David’s, because it has an air of mystery about it, when you walk down the hill to get there you feel you’ve stumbled into another, ancient world. Location is as important as interior and exterior beauty for a cathedral I think. My other favourite is Southwell Minster.

grumppa Wed 30-Sept-26 09:40:10

Four years of walking in crocodile to and from my prep. school to Chelmsford, for Sunday morning service, did rather put me off the place at the time, GrannyGravy13. But attending an ordination service there a few years ago revealed a soft spot for it, in spite of my atheist convictions.

Cossy Wed 30-Sept-26 09:20:45

Ely Cathedral and York Minster.

Two very beautiful buildings.

However, how lucky are we t have so man beautiful churches and cathedrals dotted across our lands.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 30-Sept-26 09:20:12

I would struggle to pick just one.

St.Pauls and Westminster Cathedral deserve a mention, I remember them from my school days. Attended a carol concert at Westminster Cathedral, the acoustics are amazing.

I have a soft spot for Chelmsford Cathedral, not as breathtaking as the others mentioned, but it feels homely to me.

Visited York Minster for the first time this year and was blown away. We attended one of the daytime prayer services, I was moved to tears.

MiniMoon Wed 30-Sept-26 09:19:13

Durham Cathedral is absolutely divine with all its differently carved columns.
Carlisle Cathedral, which is local to me has a very beautiful east window which was recently voted Britain's favourite stained glass window, and of course, St. Paul's in London.

Sago Wed 30-Sept-26 09:18:44

Ripon because the Cathedral is so much a part of the City, we often go to evensong.
It is also free!
The crypt dating from 672 is the oldest serving structure of any Cathedral.
We once went to the carol service where the choirmaster had us all sing While Shepherds Watch to the tune of “On Ilkley Moor Bar Tat”.
Great fun

Next is Lincoln, we have an annual membership as we live close by, it was used in the filming of the Da Vinci Code..

eazybee Wed 30-Sept-26 09:09:38

Chichester, very much part of the town centre, and one that does not charge admittance.

valdali Wed 30-Sept-26 09:02:58

Ely and Salisbury, Gloucester close second

MartavTaurus Wed 30-Sept-26 08:49:33

What an interesting thread to hear people's personal views.

DH is a cathedral chorister and I have attended services across the country. Every cathedral is special in its own way.

I'm going to choose Reims because the blue Chagall stained glass windows took my breath away.

Greyduster Wed 30-Sept-26 08:43:28

When I wrote my post about Durham this morning, I had a phrase I use about it that I simply couldn’t bring to mind then. It is this: it breathes its history into you as soon as you step through the doors.

Luckygirl3 Wed 30-Sept-26 08:21:08

Hereford .... mainly because I have some sung there countless times and enjoyed so many beautiful concerts there. It has a sweet little chapel there where I used to take the children ... it has a stained glass window with little creatures in it that they loved finding. It also has the Mappa Mundi which is now housed separately and you need a ticket, but for years it was just on the wall. I commissioned a choral work about it which included children all singing about the fantastical creatures in the map.

I also love St David's... wonderful memories of festival week when we would walk the coast path all day then soak up beautiful music in the cathedral all evening.

Jaxjacky Wed 30-Sept-26 07:54:27

Winchester, the local one and my office overlooked it for the last few years I was working.

Georgesgran Wed 30-Sept-26 07:23:49

Obviously Durham. As written by Bill Bryson ‘the best cathedral on Earth’.

Greyduster Wed 30-Sept-26 07:23:45

I also have a soft spot for St David’s, silverlining.

TerriBull Wed 30-Sept-26 07:16:04

Hard to say really because we can only judge the ones we've seen. I thought Canterbury was spactacular. We were there last winter, you have to pay to go in now. I also loved Westminster Abbey when I worked in London. Both places steeped in history and very interesting in what they contain.

silverlining48 Wed 30-Sept-26 07:00:50

St David’s in Wales, stunning location

Bassoues Wed 30-Sept-26 06:56:02

But a very close second for me
comes Wells cathedral

Bassoues Wed 30-Sept-26 06:53:57

Salisbury cathedral

Greyduster Wed 30-Sept-26 06:29:17

Without a doubt, Durham. Perched high on a promontory overlooking the River Wear, it is solid, and very true to its origins with the most perfect examples of Norman architecture you will see anywhere in England. It also houses the shrine of St Cuthbert.

GillyMo Wed 30-Sept-26 06:05:57

Toledo is beautiful.

JamesandJon33 Wed 30-Sept-26 05:57:20

St Albans.

grandMattie Wed 30-Sept-26 04:30:00

Having lived in the Canterbury area for 35 years, obviously it’s my favourite. Like sueD, I have been in and out, my children grew up going round and especially enjoying the “pocket watch” - a portable sundial.
Then DD got a scholarship and did her A levels at King’s, so I got to know more of the precincts. By that time, one had to pay to go in, unless you were a regular worshiper in the diocese, when you could get a free pass. Happy days!
I haven’t been to many other cathedral but Winchester and Lincoln are very lovely and interesting.