Gransnet forums

Chat

Your Favourite Cathedral

(58 Posts)
YorkLady Wed 30-Sept-26 02:16:33

York..obviously 😂but Durham is beautiful

crazyH Wed 30-Sept-26 02:02:46

Canterbury Cathedral was on my friend’s bucket list. So her lovely son decided to take her and invited me to join them, as company for his mum😂. It was a long trip but well worth it.
So I would say Canterbury Cathedral is my favourite,

SueDonim Wed 30-Sept-26 01:04:49

Canterbury, where I was born, though not in the cathedral! When I had my first baby, one of the routes I took into town with the pram was through the cathedral.

In those days you could walk through King’s school, the cloisters and into the cathedral itself. There was always work being done so workmen were happy to put planks down on steps so I could get through easily. I have such happy memories of that.

Then there are its treasures, the stained glass, Thomas a Becket’s martyrdom, the Black Prince relics, the crypt and much more.

I now live hundreds of miles away so a visit is a rare thing.

fiorentina51 Wed 30-Sept-26 00:44:23

Lincoln and York Minster...and Durham.

Purplepixie Wed 30-Sept-26 00:04:53

Durham. My home town.

grumppa Tue 29-Sept-26 23:57:18

Norwich and Ely.

Fallingstar Tue 29-Sept-26 23:50:24

Canterbury or York Minster.

Musicgirl Tue 29-Sept-26 23:48:03

Inspired by a Mumsnet thread, I thought it would be an enjoyable, gentle thread for us. I’ll start. My absolute favourite cathedral has always been Norwich, my home cathedral. The cloisters and the ceiling bosses, which tell the whole story of the Bible, are particular favourite features, as is the cathedral close outside. I am also very fond of Lichfield cathedral with its three spires and Chester cathedral built of red sandstone. We now live about ten miles from Peterborough and, while the rest of the city is somewhat depressed for many reasons, the cathedral is lovely.